An Update on Diversity and Inclusion at Monzo

But they’re not excluded.

If I couldn’t deal with a female-dominated environment I’d have a hard time being treated in most NHS wards! But that would be my problem and I wouldn’t demand that the NHS hired more male nurses.

:hot_coral_heart: Thank you @james!

4 Likes

An underrated and oft-forgotten “required skill” in tech is being effective in a team, and if an employee constantly espouses e.g. pro-wage-unfairness or non-equality-promoting views in the workplace and uses far/alt-right catchphrases in their communications, then they would be potentially contributing to a hostile work environment, especially for employees from under-represented communities if they were to be working with people who didn’t believe they were as good at their job as others and/or were hired as part of some kind of creeping worldwide anti-male conspiracy. /s

4 Likes

No, you’re right, that is an example of exclusions the other way and that’s not right either. Needs a shift in society to correct but until organisations actively try and correct this it will never change

I’m glad you’ve exposed that line of thinking.

You’ve basically admitted that the aim here isn’t for diversity and inclusiveness.

Because if you wanted genuine diversity and genuine inclusively, you’d include people with different worldviews, different politics and different lived experiences

The fact that you say I’m unwelcome because my opinions don’t match the dominant opinions in your team underlines the massive problem caused by this form of social engineering.

Hello! Fantastic question! This is our policy as laid out in our benefits page.

Primary caregiver leave: you are entitled to 52 weeks of leave. The first 13 weeks of this are paid at your normal salary, the next 13 weeks at 50% pay, and the third 13 weeks is paid at the current Statutory Maternity Pay rate. The final 13 weeks are unpaid.

Secondary caregiver leave: you are entitled to 6 weeks of leave at full pay.

Shared caregiver leave: this is equivalent to primary caregiver pay. E.g. if your partner takes the first 13 weeks of Shared Parental Leave, you can take the following 39 weeks, with weeks 14-26 paid at 50%, weeks 27-39 paid at the current Statutory Maternity Pay rate, and weeks 40-52 unpaid.

I hope this answers your question. Children are important and supporting our employees while they embark on this new adventure is important to us :+1:

11 Likes

Reminder - he doesn’t work for Monzo.

1 Like

That’s a brilliant policy, especially the shared caregiver leave

1 Like

Looking at the demographics on certain college or university courses highlight the imbalance way before it gets into the workplace. I studied on technical courses made up by 90% men so can I be surprised to see that same reflection in my job?

2 Likes

This is why Monzo’s demographic makeup ought to concern us all. No matter how we feel the industry should be - or how an ideal society would look.

For the record I wish technology was 50/50 male/female. I’d also have no objection to it being 90% female, if that represented the makeup of the pipeline.

1 Like

Hey all :wave:

We appreciate that this is a sensitive topic, and this conversation is currently a bit heated.

So here’s a quick reminder of our code of conduct. In particular,

We avoid:

• Ad hominem attacks (criticising a poster personally, not their post).
  • Responding to a post’s tone instead of its actual content.
  • Replying in a confrontational manner when we see a post we think needs attention (use the flag feature to report it instead).
  • Deliberately derailing threads, or other forms of trolling.

I’ve removed a few threads that were off-topic to the subject we’re discussing.

And please remember to only use flags for posts you think break the Community guidelines. Not just posts that you disagree with.

Thanks!

15 Likes

The numbers showed 16% of employees having their highest education level as A-Levels – I think looking into a broader range of experience outside of universities would be a great way to find minorities. For example, people who attend coding bootcamps are more likely to be of an ethnic minority and/or a woman. I think it’s shortsighted to artificially limit ourselves to university graduates.

11 Likes

A few points to consider:

Are Monzo targeting demographics? If so are they demographics for London or the UK (or even global)?
Are Monzo monitoring demographics within individual roles? If you think equality is important then surely you need diversity within teams, not just across the company (or technical/non-technical) as a whole.
Do Monzo view it as an issue if a minority become massively overrepresented in the company (vs demographics)?

1 Like

Oh no it is, but in order to achieve those things you have to then exclude people who are actively against inclusiveness, or otherwise the people you’ve included feel horrible because they have to work with people who resent them in some way or another for their presence.

Worldviews and lived experiences yes, and politics yes but not if they reach the point where they make other employees feel distrusted or less-than for just who they are.
Super lefties might be treehuggers that annoyingly want everyone to go vegan and go on yoga retreats or keep suggesting redistribution of wealth type policies that make some roll their eyes, I’d say this is merely annoying for people on the “opposite side”. Whereas the general views of super righties tend to make certain segments of society feel alienated, unwelcome and less-than.
Too many big lefties = danger of too many plant-based milks in the fridge.
Too many big righties = danger of hostile work environment.
I might be flippantly simplifying here but you get my point.

9 Likes

I get your point but I think you underestimate how the Left are creating a hostile working environment for anyone who dares utter a right-of-centre opinion, or anyone who dares question a diversity policy.

1 Like

lol nice comparison of hard left and hard right

"Too many big lefties = danger of too many plant-based milks in the fridge.
Too many big righties = danger of hostile work environment.

:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I think having diverse world views, politics and lived experiences are crucial to a successful workplace. We can’t exist in echo chambers and your values and ideas should be able to be challenged if they are firmly held. A good debate is a favourite past time!

However, if your world view or politics involves being intolerant of others then that is diversity we are happy not to have. Working in a kind, supportive environment is part of the reason I love working at Monzo. Work should be challenging in terms of goals and ambition, not in terms of existing as yourself. You should be able to be who you are at work without fear. There are plenty of companies that don’t care about that as much and if your values align with that then that’s where you should work. Not every work place is for every person, and that’s okay too.

32 Likes

But here’s the big conflation.

You imply that disagreeing with certain corporate policies is the same as being “intolerant” of certain people or groups of people.

It’s not!

I love and respect women and want to see more of them in tech. I don’t want to see them patronised by affirmative action. I don’t want to see prejudices against them created and reinforced.

That’s why I disagree with your diversity policy

1 Like

I don’t think anyone on this thread disagrees with the above, regardless of their politics.

1 Like

As a woman I can honestly say any man who uses the phrase “I love and respect women” does not move to the top of my Christmas card list…

It’s patronising

9 Likes