Are you ready for an electric car?

Oh definitely. I mean those lucky enough to have space and money will want to benefit from cheaper electricity and convenience.

However I see it like a conservatory. It’ll add value to the property having a charging point.

I don’t think having a charging point for every household is practical is kinda what I’m saying.

Just need faster charging to the similar time it takes to currently fill a petrol/diesel vehicle.

Get it to 5 mins, convert existing fuel stations. Get all the service stations upgraded to 350 kW and not the now old 50 kW chargers.

Of course it will also mean that the cars are capable of accepting such high charging rates.
Most on the road today probably couldn’t but in a few years time all new cars will.

Have you see the Hyundai IONIQ 5? Looks ace, doesn’t cost the earth. Looks like a good family car which looks nice and still has performance.

62 miles in 5 mins is a good start. Hopefully other manufacturers follow suit in 2022.

The IONIQ 5 delivers sporty acceleration: going from 0 to 62 mph in just 5.2 seconds in the all-wheel drive version. Top driving range of up to 298 miles.

IONIQ 5’s 800V battery system can add 62 miles of range in 5 minutes! It supports charging at up to 220 kW at a DC ultra-fast charging station – charging from 10 to 80% in less than 18 minutes.

1 Like

BMW i4 looks ace too but pushing monthly payments for me :pensive:

Only 200 kW support so 31 min 10-80%. 366miles range at 100%. Performance wise the i4 M50 has sub 4 second 0-62 but it’s going to be a 70k car with options. :sweat_smile:

The intelligent driving system created by the merging of the efficient drivetrain concept, lightweight construction, aerodynamic design and a powerful high-voltage battery, allows the BMW i4 eDrive40 to reach up to 366 miles

Charging the BMW i4 couldn’t be easier. The Connected Charging service helps you find the nearest charging station along your route, so you can charge your BMW i4 when you need to – and go from a 10 to 80% charge in just 31 minutes with up to 200 kW of charging power. Or you recharge up to 101 miles range in only 10 minutes (up to 86 miles in 10 minutes for i4 M50). At home, you have the convenience of using a Wallbox. With up to 11 kW, it brings the battery of the BMW i4 back to 100% charge in just 8.5 hours.

1 Like

Both those cars look nice, especially the BMW.

It’s nice to see more “normal” looking cars come to market. I find most EVs are full of plastic trim with funky looking space age wheels and filled in grills. It just looks like they’re trying too hard to look futuristic.

I also wonder what electric motorbikes are like. Last time I looked there was only really one and it was mega expensive :flushed:

In that case, you might like Long Way Up: Watch Long Way Up - Apple TV+ (UK)

They seemed to really enjoy riding them but keeping them charged through South America was not straightforward. The styling was fairly unremarkable.

It’s really great to read the varied perspectives - particularly about the future of charging. There are lots of perspectives being raised that I haven’t thought of before.

One thing I wonder about is what the government will do about the tax revenue from ICE transport. I understand that it is around 5% of total government revenue. With my EV I pay vehicle tax at zero rate and charge at home using electricity that cannot be distinguished (simply) from domestic usage that has VAT of 5%.

In my old diesel, I paid roughly 13 pence per mile for fuel, generating 7-8p per mile for the exchequer. In my EV, I pay roughly 1 pence per mile, generating something like 0.06p per mile. That reduces the government revenue by over a factor of 100.

I can’t see a tax on electricity being able to fill the void for many reasons, so they will need to find an alternative - probably something that ‘encourages’ folk to have a lower environmental impact. Maybe some kind of tax on meat… Not sure I’m into that…!

1 Like

Good show. Not being Ewan macgregor I doubt many of us have the clout/contacts/cash to get charging stations put in where we want along our normal commute :rofl:

Watch this video of 2016 featuring Eric Fairbairn, CEO PodPoint.

You will discover that technology is already available via Smart Meters, meters a lot smarter than many think, could be used to manage demand, pricing etc.

Smart Meters will eventually be in every home and it will be possible to vary the rate of VAT depending on the use the electricity is used for.

Keep in mind that the video was produced five years ago !

https://fb.watch/65v52Pvcv0/

1 Like

Interesting independent testing on the ionity charging. 20-80% in 15mins

Really liking the style of it.

£37k+ :thinking:

3 Likes

I had my eye on this one, but the pricing is too much unfortunately.

I will start this; these are all my opinions and may differ from others. Not saying you’re wrong, just sharing my views.

Charging does not need to be limited to inside your garage. We have 3 parking locations:
Driveway; Garage; Road outside garage.
As a result I can plug 3 EVs in. Currently only the driveway has a tethered 32A (6Kw) charger and the others 13A/Granny socket but with an overnight charge.

With regards to charging speeds, we lived with our Leaf for 9 months with only 13A charging available. The only habbit we adopted was to plug the car in when we got home, invariably it was at 80% or more by the next time we needed the car (and normally 100%).

I get the point for people who do not have driveway or other private parking; charging infrastructure on the street needs to be solved by councils for EV to be an option for many people.

I am really surprised that councils have not done anything about rolling out “on lamppost” chargers. Even if they were current limited this would be a breakthrough enabler for EVs for many people.

This is a significant problem. Agree with your points that councils are not taking this seriously or looking for real, long term viable solutions.

To me this feels like forcing EV tech to be able to maintain existing behaviour. For me people need to change their behaviour to adapt to the technology. We used to feed horses at home before riding them to the next time, we did not adapt them to eating really quickly 5 minutes down the road before riding to the destination.

I fundamentally disagree with this. One of the trials done by Honda in the US with their Hydrogen cars was to host a “washing machine size” unit which took in electricity and water, and facilitated filling the car at home. This is a similar model to home EV charging, and takes advantage of overnight low electricity grid load plus local Solar generation.

With what money? It’s very much a problem for the next X amount of years and not the current governments problem.

Electric vehicles will be in exactly the same situation we have now with FTTP broadband. In a city you can get by but leave the city and want to charge without thinking and your in trouble.

I’d love an EV as my next car but not at the moment a local Lidl opened nearby with 2 ev spaces and 80 normal spaces so hardly planning for the future and when I go to visit family which is a 350+ mile journey the town of 30-35K people has precisely 0 charging points for the public to use.

It’s a chicken and egg as until I see more points I wouldn’t own one but if you don’t own one the numbers don’t increase to make more points likely.

2 Likes

And across the entire Lidl estate !

True but I don’t have anywhere else to park. So I’d have to charge it in my garage or at least immediately outside it. Which would be fine if I was only person with a car but if all of us switched over with current charging speeds, it’d be a nightmare

Many will envy your situation.
Two charge points, one inside the garage and the other outside.
Unlikely in my view, because of the car’s SOC, but you would have the facility to charge two cars simultaneously.

1 Like

How much are car charging ports to buy and then have installed at home?

https://ohme-ev.com/home-installer-true?campaign=ig_benefits&gclid=CjwKCAjwwqaGBhBKEiwAMk-FtFDzueMKZNBzf1jXyBh57RlmlkD5IysQY5PAtn5Pv1yy_p_sVj1sLBoCVNQQAvD_BwE

Wow from £500! :open_mouth:

Plus you’ll then need a couple hundred more to have it installed I assume?

And then electricity as low as 5p/kWh

Wow indeed :blush:

For many the saving in BIK would be sufficient incentive never mind the other savings.