Dixons Carphone data breach

Almost 6 million cards may have just been compromised apparently!

Link

1 Like

And then they wonder why I refuse to give out personal information like name, postcode and email address when returning stuff to them… well maybe that’s why? :joy:

1 Like

You know, I couldn’t care less whether they loose my credit card data - it’s not my responsibility.

But, as @anon23935806 noted, private details are a much bigger deal!

2 Likes

Some more details:

There was “an attempt to compromise” 5.8 million credit and debit cards but only 105,000 cards without chip-and-pin protection had been leaked, it said.

But sadly also:

The 1.2 million personal data records accessed by the hackers consisted of non-financial information such as names, addresses and email addresses.

So, it looks like they also accessed this type of data, which is as I said above much more crucial!

It is investigating the hacking attempt, which began in July last year.

:dizzy_face:

2 Likes

I’m glad these big companies take data protection and PCI compliance seriously and properly encrypt all this sort of data… Oh wait…

Big, big fines coming their way! First GDPR case? :thinking: (GDPR isn’t just marketing related - It also included personal data breaches etc)

2 Likes

First GDPR case?

:popcorn:

2 Likes

If this really dates back to July 2017, then I don’t think so.

However, even under pre-GDPR legislation companies could (and have been [oops, did some say Carphone Warehoue?]) fined for databreaches, although GDPR fines are of course potentially much higher than pre-GDPR fines. GDPR is really not the game change that people make it out to be…

3 Likes