App, Security and Privacy (Fingerprint, Pin, or Password)

IMHO it would be good to have an alternative security option as well as the “not at all” approach. I realise that is regarded by some as security theatre but it is a layer of friction that can delay or prevent unwanted prying eyes, and consequently psychologically reassuring to a user.

5 Likes

I think that’s fair. I don’t think any final decisions have been made on that regard yet so I’ll feed back to the Android folks who are working on it.

2 Likes

All very nice and lovely but when are we going to get security for the app, either a pin or fingerprint?

2 Likes

I’ve moved your post here, where Simon’s shared the latest update -

But you don’t need a PIN for your phone!
You leave it at home in a draw covered in takeaway menus and old batteries and use your card instead of Android Pay :wink:

My favourite word… soon!

Like… very soon.

Like… very very very very soon.

Soon.

:grin:

3 Likes

Can we get a Monzo Time:rofl:

2 Likes

With ATM withdrawals on a 30 day period instead of a month, maybe Monzo could use their own calendar with “Monzo Months™”

2 Likes

If you’ve seen our March Update, you might have noticed that Adding fingerprint unlock to Android is on the cards for this month. So stay tuned… :point_up_2:

2 Likes

Hi, I have just discovered why I need a pin. My nexus 6p battery needs to be changed. The repairers need my phone password to run diagnostics, because the phone is properly dismantled. I use ProtonMail for my emails and that has a pin, so they can’t read those. But they will get access to my Monzo account, unless I uninstall it, and remove it from my list of apps that Google play remembers. Cheers, Steve

1 Like

If you contact Monzo support at help@monzo.com, or by phoning them, they can log your phone out from their end so you don’t have to worry about this, or uninstall the app. List of phone numbers is at the bottom of this page:

I wouldn’t trust it; you know the repairman can leave persistent malware behind if you let them access. :wink:

1 Like

Never give the phone repairer your phone password! He/she has no business digging around your phone. If they want to run diagnostics insist on standing right next to them, and looking over their shoulder.

Would you leave the plumber alone in your house, with the keys to the safe, while you go out shopping?

edit: different company, same problem

1 Like

OK thanks, will do.
Cheers
Steve

Hi, yes. Thanks! Maybe I should factory reset it anyway.
Cheers
Steve

2 Likes

Yep, reset it before giving it to them, and then after.

1 Like

The below posts were moved here from this topic, which bought us the news that -

Well it’s an option you need to turn on, so I assume those users without fingerprints set up don’t (can’t?) turn the option on and just carry on being let straight in to the app.

Well, there’s the option in the corner to log out, and then I assume you can log back in with email. So not as convenient as a PIN if you’re e.g. in the middle of cooking and have greasy/doughy hands, but not exactly a lock-out.

1 Like

I agree that a back up would be good to have at some point, here’s why there won’t be a PIN yet -

2 Likes

I do appreciate it might not be on there immediate timeline. But if Monzo want to roll out fingerprint then they need to bump the urgency of backup log in or pin access asap.

It can’t be too hard, Tesco Pay and Capital One have this option (many more but there are two I use) where a pin can be entered IF unable to enter fingerprint for what ever reason.

2 Likes