Bill Splitting 1

Monzo was working on a similar feature (recent, rather than frequent)

https://community.monzo.com/t/send-money-improvements/5872/3?u=alexs

although it was removed from the design (before it ever went live) when the Contacts on Monzo feature was released.

https://community.monzo.com/t/i-want-to-know-who-i-send-cash-to-in-the-send-tab/6267/2?u=alexs

With you all the way. I don’t think it’s complex at all though. X amount spent minus however much you gained back from the person who gave you their share another way. It’s a simple x - y calculation and keeps your stats accurate

I love it, but is there any chance of eventually adding OCR? I think OCR is definitely a feature that is worthwhile if you’re offering receipts functionality (especially if you’re expensing a mixed receipt), but it means that you’d be able to split the line items.

It’s one of the most frustrating things when your friends insist that they “only had” a starter.

Plus if it’s another Monzo user, you could share the receipt with them and indicate the line items that they have paid for.

1 Like

Hi guys, I tried out the bill splitting feature for the first time this week and one feature came to mind.

I send the splitting link to 3 mates for the dinner bill.

Only one of three which was a Monzo user and only he ended up paying me back, presumably because it was just that much quicker and easier.

The other two didn’t get around to it, I don’t think anything sinister, you know how it is!

The next day I’d kind of forgotten about it and left out of pocket.

Made me think it would be useful to have an in app or push notification the day after sharing a link letting me know that the request for payment was still outstanding and giving me the opportunity to remind/nudge them if I wanted to.

What do you think?

4 Likes

As a small note, I don’t find the ‘split bill’ icon that Revolut use intuitive. Its big and purple but I think less engaging than if it was in line with the other icons and had a subtile saying what it does.

I’m not sure what the answer is, but I think there might be a more helpful title for the pay/request page in the app navigation bar than ‘Contacts’?

Maybe label it:

(As a chance to introduce/encourage the phrase)

Or:

Split bill
Pay/request

We’ll definitely build on bill splitting as this is the earliest version of it – and will find ways to make it easier for those not on :monzo: to pay. Notifications would be handy!

1 Like

I split the food bill regularly with my girlfriend who also has Monzo. What we like to see is when you have a £40 shop and receive £20 that it’ll also update the target/budget set for that month to reflect 20 instead of 40 used. At the moment this isn’t working…

1 Like

I often pay for things on my card and send my other half a monzo.me link. She often forgets and asks me what she still owes me. It would be really handy if there were a screen showing money you have requested and if it has been paid or not.

1 Like

Hey Andy, I’ve moved your post here as Zancler’s confirmed that this functionality is on it’s way, earlier in the thread :tada:

1 Like

With the rise of digital subscription services this would be useful. So if I want to subscribe to Netflix or Spotify premium. I can subscribe but when that transaction comes through Monzo I can choose to split it with other Monzo users (which they would have to accept) After that point every time spotify charges me say 14.99 it still takes the money from the subscriber, but then on the back end distributes the payment between however many Monzo users its split between. So we each pay exactly the same amount.

This could work with household bills maybe broadband as well. The idea would be nothing would change from the merchants point of view, Just after the money has been taken. I tried to look to see if this had been mentioned before and I couldn’t find it.

6 Likes

Great idea. Whereas previous posts have concentrated on one off bills this focuses on ongoing repeat transactions. I think that is a good idea.

Thanks! I’m glad! I think this has real potential!

1 Like

Here’s a novel idea for monzo:

An account, where the monzo card used by a group of users, automatically bill splits the transaction and takes the money from each group members card.

Having begun to bill split with my housemates for food etc, keeping track of who’s paid back and who isn’t is quickly becoming annoying.

2 Likes

I find Acasa (previously known as Splittable) useful for keeping track of housemates spending and amounts owed/owing.

Although it has evolved into more of a marketplace app for household bills, it is still useful for these features.

acasa - manage & split home bills, energy, rent by Locatable Ltd.

1 Like

An integration with Monzo would be great, or functionality within Monzo where you can keep a tally of who owes you what.

I love Monzo.me, but there are certain bills which I cover for up to 2/3 weeks as my payday falls closer to them, and I am dependent on keeping track of the running total until settled.

1 Like

Hey, not sure if this has already been asked? But when splitting a bill with a friend is it possible in the future for the cost taken of a spending target to be the split cost amount rather than the whole original amount? I.e. if you got a taxi for £10 and split the cost to £5 with a friend, at the minute it would take £10 out of your target for travel, but would it better if only £5 split amount was taken off the travel target?

Hi,

My friends and I use monzo.me to manage shared expenses, for example on days out. It’s easier if one of us picks up the bill and shares it after.

The problem we are having is that it’s hard to keep track of which debts have been paid. Could there be a way for monzo to keep track of money requests which are still outstanding? Perhaps the app could notify every few days until the debt is settled?

It would also prevent accidental duplicate payments, which has also happened in the past.

Additionally, if I owe the same person several amounts, it would be neat to be able to settle them all at once rather than having to settle multiple amounts, entering my pin repeatedly.

I understand this would be tricky if people don’t have monzo accounts, but if they do then I don’t see why they couldn’t be tracked by monzo.

Thoughts?

3 Likes

Agreed. Love the idea of selecting multiple transactions to split at once too. :+1:

2 Likes

Following on from this, something I’d really like which I requested before is as you’re selecting multiple transactions it could show a small running total. Useful for just summing stuff quickly without having to jump between your calculator app all the time. Also to then be able to categorise all of them in one fell swoop too :ok_hand:

2 Likes

I was just thinking the same, I would love to see both these features on Monzo.

Also it would be great if Monzo.me payments with android pay started working

1 Like