Disney Plus - General Discussion

Black Widow & more coming to Disney+. Excellent news.

3 Likes

How much? Jeez

$30 in the article.

Likely to be £19.99 in the UK if other Premier Access are to go by.

I will go see it at the cinema on a bigger screen and at a fraction of that price!

From techradar:
“It’s unclear how much Black Widow will cost at release, but Premier Access has so far stayed consistent at USD $29.99 / GBP £19.99 / AUD $34.99 / EUR €21.99 per movie. By paying this on top of your subscription fee, you essentially get early access to the film on the streamer, and you can watch it as many times as you like while you’re subscribed to Disney Plus.”

I’ve always liked the idea of streaming/cinema landing at same time, but in terms of price it only works out for a family really. Cinema still wins for singletons, unless of course you just wait for it to be available later on at no extra cost.

1 Like

Looks like a not-as-good version of LetterBoxd. Bonus for Letterboxd, you could probably import your spreadsheet in some form.

1 Like

There’s no fun trying to smuggle snacks into your own living room

Marvel needs a big screen

3 Likes

Reminds me of the later seasons of Person of Interest! May have to try this!

I never watched the latter versions of Person Of Interest.

May return for another look at that.

That’s my category :grin:

My local cinema still has that rule, however, I go over to Empire Cinema where you are allowed to take your own in, strangely. (Or at least you could until they lost loads of revenue due to lockdown closures. Wonder if that policy will change)

2 Likes

I’d definitely recommend it, especially if you’re into AI and it’s moral and political repercussions. The first season is a bit of a slow burner but the entire series is consistently stellar throughout from start to finish. It remains the best tv show I’ve seen IMO. Not sure what platform it’s on these days though. Probably prime.

ETA: HBO Max exclusive when that launches here later this year in 2025 :flushed:.

2 Likes

Amazon Prime: at an additional cost
Netflix: No
Disney Plus: No
NowTV Entertainment: No

Oh well :frowning_face:

2 Likes

The Falcon and The Winter Soldier

Anyone else think the new Captain America looks like Tottenham and England’s Harry Kane?

:rofl:

2 Likes

Not being a football person, that wasn’t the resemblance I picked up on. But I did think he had a familiar looking face.

That’s when I realised he’s the son of Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn!

4 Likes

Subscription has ended now. I’m not doing to renew, just going to dust off Kodi :running_man:‍♂

1 Like

Happy to keep mine at the current rate of a fiver a month. (£59.99 renewal as existing subscriber)

Whether I will pay nearly £80 for it in April 2022 is to be seen.

I have the advantage though of not being subscribed to any digital services, such as Sky or Virgin, so still have £46 per month free (from when I subscribed to Sky) that I still put away in a savings account. Amazing how it builds up, and quite frightening at times, how much we spend on TV services and the like :scream: :man_shrugging:

I cannot get Freeview where I live, without upgrading my aerial, so only live television I experience is through the apps for BBC and ITV, at the moment.

2 Likes

The falcon and the winter soldier is starting to get really good

Captain America going full Homelander :scream:

3 Likes

Okay so this episode was my favourite. But it’s been a very low bar for me for the first three episodes sadly.

I love Karli tho.

1 Like

I love how it’s all tied in to the MCU. Very clever

1 Like

Good to hear it’s getting better. I only made it partway through episode 2, but I’ll give it another go.

Although I like the show, I have a few issues with it that really bother me.

I watched Agent’s of shield, and quite often the explanation for the missing avengers was simply that the threats and battles they were facing were not Avenger level and so they weren’t needed or wanted. And when threats were becoming Avenger level the show led up to an upcoming movie, and the movie plot wrapped up the story arc in the show.

The plot to falcon and the winter soldier doesn’t feel like an avenger level thing to me, which kills the vibe and detracts from any real risk to the characters. They try to build tension but it falls flat on me. The plot feels more appropriate for shield to deal with than the Avengers. I feel like I’m watching Arrow half the time.

I didn’t have those issues with WandaVision. The plot for that felt much more appropriate

Second, is the CGI, special effects, stunts and action. All of this feels meh. I get that it’s a tv show. But Game of Thrones happened and it raised the bar of what to expect from tv shows. With Marvel moving into live action TV, I imagined it was influenced by the success of Game of Thrones, and because it would now be possible, like Game of Thrones did, to match cinema quality CGI and special effects, or at least get much closer to it.

But the CGI is rubbish. The stunts are shoddy, and the fight scenes are poorly choreographed and executed. Our protagonists feel really underpowered and considerably less skilful and powerful than their movie counterparts. These are issues with WandaVision too, but to a lesser extent.

With Falcon and The Winter Soldier, I enjoy watching it, but there’s little substance there for me, that after 4 episode I’m not really invested in any of the characters nor the plot.

Finally got around to giving this a try. Just finished Episode 2. Very decent concept, though I’m a big fan of ASI plots when they’re technically accurate and theoretically sound, which this one seems to be. I Wonder who their advisors are, because it seems very well researched and their portrayal of an ASI is accurate with our best scientific theories.

There are many similarities here to the later seasons of Person of Interest which I dig. It’s conceptually superior to Ultron I feel, because it’s much closer to a potential future reality for us.

All in all, promising show and I’m enjoying it very much. Harold Finch’s The Machine remains my favourite TV ASI if only for the fact that it’s the only non-evil one!

1 Like