Bó (Natwest/RBS challenger brand) chat

Bye bye Bó

Wow high levels of snark in here. Never understood the ‘Instagram is awful’ thing, I’m on it, I’m not an influencer and I think I follow one person who might be classed that way (I knew her BEFORE though so that just makes me cool).

So what if they spend their money on coffee and Apple laptops (would it be ok if it was a DELL?)…

Why do you all care about it at all? No skin aff yer nose as my wee granny would say!

Queue the ‘we were only joking’ and ‘just a bit of banter’ in 3… 2… 1…

7 Likes

I view the Instagram influencer culture as very toxic and unhealthy. Lots of young people will grow up thinking that’s the normal because that’s all they see and won’t focus on actually important things like their education. I know because my brother is in this situation

And at the same time, influencers also become very choosy-beggy and will approach lots of businesses thinking they’re entitled for a free meal/free stay in exchange for an Instagram post.

I for one would welcome the demise of all things Facebook

8 Likes

If your coffee or muffin looks that awesome, crack on (but be aware, most food photos aren’t all that - looking at you, Costa Coffee photo above).

If you’ve been paid a small fee promote a financial product that you don’t really understand or care about and isn’t terribly good (+/- you hide the fact that you’re being paid to promote the product), then what has your life become?

1 Like

Speaking only for little old me, it’s not so much that I care per se, it’s more that I find it somewhat odd that giving the appearance of being insufferably smug is now a good thing.

3 Likes

‘Sellout’ advertising has always been slightly cringe even when genuinely talented sports or movie stars do things like this, so to see nobodies posing like posers pondering;

“If I get the perfect location, wearing the perfect clothes, with the perfect hair and get the bestestest photo edit with crushed black tones and blurry backgrounds to make my daily life look sooOoOoOOo interesting, so soo much more interesting than all the office workers life’s, then they will all get fomo for my fake lifestyle and maybe also for the product in the picture, and all the people at my secondary school will now see me livin’ my best life and there is nothing they can do about it now because the photo is uploaded to Instagram and I have earned my $30 Amazon gift voucher for making it look like I get paid £50K for brand advertising campaigns”.

#livinthefakelife #howtowasteyour20’s #3hourstosetupacoffeephoto #fakeittillyourealiseyoure30yearsoldandtakephotosofyourselftolookcool

Sorry. Rant over. Partially true rant though.

4 Likes

Sure I’ll ask, but they’re usually pretty busy running a successful business.

1 Like

I think it’s a bit far-fetched to call people shilling crap on social media “creatives”… In this case, should we consider spammers creatives as well? :joy:

1 Like

Exactly my point. Nothing creative about being given £50 to take a photo of your Bó debit card. They’re all identikit.

I had to laugh that there’s a union being organised. I thought the appeal was working for yourself and striving out on your own. It’s market forces driving down pay and conditions, because it’s so easy for anyone to set themselves up as a business doing this, there’s always going to be someone who’ll do it for less.

Jeez, there’s even a ‘thing’ to pretend to be sponsored by a brand just to appear cool. They’ll do it for nothing. (In turn that annoys brand owners because they usually do such a crap job it makes the brand look bad and they haven’t even asked for the exposure!)

2 Likes

I watched a documentary all about influencers and it’s crazy how much money they make for a single post or video.

On the flip side it also looked at all the young people taking out £10k + loans to fake a lavish lifestyle to attract business. As you can imagine success rate is very low and these kids are then burdened with debt from an early age.

3 Likes

grumble grumble Get a proper job. In my day they’d have worked 120 hours a week down t’ pit

7 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Just to be clear I’ve no issue with it but it does seem to be the latest craze. Along with professional gamers, like that guy who won millions playing fortnight 16+ hours a day. Fair play to them though :grin:

I think we’re way off topic now!

This topic was about Bó, now (sadly?) closed down.

Goodbye Bó: we never really had the chance to get to know you.

And, on that note, as Bó has been closed so shall this thread.

5 Likes