Contactless not working on buses?

Quick update, using monzo contactless through Google pay app works on Stagecoach but not on Arriva.

Would you know the ticket machine manufacturer for each?

1 Like

Had this issue with 2 Monzo Apple Pay attempts (different people) in Brighton today. A friend with NatWest Apple Pay has to come in and save us, how embarrassing!

1 Like

No idea lol sorry. It’s weird as the monzo card (physical card) contactless works fine with both

As quoted earlier, this would be in breach of the law.

1 Like

I never said it wouldn’t.

It is hardly fair though to force contact transactions though when the terminal is contactless only. The law is outdated was my point. It is a should.

1 Like

Still not working on any first bus up here in Scotland. This is using a monzo card via Google Wallet. Physical card works fine though. Issue persists for at least 2 weeks now. Very frustrating

Hi @Rika is there any more news on the Apple Wallet issue?
This issue is particularly frustrating because I’m currently in the process of switching to Monzo as well as paying for Monzo Plus.

Some additional info: I added an N26 Mastercard Debit card to Apple Wallet and transactions are being authorised without any issue. (Not sure if this is helpful at all)

Not working for me either. I have recently switched to Monzo on Apple Pay as trying to organise my budget. Monzo is not working on buses and hardly ever on TFL. Just a few moments ago tried paying with Monzo Apple Pay on the bus, it got declined twice. Only after I switched Apple Pay to my Lloyd’s card was I able to pay, it worked without issues. So the problem is definitely caused by Monzo.
Wish it could be resolved, as getting to know your budget doesn’t work out without commute expenses.

Anyone tried using Monzo Apple Pay on Edinburgh buses recently?
Will be there this weekend, so would be interested to know if it’s working.

I used Apple Pay (Monzo) on a Lothian bus in Edinburgh at the weekend and it worked :blush:

The way Transport for Edinburgh do the 10p authorisation and then a separate transaction a couple of days later (Tuesday in my case) for the final amount is a bit annoying. Not sure why TfE have chosen that method instead of updating the original authorisation!

1 Like

Any update on this? Monzo Google pay still doesn’t work on arriva, first, go North West buses in Manchester… everything else in Google pay works fine. And the physical card works fine. Cmon it’s been months!

We are continuing to look into this :slight_smile:

I’m afraid we don’t have updates to share right now, and it is a busy time of the year with many other projects. We also aren’t getting any messages through for these transactions which does complicate investigations rather :confused:

I personally know how annoying this is, so I hope we can work out a solution soon :pray:

1 Like

Do you know what the issue is technically? I’m intrigued as much as annoyed!

Are any other banks affected I wonder?

Worked for me on go north west in Manchester using monzo Gpay a few weeks ago

Maybe try and remove and re add your card to Google pay , so you get a new card number incase that has been blacklisted for some reason.

Also try a different phone for a day if that’s possible, maybe it’s the machines the bus use that don’t like your NFC chip

Tried all those things to no avail! But apparently it’s a known issue that hasn’t been resolved when speaking in chat.

I haven’t tried in a couple of months though so I’ll try again!

1 Like

Hi,

I am now experiencing the same issues as you guys. I use my Monzo card on buses regularly but up until this past weekend it stopped working, specifically on Stagecoach buses. It used to occasionally decline the card the first time but now it does not work at all. It just keeps getting rejected. However, the card does work on a different bus company (EYMS). My card works fine outside of bus transactions too.

Not sure why it’s doing this. When my Monzo doesn’t work on the bus, I usually end up using a different card and it works fine.

Would appreciate some input on this as it’s driving me nuts!

Thanks

No. We just know we don’t get an authorisation messages :confused:

For clarity, this issue is related to MDES only. If your physical card isn’t working that is an unrelated issue which we’d be happy to look into with you, via chat :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I assume MDES means Google pay / Apple pay etc.

Is there a common factor between these merchants besides Monzo?

There must be someone at one of the bus companies that is competent enough to help.

1 Like

Very similar issue: