Feels like the iOS / Android disparity is growing not shrinking

Charge 5% to remove the bloody thing then :joy_cat: :upside_down_face::eyes:

3 Likes

Iā€™d rather not turn this into ā€œa thingā€ but I feel the need to nip this in the bud right now. Iā€™m really sorry that you feel this way, Richard, but I personally donā€™t feel weā€™ve ever ignored anyone. Some things might have slipped through the cracks, particularly if they were suggested at a busy time, but I really struggle with the idea that weā€™ve deliberately ignored anyone.

If you, or anyone reading this, truly feels this way, you can tag me publicly or DM me on here at any time. As several forum members could attest to, Iā€™ve also responded to requests and info on Twitter on days where Iā€™ve not even been working.

Itā€™s very easy for this to escalate, where a person might read what you wrote and then say to someone else ā€œMonzo ignores helpful suggestionsā€ and I really, truly donā€™t think thatā€™s the case, so please, if you feel it is, give me some more details and weā€™ll look into what happened.

14 Likes

Jesus Christ.

People are complaining about having or not having a next-to-useless graph.

Iā€™d rather see some much improved functionality around Payees and Payments. RBS and FD are miles ahead of Monzo on stuff like this.

Iā€™m patient enough to wait with Monzo because I know itā€™s a preview and Iā€™m fortunate enough to have the preview CA.

I canā€™t believe the complaints over a UI indulgence over and above UX and decent functionality that blows legacy banks out of the water.

Iā€™ll wait.

5 Likes

It was tongue in cheek, though it feels useful stuff like SEPA payments, secondary accounts, etc very much take back place after more gimicky stuff like graphs and emojis. Compare this with companies like bunq who provide multiple accounts, multiple cards, shared accounts, etc and it seems Monzo more interested in how the app looks than what customers can do!

1 Like

for new users I can confirm Simon is regularly on at all hours when he should be sleeping or on holiday and even the CEO Tom is known to pop on and respond to posts. Something you do not see with your typical banks

6 Likes

@simonb Iā€™m not complaining about being ignored by Monzo, if Iā€™ve ever had any issues I tag or PM and it gets resolved.

Iā€™m happy

Now gimmie a T-Shirt and some merch! :joy_cat:

2 Likes

We are looking forward to Monzo making a run of the recent winning T shirt designā€¦it was cool

Thanks for clarifying!

SEPA payments and secondary accounts are things that require the full current account infrastructure to be completed before we can act on them. We definitely arenā€™t ignoring these things and are working flat out on completing the CA stack and rolling it out to all customers. Iā€™m sure youā€™d agree that SEPA payments and secondary accounts donā€™t come ahead of completing the basics for the current account!

I think itā€™s a tad unfair to suggest we care more about UI than functionality. I donā€™t think thatā€™s the case. However, slight visual updates can sometimes be things that we can put together quite quickly and dedicate a small amount of time to for a quick rollout. Unfortunately thatā€™s the not the case with large features!

The fact is that right now, more than 90% of our customers are on prepaid, which we are shutting down in a few months. Right now all hands are on deck ensuring that the CA is ready for them to move to, and that means making the basics bulletproof. Additional functionality will definitely follow! Weā€™ve tried our best to be transparent about the timelines here and I think weā€™ve largely done a good job, but unfortunately some features just canā€™t be nailed down to a specific date or time-frame and there can be many different reasons for that!

6 Likes

For me the clarity on international payments was not there. It was not clear if Monzo planned to do payments themselves in their own app or if they only planned to refer users to a third party thru their marketplace such as Transferwise. It was not clear if you just planned to do SEPA or if you also planned to do SWIFT. While the card in Trello showed scant data most info was obtained thru rumour and hearsay on this community which implied Transferwise would do it rather than Monzo, or by checking Monzo job ads and seeing if they mentioned any roles covering international transfers. This is just an observation. While it was not as clear as I would have liked Monzo has been miles ahead of any other bank or emoney on transparency be they competitors or not.

2 Likes

That is fair.

I would venture to say that, perhaps in the past when you had asked, some of the decisions had yet to be made.

Perhaps we need to do a weekly moderated Q&A thread where I can ensure that all possible questions get answered? :grinning:

6 Likes

All kudos to @Alexs too for doing a Wiki on what we know so far about the Current Account

6 Likes

The open office live streams are great (and appreciated) but a Q&A here or on Slack could help reduce any further confusion around Monzo direction. I for one didnā€™t realise until last nightā€™s presentation that the billed Android / iOS ā€œparityā€ thatā€™s being worked towards is actually CA app parity, and not PP app feature parity. This was disappointing to hear, as an Android user keen to use spend targets.

Monzo are already miles ahead than any other business for openness on product development, so who knows if additional Q&A sessions will help satisfy the need for information whilst you guys are busy getting everything built.

3 Likes

I was also disappointed, I think the problem is that an ā€˜exciting Android updateā€™ was promised, which turned out to be seamless conversion of prepay to CA. Thatā€™s definitely important but itā€™s not what I was hoping for, Iā€™ve been waiting (fairly patiently!) for budgeting tools on Android for almost a year.

If nothing had been said then expectations wouldnā€™t have been raised.

It would also help if there was clarity on exactly what Monzo means by parity.

Monzo is hiring Android developers, which was mentioned several times, hopefully that will improve things.

8 Likes

I donā€™t think it makes sense to build features for an app that is going away in a few months?

1 Like

Spot on!
ā€¦

1 Like

I agree. What I meant was the lack of porting the likes of Pulse graph and Targets from iOS to Android. From what I gathered the parity statement was around general CA account functionality - with the significant absence of these two unique selling points.

1 Like

Disagree. I think the aim is to get parity on things like this, however CA has to come first before they can implement more ā€œexcitingā€ features like Pulse graph. There have been many changes under the hood to make the app compliant with banking regulations :slight_smile:

I donā€™t think anyone disputes that CA readiness and compliance comes first.

Just in this case from my (an android userā€™s) perspective ā€œparityā€ isnā€™t really parity.

6 Likes

I always thought that parity meant that when the current account launches that ALL features on iOS would be on android? Is that not what is happening?

4 Likes

It was clarified to be ā€œall current account related featuresā€.

The Android team have confirmed theyā€™re working on exporting and touch ID though so I guess this is just about the pulse graph?

It seems for the sake of parity they should get on and make it but I have a feeling it might be an absolute nightmare to try and implement, hence why it keeps getting put off

2 Likes