Contactless Limit at £100

Yes, it would be nice to have it for all cards but then Power Reserve probably wouldn’t be enough to power Face ID or Touch ID.

I believe that CarKey supports the same thing too.

2 Likes

Battery is another reason I like to have a wallet with me.

I’ve not long replaced my 3 year old iPhone so it’s not such an issue, but if I’d had a long day out with my previous phone, the battery would be long dead by the time I got home.

3 Likes

No, it’s not and i’ve never tried it - I am not sure if it even works in the UK. I think it would work on TFL or maybe a bus (outside london) as that is Transport - but it may vary based on how the terminal is configured

1 Like

I believe it only works on transit terminals approved by Apple, which includes TfL. There is a list on their website but it’s basically anywhere with “Express Transit” support.

I have never tried it as my iPhone (iPhone X) is too old to support the feature.

1 Like

Apples website states

United Kingdom

• London: Transport for London (TfL) accepts payment cards in Wallet

So, I can’t use it for busses up in Leeds :frowning:

1 Like

Oh yes, I have found the page now.

So it is TfL only, for now.

2 Likes

Would be nice if First bus supported it.

I mean, I have a workaround as my travel after 9am is paid by my local council as i’m disabled

1 Like

Yes, it would be nice if all contactless transport supported it.

I’m sure it will, in time. It’s still a fairly new feature so we have to be patient!

3 Likes

Yeah - off-topic, but EE have had 4 years to do eSIM correctly, but still don’t

Still sent in the post costing:
2 days time in post
Cardboard
Printing
Envalope
Stamp
Time to open it

When:

It could be emailed to the end user

4 Likes

Yeah, it could even be invoked via an in-app button if they wanted to get really high-tech!

I’m going to get really off-topic if I carry on, but I’ll just say that mobile in general is an area which is particularly infuriating in this respect. Some networks still don’t even offer Visual Voicemail or Wifi Calling, and may of the ones that do don’t do it properly - not sending texts through the Wifi calling, etc, for example.

3 Likes

Asda can’t handle Apple Pay over £45 citing that that is there contactless limit.
Moving to £100 would cover most shopping for me there.

1 Like

Fully appreciate what your saying. My experience in the last 3 years is where retailers do limit it’s at the current £45 contactless limit.
When the limit was £30 same thing. Hence my own personal experience would mean somewhere like Asda would allow upto £100 for Apple Pay.
We can all use our own experiences that’s how our lives are shaped?

1 Like

Unless you’re Tesco. They kept it at the contactless limit to push their own Tesco pay thing. After backlash during the first lockdown, they removed the artificial limit.

But instead of removing the limit completely, they just matched the Tesco pay limit instead.

Retailers know exactly what they’re doing, and it’s no accident.

If upping the contactless limit forces increases on Apple Pay too, then great. But that shouldn’t be necessary.

4 Likes

If the banks are happy to cover the extra cost of fraud, why not? Again it’s not like customer’s money is (or was ever) at risk to begin with, despite all the fear-mongering.

However, given the prevalence of smartphones and the fact that every major bank (and even non-bank like Revolut) supports Apple or Google Pay, why is any work still being done on “old-school”, card-based unauthenticated contactless?

7 Likes

And nowhere in that link does Asda state that American Express does not work via Google Pay in their stores.

At least it never has for me :man_shrugging:

I still use my card contactless more than I use ApplePay and I couldn’t tell you why!

Force of habitat?

Because there are still a lot of people who aren’t comfortable with phone-based payments, for (misplaced) security reasons, and a significant minority who still don’t even have a capable phone/device.

2 Likes

Probably. I’ve rarely used it on my phone, especially since Face ID where it feels less smooth, and even more so since having a mask on, I don’t even attempt it.

I use it on my watch if I’m in a rush, self service or something, but if there’s time and I’m stood waiting, I think it’s probably just habit to get my card out of my wallet.

1 Like

Fair enough.

I personally think that using Face ID is actually more smooth as long as you aren’t wearing a mask, or that was my experience pre-Covid anyway. I always tended to “pre-authenticate” before actually paying, but I can see why it might be a faff to wait until the moment of payment and then have to mess about with it.

I do accept that Face ID isn’t very workable in the current environment, although using your watch is so easy I don’t know why you would favour a card over it!

4 Likes

Done know if this has been posted yet £100 contactless limit would be a fraud risk, says Starling | Money | The Times

1 Like