Contactless payment limit or no limit?

In that instance you input a four digit number. Still not that inconvenient.

1 Like

Itā€™s a case of regulations not keeping pace with technology.

I agree with you that this kind of ā€œsmart decisioningā€ (as I believe itā€™s called) would be far superior to a blanket limit, but the blanket limit was implemented purely for ease at a time when few banks in the EU would have been able to do smart decisioning. Now we have ended up in a situation where, because SCA was drafted into fairy simple language as a law, and was unequivocal about the limit, it wouldnā€™t be in accordance with the law to ever exceed the Ā£100 - even if there were analytical logic behind it. Itā€™s annoying but the law will have to be updated before we see this.

Maybe itā€™s Friday and my brain has melted but thereā€™s to be a few conversations in the same thread.

Contactless limit per transaction is now Ā£45

SCA which was Ā£100 before asking for pin and banks were given permission to up to Ā£225. Monzo did this and then reverted due to an increase in fraud.

Google/Apple Pay no limit.

You canā€™t set the contactless limit higher, you canā€™t mess with the SCA limit either.

3 Likes

you canā€™t mess with the SCA limit either.

It seems NatWest and Amex do. I am almost never asked for my pin.

1 Like

Yes. Tesco supports apple & google pay up to Ā£250. :+1:t3:

I meant as a member of the public you have no say in what limits they set, like the OP canā€™t say well I want it to be Ā£x instead so the whole discuss is a bit moot.

On the Amex point yeah Iā€™ve never been asked for pin after tapping. However itā€™s rare I need to tap the card over Google pay. Only a few weird places like McDonald drive through.

Also as a credit card provider I canā€™t remember if they have the same rules applied, probably do. Iā€™ve tried to forget about SCA as it winds me up.

Everything seems to want a code for the slightest thing. Iā€™m logging into my apple account from my apple device it insists on asking a code. I make a Ā£100 payment for something from somewhere I frequent I get asked for a code. I log into my email I get asked for a code to check itā€™s ā€œstillā€ me. I try to login to download a credit card statement I get asked for a bloody code. It vexes me.

My Tesco only supports normal contactless up to the usual amount and Tesco pay app up to Ā£250 :frowning:

Are you sure? I know Tesco are accelerating the roll out since Corona.

Iā€™d check again if I were you. :v:t3:

This is bad thinking and would lead to unhappy customers. Instant nofications are no good if Iā€™m asleep, if Iā€™m unable to use my phone at work (eg, some industries make you lock your phone away when you start work and collect it when you leave), if Iā€™m at the cinema and Iā€™ve done the right thing to not disturb other viewers, if a hot date has gone well and Iā€™m otherwise preoccupied, if a hot date has gone badly and Iā€™ve compensated by drinking myself into a stupor, ifā€¦ well, any number of things.

Itā€™s true that instant nofications allow you to spot discrepencies much quicker than you would if you only had a monthly bank statement to rely on, but itā€™s wrong to suggest that instant notifcations mean you should be able to spot fraud instantly. Thereā€™s still plenty of scope for an account to be defrauded up to the limit before you notice.

1 Like

This is just one of many things that can stop fraudā€¦ I also said act quickly

1 Like

Permission is not quite the right word there I feel

Being told that the regulators would turn a blind eye to breaking the Ā£100 rule so long as they kept on top of fraud is a bit more it and sounds a bit more fraught

2 Likes

Well yeah the official statement was unlikely to take action. But I think both Monzo and Starling jointly applied for Ā£225 and the FCA said that would be fine.

Monzo wouldnā€™t dare do anything naughty. Itā€™s always well on the right side of any laws or rules.

We support the use of contactless payments and welcome the industryā€™s initiative to increase the contactless limit. To further facilitate this, we confirm that, in the current circumstances, we are very unlikely to take enforcement action if a firm does not apply strong customer authentication when the cumulative amount of transaction values has exceeded EUR 150 or five contactless transactions in a row. But this is only as long as the firm sufficiently mitigates the risk of unauthorised transactions and fraud, by having the necessary fraud monitoring tools and systems in place and taking swift action where appropriate

2 Likes

I was there about an hour ago and still normal contactless