App, Security and Privacy (Fingerprint, Pin, or Password)

I’m hoping that with Current Accounts having been launched now, development effort will revert full time to new features/cross pollenisation between OSs again. There will never be absolute parity at all times though since both will be on slightly different dev and release cycles - one will always get a feature ‘first’.

From what I’ve read here,TouchID on iOS only happened because of a similar user outcry so there’s no reason to believe the same won’t be true of Android. I’m afraid I do roll my eyes at all of the “we’re the poor relation” nonsense from users of either OS. Much as we don’t care to accept it, development takes time and user priority cannot always be Monzo priority. That’s just real life.

Monzo kicked off iOS first so it was “ahead” for a period. Now they reportedly have the larger dev team for Android so I expect it to be “ahead” (in terms of pace) at least for the moment. This also is real life.

2 Likes

I believe users have every right to voice their concerns just as you have right to criticise them but there were few posts by the Monzo staff here on the community/Slack/Twitter that Andriod will have feature parity by now.
Personally, I don’t mind at the moment that they are focusing on more important stuff and of course development is not straightforward really difficult to stick to timetables as well but if someone complains about it we need to give them space to vent frustrations.
Sometimes something is not that important to us and seems very silly but for someone else that could make or break;
Below are just are reference to justify some frustrations from Android users -

1 Like

I understand the frustrations, it’s purely the rather melodramatic way that they’re sometimes expressed that I’m reacting to.

5 Likes

yep, the sky is falling in cos insert minor feature here that I really like isn’t available right now!

Breathe. Chill. All will be well in time.

It’s a symptom of open development and one of the reasons companies like apple don’t pre-publish features.

6 Likes

Implementing Face ID is a significantly minor tweak compared to building fingerprint on android.

Here’s my old timeline before the current account took over, noting most features were introduced at relatively the same time, compared to their beta (and we do have export now):
https://community.monzo.com/t/feels-like-the-ios-android-disparity-is-growing-not-shrinking/7052/44

Hey everyone :wave:

Just to let you know this isn’t something we’ve forgotten about. It’s 100% still on our radar. But we don’t have any updates to share just yet.

Fingerprint lock support is still under Medium Term in our company roadmap. We’ll let everyone know when we have more news to share :tada:

In the meantime, I’ve updated the title of this topic to include the different options for app security, just to make it easier to find for people searching the forum.

1 Like

Do you know how the fingerprint lock support is being implemented?

On a phone without a fingertip reader will it default to no lock or will it present an alternative such as a pin?

On a phone where there is fingertip hardware but the user has turned it off, perhaps due to inability to use it due to medical conditions, what fallback is there? No access, assess without any security, or access with alternatives such as pin?

1 Like

Almost always where I have seen in apps where fingerprint authentication is used there will be a pin alternative.

1 Like

Agreed, but looking for confirmation from Monzo as to if this will be the case with their Android app, as they do like to be different :wink:

1 Like

Because of Apple. If it weren’t for them I’m certain you’d have both (and probably before Android).

I completely agree and actually, I came here looking for a post like this to make me feel more sane, as I had seen people complaining in the app reviews and was worried I was the only one who really didn’t want a third pin entry point (on top of phone lock and pin to make any payments).

Having said that I don’t see the harm in having an option in settings that is turned off by default to have pin or fingerprint app locking. If people would prefer it and are happy to enter it every time and give up multitasking then that’s fine: giving that option (as long as it’s disabled by default) is helping some users and not affecting others. I know Monzo are working on this for Android anyway, but I just wanted to share my opinion to the internet, even though no-one cares :stuck_out_tongue:

9 Likes

I’m sure this had already been brought up, but one step security on the Monzo app doesn’t really provide the greatest confidence when it comes to opening up an account. This is something I discussed with a customer at my place of work when I noticed she too had a Monzo card and my friend whose just opened his account. Is anything being done about this? Like a pin to get into the app or finger print integration would be fantastic! (Still love Monzo, and thanks for all your hard work :heart:)

1 Like

Can’t speak for Android as I haven’t used the android app that much but with iOS you can enable Touch/Face ID to unlock the app. Plus anything that involves moving money out of your account uses either Touch/Face ID or your cards PIN.

1 Like

I’d also like to be able to turn off the ability to view your card balance by force touching the app icon on iOS

I assume you are talking about the Android app. I’m pretty sure that someone from Monzo mentioned recently that this is imminent.

2 Likes

Yes it is -

This is sort of an option already (it’s under your control anyway), before you switch the widget on, Monzo displays a message warning you about your privacy & you have to give your approval in order to activate it :point_down:

image|345x142.5

If you’ve activated it by mistake, deleting & reinstalling the app will disable it again.

Fingerprint login on Android is a priority right now so it shouldn’t be much longer :grinning:

3 Likes

In the event no fingerprint reader on their hardware, or it not enabled perhaps due to medical conditions, will the new iteration of the app fallback to an other lock option such as pin or password, or default to having no lock?

Good question. Will try and find out from our Android devs. I believe it would be the same as on iOS, where you simply have the option to either use TouchID or not at all. That said, Android is obviously different to iOS so I can’t say for sure. Watch this space!

3 Likes