Bitcoins

I believe Monzo does have 3D-secure. When buying at merchants that support 3D-secure I always get redirected to a page owned by Arcot Systems, which after fingerprinting my browser redirects me back to the merchant.

The post that I’ve just linked to confirms that Monzo don’t support 3D Secure & here’s another one -

1 Like

But how do you explain that I get redirected to Arcot every time on a 3D-secure-compatible merchant? A card without 3D-secure would not have any redirects.

I don’t know the answer to that & obviously you don’t either.

So you can ask Monzo the question & I expect they’ll explain that it’s not what it looks like.

But either way, in the meantime, I don’t think it really makes sense to directly contradict something that the Monzo team have specifically confirmed.

2 Likes

Even aside from the shady reputation of bitcoin, the amount of electricity used in mining it is environmentally brutal.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/peterdetwiler/2016/07/21/mining-bitcoins-is-a-surprisingly-energy-intensive-endeavor/

Any enterprise that cares at all about its environmental reputation would do well to distance itself from bitcoin as far as possible, in my opinion.

Depends if the datacentres that have miners are running on solar and/or other green energy sources.

If only things were that simple. Typically bitcoin miners must run full pelt 24x7. Turning them off at night when the sun isn’t shining just isn’t an option.

I get that, but usually solar energy is used and also stored in batteries or fed back to the grid. So swings and roundabouts I guess.

lol is running Bitcoin the only use of power-hungry data servers? It’s not like anything else that happens in the internet doesn’t use any of these servers. I wonder where the notification comes from when I use my hot-coral card and where all that transaction information is held :thinking:

I always found it hilarious to read “Think about the environment before printing this email!”. Unnecessary printing does surely accelerate the deforestation of our wonderful world but even if we are not physically hacking at trees, emails do have a carbon footprint.

From your link:

The largest share of the miners are located in China, close to the border with Tibet where cheap hydropower is relatively abundant.

2 Likes

The amount of electricity used for bitcoin mining is well in excess of that used for regular Internet hosting. I run several web servers and a couple of ethereum mining rigs and the ethereum rigs use ten times the electricity of the web servers (about equivalent to permanently boiling a kettle each).

The point about China using some renewables is nonsense. If it wasn’t for Bitcoin mining that electricity could just be used for other stuff, instead of coal.

3 Likes

I wasn’t talking about “regular internet hosting” I was talking larger data center consumption. Your comparison is anecdotal information based on a very small sample which frankly misses my point.

With a carbon footprint rivalling the airline industry’s and only expected to get worse, my question reasonably stands. What makes my aunt’s cat picture browsing and liking spree on Facebook more worthy of this energy consumption than the sending of a few bitcoins by my neighbour to a friend?

[quote=“tommy5dollar, post:31, topic:2295”]
The point about China using some renewables is nonsense. If it wasn’t for Bitcoin mining that electricity could just be used for other stuff, instead of coal.
[/quote] I suppose it’s ok to burn coal so I can Instagram a photo of the skinny latte I just ordered through Starbucks’ app whilst waiting on an Uber and ignoring the hundreds of WhatsApps being sent by my jealous girlfriend. It’s unfair to criticise bitcoin if we are not holding all other data use to same scrutiny.

Large data centre consumption is way more efficient than “regular internet hosting”. Making a bitcoin transaction is, in terms of electricity, the equivalent of a 100-hour plus cat picture liking spree on Facebook!

I didn’t get into the morality, if I cared about it then I wouldn’t be running an ethereum mining rig… I’m just pointing out the facts. It’s precisely because I am holding all other data use to the same scrutiny that I’m pointing this out; cryptocurrency mining uses a ridiculous amount of electricity. It does this deliberately because it’s the whole concept of the proof-of-work algorithm and it’s why ethereum and others are shifting away from proof-of-work to proof-of-stake in the near-term future.

2 Likes

More confirmation from Twitter today that 3D Secure is the reason for the issue -

1 Like

I’ve not been a long time user of Monzo but so far, its proven to be a great money saver for me just simply by keeping track of my spending but here’s an idea that I would like to see implemented and that’s to allow Digital currency to be deposited into the Monzo card and use are normal currency, now before you close this post down, just hear me out and have a open mind.

Each day more and more people are investing into Bitcoin and other forms of digital assets and its actually cuasing concern amongst the other financial services, so much so that Goldan Sachs, JP Morgen, Visa and tech companies like Microsoft are looking into adopting the blockchain technology.

So wheres the idea for Monzo? Well as a investor into digital currencies, you get to hear various start ups on the grapevine which raise money in the form of ICO (initial coin offerings). Some of these companies are Card Services companies and direct compeition to Monzo. So who are they?

The recent Monaco card (Mona.co) raised $3 million in 3 days from their ICO and aims to bridge the gap between ‘Normal Currency’ and digital currency

TenX provides the same services in bringing the normal currencies to digital currencies together and vice versa (tenx.tech)

Monzo, has done a great job in providing a service from the direction of normal banking services, and i think it would be great if Monzo could incorporated Bitcoin/ Ethereum as a depositiable currency.

Anyway thats my idea, the ‘rival’ companies are there already. You can find the whitepaper on their respective homepage.

I really like Monzo and use it everyday and would want it to succeed, Let me know what you guys think of the idea and its feasbility.

4 Likes

Could Monaco shout scam any louder? Contribute ETH faster to get a low numbered black card? The most important thing about the CEO is how he exited his previous startups?

1 Like

Regardless, the idea is the same. Its a card that can interchangeably be used between crypto currencies and Fiat, which i feel that Monzo could build on top of their current platform.

OK sorry for misrepresenting your post. :raised_hands: I was replying to a previous comment saying that enterprises would do well to distance themselves from bitcoin if they cared about their environmental reputation and then your subsequent post saying that whatever energy is used to power bitcoin is irrelevant as this energy could be used for something else. I was under the understanding that what we were discussing here was purely the ethical/environmental impact angle.

I just want to declare that I don’t have an interest in Bitcoin, I don’t even use it. And while I may have unintentionally downplayed its power hunger, I still maintain my initial doubt. The balance between power use and usefulness is subjective. I’ll be willing to bet that I will never see anyone in a forum write something along the lines of: “Any enterprise that cares at all about its environmental reputation would do well to distance itself from Snapchat, since it is the most pointless app to grace humanity”.

Having said all that: I couldn’t care less – would probably welcome – if Bitcoin was replaced by much more efficient alternatives or Bitcoin itself changed to drastically reduce its power hunger. :thumbsup:

I can confirm I’ve been able to add the current account debit card to coinbase :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Turns out when you try buy it still fails on 3D

2 Likes

Yes, I noticed the same. So if the current account cards seem to have 3D secure, what’s missing then?
Does Monzo need to whitelist that merchant?