Barclays chat

From memory, I believe the regulator has set times that SMS’s can’t be sent (i.e. the middle of the night) to prevent customers being disturbed.

True, QA and MVP don’t have two be mutually exclusive. However, I have seen too many cases here where Monzo launch an MVP then need to fix something so that a feature operates as originally intended.

But it can be even more basic. During QA, one would expect Monzo to pick up if any of their web page links were broken and fix them before launching something.

However, its been over a week since Premium was launched but the Premium page on the Monzo website still has a link which goes to a 404 error…

2 Likes

You kind of missed the point. I’m not overdrawn… Because of the delay, all the scheduled payments have finished. I get a text usually around 12 noon (10 hours after they’ve processed) telling me I have 3 hours to pay in money to come out of my overdraft.

Their systems aren’t real-time.

3 Likes

Well you could imagine that the SMS got generated (but not sent, so placed in a queue) when you went overdrawn, it then sat patiently in the sending queue for when it was sent on.

So if the regulator has set the SMS times, in a sense it is real time as it generated the message as you went overdrawn, but the delivery of that notification isn’t.

I do agree it’s unhelpful having it after the balance has gone back into the black already. Its a bit of trade off of generating the message immiedately vs doing it later and potenitally not notifiying the customer of being overdrawn until much later in the day as you chew through the backlog of messages and staying within whatever limits your SMS provider has set.

Not saying this is exactly how it works as I don’t have any experiance building banking systems, but its how I could imagine it works.

4 Likes

An interesting article showing the impact of SMS messages of customer behaviour

1 Like

It’s very likely how legacy systems work, sure. That’s the comparison I’m drawing. Monzo can tell me the night before a direct debit, whether there’s enough in my account or pots to cover it. My legacy account incorrectly tells me the status of my account 10 hours later.

I’m sure they do change consumer behaviour. But I’d also be willing to bet on the fact that they nullify consumer behaviour when they are continuously sent incorrectly. I get one on the 1st of every month - at first I complained to Halifax on every occurance. Now, 9 months on, just ignore it. What happens they day I am actually overdrawn? I imagine my response to the text won’t be the correct one.

Then imagine the same scenario involving someone with anxiety. If you were expecting there to be £1,000+ in the account, but get a text saying you’re overdrawn, that’s unnecessarily stress inducing. There’s no defending their implementation of this.

5 Likes

Well they can assuming you only have money in monzo or only coming in via BACs, if you have money coming in via standard order from elsewhere, Monzo will be in the same place saying you’ll be over drawn when you know you won’t be.

That’s a fair point. I’ll give them an ounce of leaway here.

1 Like

2 Likes

7.2 of the My Money Manager T&Cs;

This is a fee free service, although we may charge a fee for this in the future. If we introduce a fee we will give you no less that 60 days’ notice by email or secure message in your Online Banking.

Gives them the option to monetise it later. The norm really.

Have subscribed to it, however, as it only house my household DDs, I cannot see what the Insight can offer for me personally :man_shrugging::smile:

Same boat for me. It’s very basic, and only available for full months - so there’s no data for October yet. It’s a work in progress, I suppose.

1 Like

I’ve just updated the Nationwide app on iOS and discovered they now show pending credit card transactions (previously it was only debit card transactions).

They aren’t instant, they get added overnight, but progress is being made.

3 Likes

They’re instant (or at least more instant than overnight), I can see my charges from earlier today.

3 Likes

I was in recently opening a product & I noticed it on the advisors screen, he said it’s getting rolled out early next year :laughing: along with push notifications on their app & other updates

Same, I’ve never had any problems with TSB and everytime I’ve spoken to CS, they’ve been amazing. No complaints from me :blush:

2 Likes

Mine was a purchase early in the day. It wasn’t there at midnight, but had appeared by 10am.

1 Like

Just a bit of Barclaycard feedback here. TL;DR being that the app security is a mess and their current call handling isn’t great.

Had my phone screen replaced via insurance last week, got my phone back on Saturday. Had wiped the phone so restored from backup, obviously had to log back in to my various banking apps.

Barclaycard wanted to reauthenticate me with all sorts of security (the system is already ridiculous IMO with multiple passwords and passcodes and memorable words).

Asked for some ID and a video of me saying some words.

After all of that, told me they didn’t have enough info on file and I’d have to go into a branch with multiple forms of ID and proof of address.

I have obviously been authenticated just fine in the past and can still log on via the web on any device with no trouble…so no idea why the app system is being difficult, or is different in any way.

To top it all off, their 24/7 customer service no longer exists for Barclaycard (appaz all their call centres were abroad and are closed due to pandemic) and so all calls go through to a debit card team rn who Skype message someone in the credit card team while you wait on hold…

1 Like

The Barclays app is pretty good and is the reason I have an account with them but their customer service is no better than any other legacy bank. Being told you need to visit a branch is such an outdated practice, I had to book an appointment to get a new bank card for an account. I could have closed the account and reopened a new one with a card but because it was an existing account I couldn’t get a card online nor could they do it over the phone. Barclays have a long way to go until they catch up with this century, let alone catching up with fintech banks

6 Likes

I’ve never had these ‘go to branch’ issues with any legacy bank, I can only assume they don’t have full info on file for some of you.
I’m fact the couple of times I’ve had to call Barclays this year I spoke to someone in the UK (I hate getting overseas call centres!) and when I opened a student account with them, I had a video call with someone in their team, worked like a treat.

They’re not super fintech like, but they are NOT a fintech. I think some people expect the world. They’re a massive legacy bank, but IMO they are also the closest tech wise to a fintech, almost a hybrid of the 2.

They could be better, but then so could Monzo.

2 Likes

HSBC rolling out another feature to manage and cancel direct debits + standing orders.

2 Likes

A lot of banks manage to do this without the Monzo theatrics. Santander have been doing it for ages; certainly from before Monzo started to offer it.

6 Likes

I don’t have the notification but my salary is certainly in! How exciting

2 Likes