Curve chat

From what I understand it’s only on 3 retailers that you choose from the list?

That’s right. 6 on metal

1 Like

Probably Curve’s fraud engine caught it. And they do respond pretty much instantly in my experience if you write about fraud.

Hi I’ve got a quick question. If I use my Monzo card to withdraw £200 abroad (fee free) then use curve with Monzo as the underlying card to withdraw lets say another £200 (fee free), will Monzo then charge me a cash fee for the £200 with Curve because it is a foreign cash withdrawal? I’m just not sure what the transaction would look like at Monzo’s end and if they would see i’m withdrawing cash over and above the Monzo fee free limit.

1 Like

My understanding is not as Monzo wouldn’t know the second transaction is an overseas cash withdrawal, as Curve does the exchange rate work.

Having said that though, I did read that the transaction type/code is/can be sent back to the underlying card issuer so they may still find out.

Interesting question though and I await the answer myself :+1:t2:

1 Like

They definitely could see it’s a cash withdrawal, the question is will they charge,

Best bet is asking in app chat.

It would be converted to GBP by the time it got to Monzo if you told Curve your Monzo card is in GBP, so they’d treat it as a standard transaction.

Im asking the question in app to double check just in case.

1 Like

It says it on their website.

For Curve Blue (free) customers, you can withdraw up to £200 per month with no currency conversion fees. For any withdrawal over £200 per month, you will be charged 2% of the amount of the transaction or £2 (whichever is higher).

If Curve did the conversation from * to GBP then even if Monzo used MCC from Curve, they won’t be able to tell if it is a * or GBP withdrawal.

Curve pass through the Merchant Category Code so I think they would see it as a foreign cash withdrawal.

But it wouldn’t be a foreign cash withdrawal to Monzo. It would be a standard GBP transaction.

1 Like

Please let us know if you give it a try. I think we all want a confirmation of this. :smile:

I have Starling also which I believe have no limits :slight_smile:

Curve pass on the MCC , the bank can definitely see what type of transaction it is.

While Curve does pass on the MCC, the transaction on Monzo does not appear to count as an ATM transaction (when home or abroad). Likely as they are not charged to Monzo in the same way (Curve is taking on the ATM fees).

I have just double checked this with a recent trip to Spain in which I took out money from ATMs via Curve and Monzo as well as Monzo directly.

The transactions which were through Curve show on Monzo as normal online transactions and they have not used the £200 free withdrawals.

6 Likes

You could always top up Revolut and use their ATM free allowance too

What is Curve and is it worth having ?

I already have Monzo for my main account and TransferWise and Revolut as backup and for travel to Spain etc with Euro accounts etc Do I really need another account ?

Curve basically puts all your cards into one card. Makes it a bit easier if you’ve got tons of credit cards and want to put them all in one card. It’s really up to you at the end of the day!

Ah ok, thanks, not sure about that I like to have the cards so I can physically choose which I’m going to use.

I also use Google Pay most of the time so isn’t it just like using that ?

1 Like

I’m the same and totally understand your POV!

Pretty much the same concept, yeah. Apart from Curve is a physical card and Google Pay are digital cards.

1 Like