Barclays chat

I noticed hidden in a sub menu that Lloyds do cheque imaging now. Not sure when that started.

I wish Monzo did it this way. Not even just for ease but it would stop all the support questions.

1 Like

Me too, but marketing :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Not sure I agree - I like being able to choose when I get my money and also like being able to use Get Paid Early then immediately sort everything/pay stuff.

2 Likes

Is there any time you don’t request early payment?.. You’re not really choosing when and it’s later than other banks anyway. (4PM over midnight)

Barclays have been doing it for many years, but only when payday is on a Monday. Saturday isn’t a working day and Barclays treat it as the following Monday. All transactions on Saturdays have the following Monday’s date on them. If your payday is on a Tuesday to Friday then you won’t get it early with Barclays.

NatWest used to do the same, but they stopped it about two years ago because it also applied to debit transactions and it confused and angered people when Monday’s payments were debited on a Saturday.

1 Like

I guess it could be a bit of a pain to get paid early for those who both get paid in the first few days of the month AND use a budgeting app like Emma, or Monzo’s Google Sheets integration to use for budgeting. Getting paid early could screw up the figures if you got paid twice in December and not at all in January, I suppose.

1 Like

It was ages ago. Mid 2018. The way things are going Monzo will end up being the only bank that doesn’t offer it.

1 Like

Every time, for me. Don’t see the point of it.

On a normal day, it arrives in my account at 01:00 the following morning, and if I took it early on a Friday, it would screw up my monthly budget.

My SOs and DDs come out the same dates still, so no benefit, personally.

It’s a gimmick imo

3 Likes

I don’t even think it’s a gimmick - more that they’ve made a gimmick out of a standard banking feature.

Every other bank has done it for years without even mentioning it.

For me it just equates to how a bank puts a hold on funds they know are going to be debited in advance of the funds actually being debited but the opposite way around. They know the money is going to go in so they just pay it in.

4 Likes

Noticed that Barclays have a new feature that enables you to link your loyalty cards with your Barclays debit card.
Meaning you don’t need to scan a loyalty card in a shop, it just detects you have one through your Barclays debit card and can see/manage points in your banking app.
Not many retailers yet, but that looks like a first even compared to Monzo etc

4 Likes

Where do you find that setting?

Where you can freeze your card, scroll down.

Seems to be done via

Only Iceland and Harvey Nicole’s at the moment.
1 Like

Both ends of the market sewn up then.

6 Likes

Find it quite an eye opener that HSBC haven’t had this functionality already? Have they really only added the option to cancel direct debits!!?

1 Like

Presumably in app is new, as I’ve always been able on the web going back years

2 Likes

HSBC have had the ability to cancel direct debits for a while. What they have done in their latest app update is merge their seperate standing order and direct debit sections in to a combined option.

3 Likes

This follows on from a trial, also using Bink, that Barclays were running with the same retailers via their Launchpad app about a year or two ago.

It’s good to see progress on the main app, and a proper launch of this feature for everyone though.

1 Like

For me, it’s more important that I can immediately sort money when I get it.

That way I don’t have to worry about, for example, accidentally overspending if I’m out at midnight (although, sadly that isn’t an issue at the moment).

A lot of banks seem to have initiatives around this.

Lloyds also do, and I think Metro were another?

1 Like

Looks like Revolut are now offering salary being paid early in the same way monzo does (does look like it is automated though rather than the monzo approach of the user choosing whether to advance it or not).

Clicking the notification revealed the screenshot attached, clearly being used as a way to drive people to switch their salary to revolut. I’m still not convinced on the financial protection given they aren’t FSCS protected, I also don’t understand what Revolut mean when they say your money is protected by tier 1 banks (what does that mean if Revolut became insolvent… its not the same as FSCS protection but they’re implying its very safe… but no detail).

Good to see other providers looking to up their offerings, good to drive competition which is good for the consumer but in Revoluts case I’m not convinced its right for me yet.

3 Likes