Email Receipts in Monzo

Joe & the Juice send HTML receipts if you use their app.

1 Like

Does anyone know of a way to delay the forwarding of emails? Iā€™m finding that most of my receipts fail to process because the email from Amazon arrives a good few minutes before the transaction registers in Monzo.

What would also be awesome, is a way to pair an eBay (or any receipt) receipt with a PayPal transaction

1 Like

This is something that I do need to look into, especially for Amazon orders, as I agree it is a problem that needs solving.

eBay receipts should match with PayPal transactions, depending on the receipt - others will too.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll have to try that as I wasnā€™t aware Paypal/eBay worked like that

As for the Amazon receipts, you could just add a 5 minute delay to receipt processing if its an Amazon transaction.

Artificially delaying like that isnā€™t something I want to do as it doesnā€™t account for a large number of other things with Amazon.

Worth noting that often Amazon does take money immediately and it works gloriously for those.

In the short-term Iā€™d recommend just re-forwarding the email once the transaction has happened. Iā€™ll continue to investigate solutions for this.

It depends whoā€™s providing the product. Where the item is provided by a third party seller, Amazon will authorise funds within 30 minutes (unless thereā€™s an issue). The money is then collected on confirmation of dispatch by the seller.

Where the item is provided by Amazon, or a third party seller using fulfilled by amazon, the funds will be collected almost immediately.

2 Likes

That does make sense, although Iā€™ve just ordered 2 separate items from Amazon. One was FBA and one was direct - both emails arrived before the transaction in Monzo.

@Sherlock As you expand, Iā€™d imagine youā€™ll find more scenarios where this happens? A possible solution could be to parse the email for the data, and then store it for say 60 minutes. You could then poll the Monzo API every 5 minutes to look for a matching transaction.

Throw up a processing tab on the Account page, and gives users the option to delete the data for processing if required?

1 Like

Maybe retry Amazon transactions automatically after X amount of time if they fail and no failed notification the first time.

Appreciate all of the ideas, rest assured this discussion has already taken place on Slack with my testers earlier in the process. On a big list of priorities to fix.

3 Likes

I need a way to get my amazon receipt (details on items puchased) into the Monzo transaction note section automatically. I am not sure I understand if this service would be able to do that?

But still iā€™d be interested to test it and be part of your Slack channelā€¦

Hey :wave: Support for Amazon was one of the first things we wanted to do - and weā€™ve had great success since it was introduced :slightly_smiling_face: It doesnā€™t add it to the ā€œnote sectionā€ but does add it a receipt to the transaction which can be obtained my tapping into the transaction. (See screenshots within the thread)

1 Like

Hi James. This looks amazing. Iā€™d love to take part if possible. Thanks. Paul

Feel free to DM me!

Quick question; Iā€™ve had great success with a number of receipts. The service is excellent.

I was curious; should I just forward all receipts (even though I know they will fail), do you get a list of these to add to your backlog of suppliers to create support to automatically, or should I post those failures here (or somewhere else) so you know about them?

Thanks

David

1 Like

I would encourage you not to send all of your receipts through - I pay based on the amount of emails coming in, not the amount of receipts which actually get saved.

Iā€™m still going through a backlog of merchant requests (I have about 100) which Iā€™m prioritising based on my perceived opinion on their size and usefulness.

If you have any failures, I can help resolve them via DM.

2 Likes

Thanks. good to know.

Edit: is the backlog list public anywhere?

Google Sheet link has been shared a few times in the thread, but for your convenience:

thanks again. my bad, should have searched :flushed:

Thanks James, that certainly sounds like a solution to my problem, receipts should be more than enough to link a payment transaction to the actual items I purchased when reviewing my spending.

How can I get access to the tool?

My DMs is currently the way to go!