Antivirus recommendations

Windows defender should be bottom of the pile, it’s better than it used to be but it’s still mediocre at best.

If people want to use it that’s their choice but don’t recommend it, or claim it’s all people need. Everyone’s needs are different and there any plenty of better free options out there. Just look at an AV website and shun anything that doesn’t get above 95% .

NOD32 used to be the go to antivirus for years, it was highly recommended on many security forums. Sadly ESET blew it and also had a re-brand and they’ve not quite recovered. Symantec did the same with Norton, it was a performance hog and they have spent years trying to turn that image around.

@AaronB1 what’s your thoughts on Avast?

I wrote a long reply but scrapped it. Security and information security is part of my job but that’s as much as I’m saying on that.

People can look up Av-test or av-comparatives and make their own minds up from the information available.

1 Like

Bitdefender Antivirus Plus. Best Overall Antivirus

Nothing on my Mac and built-in on Windows (when I rarely use Windows) - perfectly adequate.

1 Like

Since Windows defender launched, I’ve never used anything other. Maybe the odd malwarebytes scan and ccleaner to tidy everything up but that’s it.

1 Like

Yes, I should have said that I’ve no AV monitoring my Macs in real time. I do run a manual Malwarebytes scan every so often, though.

1 Like