All Things Credit (Cards, Limits, Scores)

That’s great, probably the best CC out there then for the UK, definitely seems the most “modern”

1 Like

Only if it’s accepted. Still some stores that doesn’t :frowning:

2 Likes

any “big names” that weren’t accepted?

I’ve had Amex cards for over two decades. Non–acceptance hasn’t ever been a problem; you just use Visa or Mastercard.

3 Likes

Greggs and my barber

2 Likes

Greggs is a hit :sob:

2 Likes

Well it’s a problem that they don’t accept Amex. Agreed the vast majority do accept Amex and the ‘workaround’ is to use a non Amex in them places. But it’s still an issue… be it a minor issue

1 Like

If the “workaround” is something that virtually everyone will be able to achieve quite easily, is it a “problem”? Semantics. I’d say an Amex cardholder doesn’t have any “problem” shopping there.

Quite often there’s no indication that the card isn’t accepted until it declines, so I’d say it’s a problem; but it’s an incredibly minor one.

2 Likes

I’ve crashed a total of two POS systems which then required a complete restart by trying to pay with Amex. I had to just stand there for a few minutes, holding the queue up

3 Likes

I think at work someone using a Discover crashed the till system and I just messaged my manager a pic like “wtf”

Just coming back on here to offer an update!
I haven’t yet closed my Capital One credit card however Monzo Flex will let me increase my limit by quite a significant amount.
Think I’ll probably increase my Flex limit then close my CapitalOne account which I don’t use since having Flex and Amex together.

1 Like

First limit was Santander £1000 All in One CC and a £1000 Overdraft.

No comment on what has happened since, except that I finally got Flex.

1 Like

Found a nice balance with rewards cards.

BA Amex £12,000 limit
HSBC Rewards £5000 limit

I’m thinking about doing the Barclaycard BA card as I got my Amex bonus now.

1 Like

Which BA Amex? The free one or the paid one?

1 Like

Would love to see Chase release their Credit Card soon, wondering how it also may compare to their US counterparts. Obviously less rewards, but 1.5% Cashback is not impossible hopefully

We’ve been renovating the house over the last year and now we want to buy some furniture. Next do interest free, but some bits from other places, a local place has sofas we like (DFS don’t have the one we like in any showroom, online only :man_shrugging:) so I thought I’d buy it all, then move it to a 0% credit card.

Tesco are doing up to 30 months 0% atm and Credit Karma says that I’m 95% likely to be accepted. Bonza.

Applied. It asked me what credit limit I wanted, I said £5k. This will cover everything I need/want with some left over incase there’s something else to add or the price goes up by the time I get there, didn’t want to be right on the limit and I know you can’t balance transfer up to your full limit.

They’ve given me an £11k limit!

I’m older and more sensible now but there would have definitely been a point in my yoof that I had my planned £4k spend and then went and bought an iPad/iMac, more clothes etc.

I think it’s so irresponsible to give me more than double the limit I asked for. And there was me worried when I applied that I might not get the £5k I wanted!

5 Likes

Congrats on getting the card you needed with a more than helpful limit! Just out of curiosity, have you found credit limits to correlate to your income, or more so do you think a better credit history gives higher limits? ie assuming a good clean credit file (no missed payments, revolving credit managed well, etc…) if someone’s monthly income was £3000 per month would you expect a limit around £3000 or have you seen it spit out sometimes 1.5x-3x the income?

My income has probably doubled since I last applied for a card, so very hard to judge.

I don’t know what the max they’d give me would have been. I don’t think salary is related to what I can pay back each money because I certainly don’t earn £10k a month!

1 Like

I applied for an RBS credit card a few months ago and my existing overall limit was about 150% of my annual salary, and they still gave me £8,000 which was a lot more than I needed or expected from it (can’t remember if it asked for the limit I wanted but I never enter those anyway). When I opened 2 cards with NatWest last year they gave me £5,050 on both (one since closed), so was strange that RBS gave so much more considering it’s the same group.

Halifax and Lloyds however (again same group obviously) showed an estimated limit (which turned into the actual limit when I was accepted) which was directly proportional to the income I entered, something like 12% of annual income. I did a few pre-approval checks and if I changed the salary by a few grand either way the limit would go up and down by £100 each time directly in proportion.

So it will vary a lot by provider. Maybe Halifax used 12% of income for me but would use 10% for some and 20% for others based on other factors, who knows.

3 Likes