✅ Custom Category Creation

They just said that they understand and will revisit it at some point because it’s complex :slight_smile:

As mentioned though, below is the topic where this is being discussed and where you should vote for it if you feel it is important

There was some mention of custom categories in relation to the new navigation. I think in the open office but can’t be sure without re-watching.

I’ve merged the thread with the main one. Best to keep all the chatter in one place :slight_smile:

1 Like

And the votes. :smile:

1 Like

Sorry to bring up such an old thread but with this recently being seen on the business roadmap it would be nice if we could get an update on this?

@hugo I know you were looking at this a while back, what was the outcome of that, is it doable? whereabouts does it sit roughly on the monzo book of work if even still present at all

2 Likes

Yes, it is doable and I hope we’ll get it done after we get this project to a good state.

Custom categories will be a nice add-on to our budgeting so it’ll make total sense to tackle it right after we have the new navigation.

We’ll keep you updated :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Is this a commitment that it is next? If so, what else aren’t you working on?

Are you in a position to comment on that? Or are you hoping this is the case?

Not having a go, but transparency on roadmap seems lacking and left to comments like yours for us to extrapolate from.

2 Likes

I totally know what you mean and I can give some visibility about why that’s the case.

In general we don’t have a roadmap, the closest would be Making Monzo. Back in the day (really back in the day) when we only had one product team we would indeed work in a sequential way, feature after feature. Certainty was high and I could come to the forum often and say “this is what we’ll build next”. Good old days :wink:

We no longer work that way, we have multiple product teams working in parallel, all of them working super hard to optimise different parts of the Monzo experience. None of these teams work directly on custom categories or even budgeting, which makes tricky to prioritise this kind of work. It’s really not about transparency, we really tell you everything about the things we’re building!

In this case however (and that’s why I said I think we’ll probably build it), in the new navigation project there’s the opportunity to revisit part of the work we did for Summary so I can see fit to go and bring custom categories (at last!) to the product… but this might change as the team actually gets to that point. They might prioritise something else if they consider it would have a bigger positive impact than custom categories. Does that make sense?

10 Likes

Thanks for the update @hugo and greatly appreciated.

All sounds very promising, i think custom categories could potentially be my favourite feature if implemented and make budgeting/summary actually useful so look forward to it :pray:

3 Likes

Really looking forward to use this feature! It’s crucial for regular money management.

1 Like

Can a hashtag feature for income be possible so I can use it as a sub category style feature for different income

A post was merged into an existing topic: Removed Posts September

Hey, had my account a while, only just decided to get stuck in and budget to the max.
Glad there’s so much talk of custom categories.
I would like to be able to create categories like “Lunch”, so I can move & split transactions off into different ones.

Adding this feature would make money management SO much easier, and I would consider it to be almost necessary given the numerous different kinds of transactions one can make over the span of a day that just doesn’t fit in the available categories!

It would also be amazing if we could have custom images for the custom categories to make identifying them by sight easier.

4 Likes

Is this something you guys have started to look into? It would be so useful, the current categories are not quite the right fit for most things that I spend on which is disappointing considering the categorised spend is one of the main reasons I signed up to Monzo

3 Likes

My idea is kind of related to custom categories, I’m not entirely sure it fits here bit I was pointed here from twitter so will post it here anyway.

With Christmas coming up I think a really good feature would be a category (custom category?) that has a budget associated with it. The use case is I have two kids and I want to spend say £200 on each. Every time I buy a present I’d mark it as category “Kid A” or “Kid B” and the app would say “You’ve spent £82 on Kid A and have £118 left to spend on them” or something.

This would be agnostic of months or anything, maybe you’d set an end date on it (Christmas Eve or something) at which point the category would “expire”.

I just think it would be a really good way of keeping track of what you’re spending at Christmas which is probably the most expensive time of year.

However this would rely on splitting a single spending instance across multiple categories but I think the UX for this could be made easy. In the app just select the transaction and change category like you do now but allow multi select on the categories, then if you select more than one you get another screen with sliders to select the amount for each one, the bottom category with be the “main” category and changing the sliders on any categories above it with take away or add to that bottom one which doesn’t have a slider and is just “everything not selected in the other sub categories”.

If that makes sense?

2 Likes

How about 2 pots one for each kid each with £200 in it?

It’s not as detailed as what you’re looking for but it might help in the meantime?

3 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion. However £200 was just an example, it’s likely that we’ll be buying stuff over a few months and a few pay days so likely won’t have all the cash at the start.

I can relate with you there. I have a pot that has a set amount go into it all year round for different types of presents.
I’d be up a creek without it when it comes to those unexpected birthdays!

I have a Gym Payment that goes out and put it under the Personal Care Icon, ideally I’d like a Gym/Leisure Icon as I don’t really think Personal Care covers it?