Carbon Footprint

Last night I came across Tred, a prepaid debit card that helps you understand the carbon footprint of your purchases. As an environmentalist, this is a great concept and got me thinking of its limitations and how Monzo could partner with them.

I assume it’s currently based on a CO2 per £ value for each retailer, which seems quite broad and inaccurate, but by partnering line item date from a flux receipt with a product by product database of CO2 footprint, you could get a really accurate CO2 figure available to customers to make informed decisions on where to spend to improve the health of our planet.

The database would take some time to build and it also relies on Flux rapidly increased their major retail partners, of which the rollout seems slow at the moment, but an interesting concept in the medium term and be great to see Monzo find a way to incorporate this in app. I know there are other priorities for commercial reasons but would be a brilliant addition at some point.

Not to shoot it down but I’m trying really hard but I can’t see how it can be even a little bit accurate without you manually specifing exactly what you purchased.

Even going by the merchant code category is going to be super vague.

Whilst Flux is a nice idea it’s only a handful of businesses. Only really going to be useful being a big spender at basically KFC, Schuh, or H&M.

Which is why I suggested it’s a medium to long term option, once a product database could be achieved.

As you say, not accurate at present at merchant level and flux isn’t widespread enough.

The stars could align to make it more viable which was my point.

Retailers don’t want to give this info away. Amazon have started hiding it in their emails.

I really want Flux to succeed but it’s decades away from being able to make this a reality.

And for those of us who have no desire to “understand“ our carbon footprint, but who want to improve it (reduce it) anyway; buy less stuff and go to fewer places. Or, for a really shorthand method; spend less.

2 Likes

Seeing H&M mentioned above, that takes you down another rabbit hole of ethical considerations --fast fashion, slave labour etc.

Spend less, but if you must buy, buy things that are built to last or can be repaired. That £5 t-shirt is £5 for a reason.

2 Likes

I had the same thought I’m not sure how ethically and socially responsible Genesco (Schuh) is or that anyone trying to reduce carbon footprint would ever buy from H&M, and then there’s KFC.

Unfortunately Flux never really took off.

Also, not quite sure why the original post has been flagged. It is a genuinely interesting idea, but it’s a really complex issue. I also don’t like the idea of offsetting --it just seems to allow the well-off to buy their way out of destroying the planet.

My theory is the random plug at the end to get people to sign up with his referral code.

This is against the community rules.

2 Likes

Ah, for some reason I missed that. Makes sense now.