Big Poll - the Monzo Community's 2021 Wish-list!

Read-only access for a specified email for Monzo Business - means I can let my accountant easily view my business account

2 Likes

There was actually all of my stuff at the top:

Virtual card payments from Pots
Credit card
Dark mode

1 Like

Thought so.

Nonetheless I’d expect this kind of functionality in a paid version of Monzo at the absolute least. The free version in an ideal sense.

1 Like

I would like a fully realised “rounding” function. Round up money out, round down money in, no exceptions. No mention of pence anywhere unless you click into the transaction itself. Works for BACS, CHAPS, Card payments, direct debits etc.

Then I would like money rounded to go into a hidden pot. Once it reaches £100, it’s either deposited into my account as a little surprise, or it’s transferred into a account of my choosing, like a savings pot, or an ISA, or Nutmeg etc.

I like the aesthetic of this more than anything, loosing the pence figure from transactions would do a lot to clean up the UI.

8 Likes

Horay that Garmin Pay made the list! I hope that the least will be worked on bottom up!

Interesting that Fitbit Pay didn’t make the quiz option. I do wonder if post Google acquisition, Fitbit Pay will become just Google Pay.

Sadly the list is just things users here want. No guarantee that even a single one will be worked on by :monzo:

1 Like

A day in and a bit in and we’re starting to see some interesting patterns emerge…

:1st_place_medal: Currently in first place - Monzo Credit Card (63%)

I had a fair idea from previous polls that a credit card from Monzo would be super popular. It topped previous wish-lists and has taken an early lead with quite a sizeable lead. Will it keep it though?

:2nd_place_medal: Currently in second place - Card payments from Bills Pots (53%)

I had this one (with credit card pots and credit card) as my bets for most popular. It’ll genuinely help folk, and help sort out Monzo’s budgeting conundrum, so it’s good to see this up there.

:3rd_place_medal: Currently in third place - Dark Mode ! 46%

I should have guessed this! Ever popular, and with some signs in the Android app, but will this make it to release in 2021?

The top-five are rounded out by…

:four: credit card pots - 45%
:five: transfer money directly between pots - 43%

On the Battle of the Pays! :watch:
There’s not much energy for the Pays this time. Fitbit Pay is out (because they’ve been acquired by Google). Garmin and Samsung Pay are both languishing at the bottom with 3% apiece.

Anything that’s surprising anyone? I think, given the noise we hear about Post Office deposits and cheque imagining, I’m surprised they’re not higher. But there’s a long way to go yet!

4 Likes

I feel like a credit card is something that Monzo don’t have the power to do how people want/expect it.

We’ve seen from the lending that Monzo aren’t particularly generous. “MBNA give me £15k limit, why is it £500 with Monzo?” would be everywhere.

Do they have the lending power to give you 0% for 18 months on balance transfers/purchases? Probably not, they need to make money now, not in the future.

The cashback/points that make people use AMEX, can they match it?

I have two credit cards. One that has a 0% balance on for whatever big thing I bought and didn’t want to pay outright for and then another that I keep for emergencies or paying for something I want a bit more protection on. Could Monzo replace either of those? Maybe the latter.

For me, (Clive), it’s the little things I’d like improving just to make day-to-day better. Pot to Pot transfers, round ups on bills, subscriptions from pots, things that currently cause a little bit too much friction for my liking.

4 Likes

On credit cards, I wonder if Monzo could think a bit more expansively about the problem?

I voted for it, and what I had in mind was a card that gave me instant notifications, that gave me better insights into my spending and which had a great app. So, if Monzo were to partner with (for example) MBNA, Barclays or Amex for a Monzo-branded card that worked natively in the Monzo app, then I’d be all over it. If Monzo could make it a platform, where a variety of cards are available from different providers, but with the same deep integration, then even better.

Personally, I think it’s a mistake for Monzo to replicate high-street banks’ vertically integrated model. Think platform - there’s value in this for Monzo and for credit companies, I think.

6 Likes

For me I just want a credit card that’s managed by monzo.

I like they way monzo opperates and it would be good to have my credit card live within the same app as my bank account. It doesn’t have to have market leading intrest rates or perks, the selling feature (for me) is that it’s provided by monzo, a brand I’ve grown to trust.

8 Likes

I voted for a number of things… PLUS I’d like a white Premium icon for the App (please)

2 Likes

To be fair, the question was

what would you like to see from Monzo in 2021

which is why I voted for it. I’d like Monzo to offer a credit card, in the same way I’d like Monzo to offer cheque imaging. I expect neither, and can live quite happily with neither.

3 Likes

I mean you’re a reasonable guy, but that’s not the case for everyone…

3 Likes

Given how conservative Monzo are with their overdrafts I doubt they will launch a credit card. If they did I would imagine it would be so hard to qualify for.

1 Like

:blush: Too kind.

It’s always an issue with polls, people not reading the question properly.

1 Like

Same here - I just want Credit Cards to get the same shake up that Challenger Banks did to current accounts.

I’m not neccesarily after market beating rates (because I pay my card off every month), or 0% Purchases (haven’t had anything ‘out of budget’ enough to warrant - and if I did I’d probably look to a new specific credit card with a good offer), or Points - because I don’t have the energy to play the game to track them.

All of that combined means that I’m probably a not very profitable credit card user though, from the perspective of a Lender.

7 Likes

Given the backgrounds of the CEO and COO, I’d be pretty surprised if Monzo didn’t release a credit card in the next year or two.

I don’t think it matters. I think there are more than enough Monzo customers who place more value in superior spending visibility/tracking than having perks like long term 0% or cashback.

5 Likes

I agree and I’m one of them. Having it all together would be a great improvement.

But the others tend to shout the loudest!

3 Likes

I originally wondered if Monzo US was going to pivot in a credit card type direction, or at least offer a companion credit card, given how prevalent they are over there and the new CEO’s background.

3 Likes

These are good points and it’ll be interesting to see which (if any) route Monzo take

Tom had always been anti credit cards because (I believe I’m right in saying) they don’t lend themselves to living within your budget. And I can see that. Neither these 0% on balance transfers nor 0% on purchases for 18 months seem like the road to sensible budgeting. I can see how some people might game these to make money out of savings interest, but that’s fairly niche (and hard to do with today’s interest rates) and a long way from simplifying finance for everyone.

So… what does a monzo credit card look like? One simple low rate? Fee free foreign spending? Neat integration into the app? (I struggle to conceptualise was neat integration actually looks like because people use their CCs in such different ways.) It might just be a case of imitating the Apple Card.

Personally, I’m not expecting a radical, innovative credit card. Simplicity is the goal for me.

But why? What problem are you looking to solve with this?