Barclays chat

Having gone from Barclays to HSBC I have to say I think the opposite. The Barclays app generally had so many more errors, missing features etc.

Out of genuine curiosity, what do you think the Barclays app does better?

2 Likes

I have to say Barclays app is great for opening accounts, switching to a different Barclaycard etc. Whereas with HSBC they boot you out the app and take you to the mobile website to continue which is a bug bear of mine.

1 Like

How often are you doing that though :thinking: Surely can’t be a very frequent issue to deal with.

2 Likes

Have to agree the Barclaycard app is pretty bad. It often has the skeleton loading UI for certain components on the home page, and I don’t like that it only lets you use biometric logins 5 times before you have to enter your code again. It’s like how contactless makes you enter your PIN every so often but don’t see why it’s necessary on a banking app on your phone, if someone can get access via biometrics without your permission you probably have bigger issues.

1 Like

In reply to @JIMMWX this actually sums up my feelings perfectly.

Everything has just been working smoothly.
I only got the account for avios but ended up opening rainy day and maxing that out as it’s paying 5.1% as opposed to Monzo 4.1.

I know you can get better elsewhere but I’m happy with that

2 Likes

I don’t like the fact that if you have an issue trying to open an account, you have to go to the branch and arrange an appointment, which is in a months time. You used to be able to wait your turn to speak to someone and while you still can, you can’t for account openings. It’s backwards

Barclays has been criticised for making the “ludicrous” decision to limit how much cash its customers can deposit in a year.

Ron Delnevo from the Payment Choice Alliance said the move was a “disgrace” and accused the bank of trying to force businesses to stop accepting cash.

From July, the change will mean Barclays customers can only deposit up to £20,000 per calendar year into their personal accounts.

The limit will reset every January.

It comes after Natwest made a similar decision last year, capping deposits to £3,000 a day, or £24,000 in any 12-month period.

“The decision by Barclays is ludicrous. This is plainly an anti-cash move,” Mr Delnevo told Sky News.

Barclays said the change was being made to help it identify “suspicious activity”.

Anti cash :joy:

Honestly, I do feel these comments pretty pathetic.

It’s not forcing cashless society, it’s moving with the times.

1 Like

I wouldn’t exactly say that though. Cash is still used a lot, and its usage increased recently.

We absolutely are moving with the times.

People find it more convenient to use digital wallets. Cash is removing itself naturally.

The above article is more around fraud and prevention, not a force to cashless. It doesn’t say people aren’t allowed to withdraw cash and spend it, so it’s moot.

Cash will become a thing of the past.

2 Likes

But at the moment, it is nowhere near a thing of the past.

That’s why I said

Not “it is a thing of the past”

The point I was trying to make was that it really doesn’t matter if it will become a thing of that past. At the moment, it isn’t anywhere near that level so I can understand why people are annoyed at banks putting limits in place in terms of cash.

People will be frustrated when they can’t commit fraud.

1 Like

But it’s not used enough for people to have to deposit £20k a year into personal accounts, has it?

If one’s using cash, why would they need to deposit it, particularly in such high amounts. This is to stop fraud and perfectly fine.

2 Likes

You might not use cash. Millions of other people do. It is still used for billions of transactions. It is therefore reasonable for people to get annoyed when they are not able to use cash as much, even if it is apparently due to fraud.

Just because people on this forum might not need to deposit that much, doesn’t mean no one will ever need to deposit that much, and it certainly doesn’t mean others are not able to be annoyed by such limits.

Nobody is being stopped from using cash, are they though? Depositing cash is the opposite of using it.

Exactly. Drugs, crime, muggings, all sorts will result in high volumes of cash being deposited into personal accounts.

The article mentions selling cars but if anyone is there selling cars for £20k cash I have a bridge to sell them.

Why would you sell a car for £20k cash but then immediately bank it? Just take a bank transfer.

1 Like

You’re typically arguing for the sake of arguing at this point.

If people want to use cash they are free to do so.

I see an average of probably 1 in 10 people use cash everywhere I go.

Shops, bars, haircuts, everywhere.

It’s a ridiculous comment to say the banks are forcing cashless because nobody really say you can’t withdraw or spend in cash.

Some places I’ve seen only take card, Zip World Wales for example. For them to take cash and then time, effort and costs put in to audit, and then actually take cash to a bank, and reconcile, instantly outweighs the cost of a the card transaction fees.

Cashless will come in many, many years - naturally though, not because the banks don’t want it.

1 Like

Nobody is being stopped from using cash, are they though? Depositing cash is the opposite of using it.

Seriously? It really isn’t difficult to think that if people use cash, they may want to deposit it from time to time.

There are plenty of reasons why people would want to legally deposit cash, but as that goes against this community’s mindset that cash is dead, none of you are willing to even consider the fact that people can be annoyed by these limits.