Bill Splitting 1

Damn, that look beautiful! :slight_smile: Is that a dark theme for the whole app too? :smiley: Or ‘just’ for the Spending page? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Now that you mention it…Even Search is Missing from android :stuck_out_tongue: Also One thing I thought should be there was personalized Account limits ( Monthly card limits etc.) Like in iOS?

1 Like

Bob, Jack, Jenny, Mike, and Nicola all Bailed… £100 Monzo top-up?

£150 actually, but this is the risk that will come with the current design of the upcoming bill splitting feature. One person pays the bill and others pay back that person with the payments logged against said bill.

Hopefully it will be and hopefully before the end of the month. I’m going out to dinner with a group of friends and hope to dazzle (convert ;)) them with this feature.

2 Likes

Don’t know if it has been mentioned, but Splitwise is the perfect example for efficient bill splitting amongst friends!

https://www.splitwise.com/

4 Likes

This is what I use at the moment, and it’s fantastic!

I love Splitwise as well! It would be great to have Splitwise integrated with Monzo. Examples could be:

• Exporting expenses manually to Splitwise
  • Being able to label certain expenses for them to be exported to Splitwise
  • Automatically export certain types of expenses (e.g. utility bills) to Splitwise
1 Like

looks like bill splitting will work with non-Monzo users :tada:

I was just searching the forums for just that, can’t wait to see a sneak peak for bill splitting :slight_smile:

Ahh, wrote this reply out yesterday but forgot to press send :grimacing:

We have got some initial designs that we’ve done some testing with, though they’re not in any build yet. For now we’re focusing on the current account but fingers crossed it’s something we can get in the app within a few months.

In terms of the UI, we really see it as an extension of how send and request works, though the main difference in cost sharing/bill splitting is that the payment will be attached to a transaction. Here’s a quick sneak peek:

This design is definitely liable to change and still has some way to go before it sees light, but hopefully everyone can now get a feel for what we may do :wink:

10 Likes

Looking good! :slight_smile: I hope there will be some way of tracking who has sent money and who needs nudging! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here’s how it works on Revolut

I really like the concept shown. I would also really like to be able to see a list of who has paid and any outstanding requests as @beningreenjam suggested.

Also to see the incoming payments nested under the original transaction. If the nest is expanded you would see the original bill transaction, and the incoming money from your friends below. If the nest is closed, you would only see your portion of the bill i.e. original bill minus the incoming payments.

1 Like

I can’t really tell from screens, but will there be any option to mark someone’s part of bill as paid externally (in cash/eggs/chickens)?
This could be useful when you split bill with non-monzo user too.

However, even on the surface, it will create massive problems around tracking balance and overall spent… Amount paid externally shouldn’t be added to the app, but then it means that someone has spare cash laying around effectively impacting budget. :confused:

1 Like

Amazing suggestions everyone! Thank you @terryharman, @SladdinCJ, @mj84, and @Avishai

I can confirm that tracking who’s paid you back, as well as nested transactions (though how we display them is still up in the air), are very much on our roadmap and an integral part of the feature.

@sladdincj to verify, if you create a request/bill split with someone who has Monzo, it won’t function through an external link, they will be notified and pay you back in app.

@avishai this one is slightly more contentious. Personally, I’m of the preference that that shouldn’t be handled by Monzo, and if you want to pay someone back with cash/food/whatever it may be, you have actively decided to manage it outside of the app, and while of course it would be amazing to see every single monetary/goods transaction in app, it’s just unrealistic.

BUT, this is just my personal opinion, and there’s nothing to say we won’t mark as paid as you suggested.

So again, thanks for the amazing feedback all and keep it coming! We’ve still got some way to go so your input definitely will help us direct the feature :smile:

1 Like

Yeah, but then it shows your total monthly spent on food (or average spent per meal/transaction) incorrectly. Maybe this should be treated like a ‘layer’. Monzo app shows real, hard cash and ignore payments in chickens. You can make annotation or virtual correction on bill and display corrected average spends someplace else.
By any means, this sounds like extremely complex thing and I wouldn’t expect it anytime soon. :smiley:

Once this feature’s :arrow_down: available, you could add a :chicken: to your transaction’s notes & then exclude transactions with that emoji from your search results (coming to Android :soon: according to the roadmap), to get to an accurate total spent / average spent for a group of transactions -

Like that post to get the feature sooner (maybe…probably not) :wink:

1 Like

One thing I like in that Revolut video compared to the monzo mockups is the ‘frequent’ contacts - I have a lot of contacts on my phone and probably 95% of my money send/request comes from 5% of them (so not so interested in ‘contacts on monzo’)

1 Like

So do I but all of those that have :monzo: cards appear at the top of the list with a Pay button instead of an Invite button.