Direct Debits need improvement (traditional banks do it better!)

I contacted support and they said it was setup to go out on business working days only

Think there might be some training issues there as it’s certainly not the case. It’s just like a regular bank transfer, but just set up to go automatically.

2 Likes

I had a standing order that is due to go out on the 30th of every month, but did not come out until this morning!

Is it definitely set up for the 30th? It should have come out then.

Might want to contact support for that.

Yeah definitely set up for the 30th! Will do! :+1:t2:

A direct debit should never be earlier than expected - only later. Might want to question that company if so.

The wording should be changed and I agree a re-try should be done later in the day, but ultimately if you haven’t had a direct debit taken out then you need to not spend that money until it’s resolved.

Actually the nature of Monzo means you know instantly if a direct debit hasn’t gone out. If it was supposed to go out Saturday at 3:00am or so, then when you wake up on Saturday you’d know straight away if it had gone or not. If it hadn’t, then don’t spend that amount while you work it out.

1 Like

100% this needs improving. I usually forget to put the money in later that day. Also, direct debits going out in the afternoon would help people who find the late night/early morning notifications for direct debits going through really annoying.

Is the simple solution not that you get a notification the day before of pending transactions and then you make sure you have enough funds in your account for the start of the next day.

1 Like

Not really, because traditional banks (And Starling, apparently) deduct Direct Debits at 3pm in the afternoon when people are awake and able to manage their finances.

It would seem like a better approach to do these things when people aren’t unconscious.

3 Likes

I personally think they should forget about all of this, and just develop DD’s from Pots.

Then it doesn’t matter what time it happens, and there’s no danger of you spending your money (like in this instance).

3 Likes

In my view, Monzo are not trying to copy legacy banks - they are trying to do things differently. By using the Summary tab, you can see your balance after bills (assuming your bills are similar each month), which means there is no need to use a Bills pot. Just keep everything in your main account.

Not all banks take later in the day. HSBC, FD, Yorkshire/Clydesdale and Santander certainly used to take at some point during the night. I understand why it is convenient for some to do it later in the day and you have time to move money etc. But surely there needs to be a bit of forward planning and making sure you have diffident funds in the account so it can go at anytime that day.

I’ve never banked with anyone who debits later in the day so perhaps I don’t know what im missing :thinking:. One thing I did rely on with FD was the pending transactions screen which showed all debits and credits next working day so I could plan the day before. I miss that :cry:

2 Likes

When it works fully, sure. For now, it doesn’t.

You may bank with someone who takes it early but they all would re-try later in the day. Monzo would not.

1 Like

+1 for notifications ahead of time if money is looking low, and a notification when it comes out my account would be nice. I never get a notification when ya left my account. Must not count as a payment or transaction, for which we get notified about.

2 Likes

I don’t think it works badly enough to warrant moving money into pots which might cause payments to fail.

On 09:18, 3rd Jul 2018, Jonathon wrote:

coffeemadman Jonathon Regular

July 3

When it works fully, sure. For now, it doesn’t.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

WillP79 Excited about Christmas Crowdfunding Investor

July 3

In my view, Monzo are not trying to copy legacy banks - they are trying to do things differently. By using the Summary tab, you can see your balance after bills (assuming your bills are similar each month), which means there is no need to use a Bills pot. Just keep everything in your main account.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Right now I have about £200 more “to spend” by summary than I know I actually do. Not useful. Moving into pots at least isolates completely that which you need to keep for bills.

Summary is not currently fit for purpose and if a person uses it completely to budget they will run out of funds.

1 Like

Hmmm. I haven’t run out, but then I don’t use the card for retail. Not sure what difference that would make?

I won’t run out either but that’s because I use a budget app separately

If I used Summary and trusted it, I would run out of money quite quickly without realising, and might then not be able to pay bills.

IMO something this important from a bank needs to be either 1. Extremely accurate and works well automatically or 2. Allows a lot more customisation (eg. add your own “outgoings” to committed so the summary is actually correct.

Agree. I wonder why it doesn’t work for you though - mine is accurate, apart from the bug where payments are no longer deducted the day before they go