Daily budgets / forecasting / exclusions

I think it’d be really helpful to see the available daily budget on the home screen of the app. Something that clearly tells me the most I should spend today to be able to stay within budget by the end of the month.

However, in addition to this it’d be useful to be able to exclude certain expenses from budgets, particularly when it comes to forecasting and notifications.

What I’ve found recently (since pretty much completely switching to Monzo as primary bank) is that once my mortgage and bills leave the account, any expense on any day triggers a notification telling me I’m going to overspend, presumably because my average spend per day starts off super high.

If I could exclude these expenses, maybe from my target budget, then I’d get a better view of what I should be spending on a daily basis.

5 Likes

Yeah I always thought the targets were pretty useless on their own. I’d forget about them constantly and ignored the traffic light notifications. The monthly values would change constantly to be useful.

An optional daily budget that adjusted daily to what you spend previously would be great. If you spent more yesterday the next days budget would reflect that. Obviously it would exclude committed spending.

3 Likes

This is already possible in Monzo Labs

2 Likes

Yeah, a daily budget indicator would be excellent.

Completely agree - this would be a brilliant addition. If you simply took your monthly budget and spread it over 30 days you could then have a tracker on whether you’re ahead or behind your goal. Underspending one day should increase your daily budget for the remainder of the period. Overspending should reduce the daily budget.

1 Like

Posted too early - having a daily tracker like this also allows an element of gamification - being frugal one day earns the reward of extra to spend later in the month - trying to combat the classic “drag” until pay day.

Can you explain how? Thanks!

By now the function has been included in the public version of the app. Just go to any transaction and flick the “Exclude from Summary” switch:

IMG_2747

Thanks! I can see this feature for individual transactions but it would be great to have for a full category. For example, I have 20 transactions so far in the Expenses category which I want to exclude from the summary. I also always want to exclude Expenses from the summary. An easier way than individually going into every expense transaction to click exclude would be great.