Emma Feedback Thread / Q&A

I met with Chip and Wealthify approached us, so just keep bothering them.

3 Likes

Ah, OK. I was expecting something like that.

Don’t have a payday at all! Would be nice to have an earnings category instead…

We have income.

I’ve been using Emma since the very early days and I find it indispensable for keeping track of my accounts. I have a few comments and feature requests that would make it perfect though:

1. Export of data - Emma very nicely collects the data from my various accounts, I’d like to be able to export it all as CSV so I can analyse it easily

2. I need to be able to record the balances for non-supported accounts to give my overall financial picture

3. Custom categories - the existing ones don’t really fit how I would prefer to budget

4. Analytic trends - are my savings increasing, my debts decreasing, my spends in categories increasing/decreasing?

5. Auto tag holiday spend in the existing categories - does my eating out spend increase on holiday? I don’t want to just lump it all as ‘holiday’ but I do want to access the total spend.

6. Group categorisation/tagging - select multiple items and categorise them in one go

7. Rules - I have spend at the same merchant that should go into different categories - the local M&S supplies lunch but most of my M&S spend is clothes. So anything under ay 10 quid should be classed as eating out and over 10 quid classed as clothing.

8. Comparison of the current period spend in a category to the average spend, preferably with a weighted average of the previous spending to reduce the importance of very old data.

9. An annual budget for categories - my transport spend has monthly components and annual components, so if I set a monthly budget that reflects the normal spend, when the tax or insurance is due it blows that budget.

10. Cumulative spend either for the year or tax year in each category (cf against annual budget too)

11. A total taxable interest figure for filling in the tax return - would need to tag accounts as taxable/non taxable but should be trivial to do given the code is there to accumulate bank charges

12. Show the effect on future wealth of carrying debt

Comments welcome!

7 Likes

Would love 1, 2, 6, 11!
Dummy accounts are in the pipeline apparently, so that will give you 2.

I’ve posted on this thread about 6… Real resistance from Emma to anything vaguely manual, I think! It’s really painfully slow to recategorise even a single transaction at the moment…

11 has also been suggested.

Patience is a virtue I suppose :slight_smile:

it is.

This is what we are doing next: https://twitter.com/emma_finance/status/1063731894569844737.

On top of these, upload a receipt, merchant stats in each transaction and search might come as well.

2 Likes

Almost keeping up with user demands then :wink:

The ability to rename transactions will be very nice!

🔮 Committed spending / predictions.
💸 Multiple paydays.
🧙‍♂️ Emma’s Insights / notifications.
🛒 Custom categories.
📰 Export of data.
✏️ Rename of transactions.
💰 Manual accounts

Good stuff!

2 Likes

I was under the impression that marketplace was launched based on release notes.

Is there a launch date for it?

What we mean by marketplace is doing integrations that make sense with other services. There will never be a “Marketplace” section in the app. It just doesn’t make sense and brings a lot of confusion. We did two integrations with Wealthsimple and PensionBee (read-only) to start with. We are bringing on board a few other services and will do write integrations next year; but again, this is just a side project.

So far, we have approached every service, Chip and Wealthify have shown interest, so I hope they hurry up. :slight_smile:

1 Like

In which case, I would suggest not referring to it as marketplace and just refer to them as integrations/connections. I think your use of the term marketplace is what has caused confusion.

1 Like

Okay, thanks for your feedback.

1 Like

If and when Emma becomes a payment initiator, the difference between the marketplace as envisioned by Monzo and “integrations” on Emma is going to be wafer thin.

The essential functionality in both will (presumably) be the ability to fully control a third party service from within the app.

Yes, but as I said we can just integrate a savings solution, an investment one and a couple more. We don’t need to have a vast choice of providers all in one place. Choice is good, but confuses a lot of people. Especially when we are trying to “teach” them how to manage their money.

1 Like

A couple of months ago I added a poll to this thread so people could indicate banks they would most like integrated into Emma. A bunch of new banks and other financial services have been integrated since then, so perhaps its time for a new poll. This time open to any financial service, not just banks.

Tried a wiki-based poll earlier today that others could edit. Didn’t work - turns out polls can’t be edited in an ongoing way. So I’ve had that deleted and here’s another idea. Below you’ll find a list of banks and other financial account providers not currently integrated in Emma (way too much time on my hands today!). On Tuesday, I’ll create a poll based on this list. If you’d like something else included in the poll please send me suggestions by Tuesday (via direct message, to avoid unnecessary posts in this thread). Virgin Money not included in list as Emma have announced it will be included soon.

AJ Bell Youinvest, Aldermore Bank, Allied Irish Bank, Amazon Credit Card, ASDA Money, Atom Bank, Aqua Credit Card, Bank of Ireland, Bestinvest, Birmingham Midshires, Cavendish Online, Charles Stanley Direct, Charter Savings Bank, Chelsea Building Society, Citibank, Chip, Clydesdale Bank, Coventry Building Socitey, Cumberland Building Society, Danske Bank, Debenhams Credit Card, eToro, Evestor, Fidelity International, First Trust Bank, Freetrade, Funding Circle, Halifax Share Dealing, Hargreaves Lansdown, House of Fraser Credit Card, Interactive Investor, iWeb Share Dealing, John Lewis Credit Card, Klarna, Leeds Building Society, Marcus Bank, Marks & Spencer, Moneybox, Moneyfarm, Monmouthsire Building Society, Monese, N26, National Savings & Investments, Newcastle Building Society, Nottinham Building Society, Norwich & Peterborough Building Society, Nutmeg, OakNorth, Paragon Bank, Plum, Post Office Bank, Progressive Building Society, Ratesetter, RCI Bank, Revolut, Saffron Building Society, Sainsbury’s Bank, The Share Centre, Shawbrook Bank, Skipton Building Society, Tandem, Tide, Transferwise, True Potential, Ulster Bank, Vanguard Investor, Vanquis Bank, Wealthify, West Bromwish Building Society, Yorkshire Bank, Yorkshire Building Society, Zopa

1 Like

What do you suggest?

Let people vote for all the options they are waiting for?

1 Like