An Update on Diversity and Inclusion at Monzo

What a peculiar statement.

10 Likes

Why would any young person look up to someone hired to fill a quota?

We are tarnishing an industry with ideology that will do damage. This damage will last generations.

People aren’t going to hire someone incompetent to fill a quota.

If you believe white male private doesn’t exist, I might as well stop now.

I understand what you are saying about hiring the best person - But if no one tried to make a social change in the last 100 years, every work force would be dominated by white men, and women would never get the chance to show their worth.

It starts from the ground up - Change is happening, and if Monzo can positively contribute to re-addressing the balance, and removing the barriers for gender/race - I’m happy with that.

14 Likes

You misinterpret what Monzo is doing.

It is not removing any barriers for women.

It is simply putting up barriers to men.

Two completely different things, with totally different consequences.

1 Like

You’re basing your whole argument on a false premise - that Monzo are hiring people to fill a quota.

12 Likes

At the risk of detracting from the positive point that has been raised by Monzo, I’ll not escalate this into a political debate.

But to say they are putting up barriers for men is quite simply ridiculous (Monzo is 62% made up of men).

It’s like saying “All lives matter” or “White lives matter” in response to the “Black lives matter” movement.

If you don’t get it, you don’t get it.

13 Likes

I can assure you that it is not done by genitalia. :slightly_smiling_face:

33 Likes

I think that sums this whole thing up. Some people just don’t get it - but it still must be challenged.

10 Likes

The previous blog post to this was one of the reasons why I applied to work for Monzo. It is unbelievably exciting to work for a company that cares so much about addressing their diversity and inclusion balance. I have never felt more welcome. I’m an immigrant, bisexual, and a woman of colour. And I belong here in Monzo.

It’s also radical that we publish these figures. And internally, we kept pushing to make sure the majority of people answered our ‘census survey’ - in order for us to have the most accurate figures possible. There is obviously still a long way to go, but I believe that everyone here is holding themselves accountable to keep improving. For now, that’s enough for me.

42 Likes

I detest recruitment practices such as women only short lists, the best person should be hired regardless but, and it’s a huge but, that’s not what’s happening here. It’s about reaching out to women and minorities who are normally excluded and making sure they are given every opportunity to get a place on a short list.
If jobs are only advertised somewhere that you have to be in the know to find or skills listed which are impossible if you have been previously been part time due to child care commitments then that is institutional exclusion. Monzo’s policy seems fine to all groups in my opinion

10 Likes

If the talent distribution among applicants were being properly considered, we may find that Monzo should actually be, say, 80% male.

A reasonable makeup of Monzo demographics should match the demographic makeup of the (real) applicant pool. Not the makeup of the UK population as a whole.

Implying everything’s fair on men because Monzo happened to hire more men - that is not a fair assertion to make.

I assume you mean the finance industry. That boat sailed some time ago.

9 Likes

If you genuinely believe Monzo should be made up of 80% men… I quite literally have no comment.

5 Likes

but in fairness thats not what Chris is saying as far as I understand he is saying if 80% of programmers are male that should be the “fair” proportion of Monzo - should those 80% provide 8 out of 10 of the best programmers available rather than the make up of the worldwide population being split 50-50 men / women - so women - or men should only make up 50% of Monzos programmers whatever their skill level ?

3 Likes

Thanks @anon95680666 - that is indeed what I meant.

What??

If you’re not in the know, that’s your fault, not the entire industry’s fault!

This post made my day :hot_coral_heart:

26 Likes

Good for her.

I’m a developer with the skills required to get the job done.

My genitalia, skin colour and the gender of people I sleep with do not fit Monzo’s preferred criteria.

I know that Monzo wouldn’t be a good fit for me.

1 Like

11 posts were split to a new topic: Removed Posts - D&I Thread

I’d prefer to celebrate people’s achievements. Not their skin colour or sexual preferences.

80% are male so they meet up at business events, word of mouth etc. Very hard for others to get into those groups to find the information since they are already excluded. It’s called the old boys network for a reason.
Happy for you that you have no idea how the hidden exclusions work, shows you haven’t been affected. That doesn’t mean it’s not true

8 Likes