Bitcoin or Cryptocurrency

Also relevant for stock picks! When your local florist tells you to buy a company, it’s time to limit your exposure

2 Likes

i see, i understand now.

Me and @v18n had a chat about this, they’re very unclear about what you are actually purchasing, but on digging it looks like @WillP79 is right and it is only CFDs that you own, not physical crypto, despite what some of their marketing may suggest.

1 Like

I was hoping to prove you wrong, but I can’t. You’re right in their marketing being confusing, I swear Annie posted a message about you owning the backing instances of the cryptos you trade, but they don’t seem to make that clear anywhere outside the platform (or inside).

1 Like

Interestingly I fell for the marketing. I thought I was buying actual coins, and then later realised it was just CFDs. I have now realised that I don’t care. The profits are the same, and if things go south, I can escape in one click

If you are happy with CFDs why not use spread betting instead? The profits are tax free.

I went to last week, and then realised I wanted to understand it a bit better, given that the losses can outweigh your stake

Also you only pay tax on CFDs if you exceed the £11,300 profit limit anyway, so not a big deal for most people.

Looks like I’ll be hitting it in the next couple of days if this carries on. Nice problem to have :money_mouth_face:

Yeah. :sweat_smile: I spent probably half an hour trying to figure out if they do actual cryptos or CFD trading.

And I’m on a team that builds a(n actual, i.e. real stocks providing, non-CFD) stockbroker, so I imagine it’s harder for the “layman” to figure it out.

For anyone wondering, they do CFDs only as far as I can tell.

1 Like

So, they had to deceive you to think you were buying cryptos to get you on board. Not cool, and I’d question the ethics of the company.

We see the same with CFD companies advertising themselves as “stock trading”. A lot of people fall for that.

I hodl Ether to learn and be part of the movement, so CFDs are very far from what I want.

1 Like

Totally agree with what you’re saying, but there are a lot of people like myself who:
a) don’t want the hassle of maintaining, securing, creating a digital wallet somewhere
b) buying crypto currencies to eventually use them somewhere for something

CFDs are perfect for me because I can simply treat them like stocks. Buy em low, sell em high - done.

Both types of product have their uses, and their customers.

2 Likes

If only every bit of misleading marketing led to such huge profits :wink:

1 Like

That’s a very good point! :joy_cat:

Easiest way by far:

UK bank send Pounds to Revolut, either via bank transfer or just debit card
In Revolut, create Euro account
Switch Pounds in Revolut to Euros
Send Euros to Coinbase in Revolut via SEPA transfer

Done this about a dozen times and is very quick, normally only takes a few hours if done during the day. This also works for Bitstamp exchange. By the way, dont buy on Coinbase, instead go to GDax (owned by Coinbase) and buy there instead, that way you get around the 1.5% charge, just deposit the Euros from your linked Coinbase account.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

I agree with the ‘product / use fit’, I just disagree you can treat CFDs as stocks, even though I understand you mean from the perspective of “buy low, sell high”.

When you own a stocks, that’s a different proposition (and I’m not only talking about dividends).

CFD is like roulette. You own nothing. You bet that the price of Bitcoin or a stock will go up (black) or down (red). What you lose, the house (CFD firm) gains. So, CFD firms are incentivised to “help” you do just that. They are good at it, the FCA published data that 82% of CFD clients lose money, ~£2,200 / year on average (link).

You might know all of the above though, but in case somebody who wants the “real thing” reads this.

Except in roulette, if you choose black and it goes red you lose EVERYTHING. With CFDs you can usually reclaim a portion of your initial investment, so it’s a bit safer than gambling.

I have no stats whatsoever to back this up, but I think that a lot of those 82% lose because of leverage and lack of understanding. The first is regulated in share purchases (thankfully) but the latter is endemic of people in general who buy on ‘tips’ and poor research (and there are just as many brokers who are incentivised on stocks/funds etc)

I do prefer to own stocks than CFDs, but the fees make it less appealing for smaller trades, which is why I signed up for Freetrade and urge you to hurry up so I can move from eToro to your platfrom Victor :wink:

1 Like

I think so, too.

We’re on it! We’ll do our first test trades on the platform soon. :raised_hands:

I use coinfloor - allows you to buy without trading but obviously at a slightly higher price

The fact theat they are uk based allows you to use UK accounts and purchase it in pounds

Already bought, traded and withdrew BTC and BCH with no issues

The fees are minimal

1 Like

The absolute easiest (but not necessarily cheapest) way I found to get a good amount is Solidi. Not the prettiest UI but Quick sign up, and once you make the order you have 30 mins to BACS across so no 3D secure/SEPA needed.

Oh and they just so happened to send me a link, if you sign up and spend £100/200 you (and I) get £2.50/5.00 free.

https://www.solidi.co/register?referer=FBTTGW