Everything I wish I’d known about money at university

That would be assuming you’d have the same salary without your education.

I agree. You can easily pay it off if your willing to push your career. My main consideration is that a lot of people aren’t, and to pay it off your looking at probably I believe 65k+ per year minimum to keep up with interest payments and to pay it off before 30 years.

The main thing though isn’t necessarily that people won’t pay it off but more that it simply doesn’t matter if you pay it off or not.

Unless you make a significant salary (or live in Scotland, or get funding) your going to be paying it probably for at least 20 or more years anyway, so the actual difference doesn’t really change. And the amount to pay on the lower end of the salary range isn’t a huge amount of money, and assuming it wasn’t a waste of time, you are realistically making more money because of your degree than not.

1 Like

So do taxes? It’s not like it takes away all your income, you shouldn’t be calculating it into any costs.

It’s essentially invisible, it comes off before You see your money so you can calculate costs based on your post tax income.

It certainly isn’t invisible when you do self assessment.

It isn’t invisible when you have chunks taken every month from your paycheck and bigger chunks from your bonus that your peers who took a different route don’t pay.

I’ve lived it, don’t tell me how it is.

3 Likes

Just because you’re not looking at it doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. It’s the price you pay for a specific investment in your education, and I think it’s helpful to think about it like that rather than treating it like it’s free. There are other alternatives with different costs and returns.

Some useful info:

If you’re a full time student from Wales, you may be able to get £1,500 of your Maintenance Loan written off.

The change in time to get debt wiped off between plan 1 and plan 2 is ridiculous, should have changed our terms when plan 2 came in

But it is what it is

The masters loan only covered the LPC from student finance Wales the year after I graduated. Luckily I’ve already paid that off, early may I add.

1 Like

For extra fun I’m (hopefully) staring an open uni degree in October so I’m currently best buddies with student finance trying to get funding sorted. It brings back memories :grin:

Ooh, what are you studying?

This pay day I’m looking to move my finances and start voluntary repayments. I don’t like having a student loan :frowning_face:

BA(hons) Politics, Philosophy and Economics

Student Discounts again :bananadance:

It depends on your mindset. I don’t give mine a second thought but if I was earning enough to see deductions then I’d probably be the same as you.

Depending on the interest rate of the student loan would you be better putting it in a high interest savings account and paying back a larger lump sum at a later date?

1 Like

Like tax…

On the bonuses, you can usually claim this back (several years if you haven’t previously claimed). Useful if you don’t believe you will pay it off quickly and want the cash for other things.

I’d check the numbers carefully because this is almost always not worth it.

1 Like

I’m not earning enough to pay back yet so it’s just building. (3.3%)

I have a reasonable sum to pay back at the moment (from an ISA I recently closed), I haven’t paid any back yet, and the additional £1,500 it will reduce by.

I’ve just started a high interest saver to build some more money, and still have a reasonable amount sitting in an account not earning interest.

1 Like

@Eden is right. It’s a terrible financial decision to pay it back voluntarily. I’m not even sure when it would be worth it but it’s definitely not in your case.

1 Like

As others have said don’t rush to pay it off in lump sums.

Save that money for yourself. The only time I’d ever pay off a lump sum is if it I was going to clear it completely, in the knowledge that I would have paid it off over the somewhat longer term anyway. (And it was cash I couldn’t earmark for other purposes.)

You run the risk on confusing them further. Why would you ever do that either?

Saves on interest (minimal), but more importantly, stops them from taking more than they should, and then you having to claim it back.

When you have 12 months left, ask them to stop deducting it from your salary and set up a direct debit to clear.

1 Like

On the bonuses, you can usually claim this back (several years if you haven’t previously claimed). Useful if you don’t believe you will pay it off quickly and want the cash for other things.

No, you can’t. You can only do this if the total amount you earnt that year was less than the threshold required for student finance repayments to commence.

1 Like

Just thought I’d throw in here that for Plan 2 at least there is value in paying early in circumstances where you would end up paying the full amount before the write off point. Always best to calculate for your own circumstances rather than following blanket advice on the Internet

2 Likes

Right now, demand for developers is so high that unconventional paths to employment are much more easier. But once supply and demand equal out you’ll see entry requirements for jobs go up in line with other professions.

That’s not to say that a degree will be an absolute must but I’ve no doubt that it will be the norm.

1 Like

I disagree. Neither Shopify nor Apple asked about my education when they reached out to me, and it’s not because they’re already hiring every computer science postgrad they can find. It’s because a degree is not a reliable indicator of skill, experience, or ability; not to mention culture fit.

1 Like