Add Expenses + Another Category to the Same Transaction

Hey guys,

• I love the category feature, especially considering it does it automatically :smiley:
  • Iā€™m not too bothered about having the ability to create custom categories, but I would love the ability to assign multiple categories to a single transaction.
  • The prime argument for this feature is so I can mark transactions as expenses (reimbursed by my company), without losing my beautiful monthly spending breakdown :confused:

P.S. Keep up the great work :ok_hand:t3:

1 Like

Hey nagra,

Thank you for not making this another post about custom categories! :sweat: :wink:

One of the ideas that have been suggested when looking for a solution to the custom categories problem, is creating sub-categories for transactions. However, I expect these would be more granular categories, while the main (parent) categories remain the same (& only one could be applied to each transaction, hereā€™s Hugoā€™s explanation for why multiple categories canā€™t be applied to a single transaction :arrow_down: ).

I think the reason why thereā€™s a dedicated Expenses category, is that you wouldnā€™t want spending on Eating Out, that will be reimbursed by your employer, to count against your Target for that category. Could you talk us through how this would be beneficial for you?

If youā€™re looking for a breakdown of your monthly spending on Expenses, I guess this would need a dedicated view & set of categories (so that it doesnā€™t impact your Targets or Monzoā€™s aggregation - see the post I quoted for more details) but that would potentially confuse some usersā€¦

Hey @alexs,

TLDR: I retract my original feature suggestion and understand why it would be difficult and confusing to implement :sweat_smile:

After reading Hugoā€™s explanation, it does make a lot of sense why it would be confusing, and I agree the product should be kept simple and clean to use.

The use for this is probably more of an edge case, for example for someone whom is self-employed. Their daily transactions and expenses could technically be coming out of the same account. However, if they marked all transactions as expenses, they would lose the ability to accurately see their spending breakdown i.e. what the expenses were spent on.

Ultimately, this feature would be redundant if or when Monzo launch ā€œMonzo for Businessā€. That way all transactions being under a business account would inherently be expenses, without needing to mark them explicitly. This would then allow us to add one of the other default categories to get the monthly breakdown.

Thanks
Kam

1 Like

What youā€™re suggesting there sounds good but Iā€™m afraid Iā€™ve got some bad news for youā€¦

Tom recommends using Tide instead (who are backed by Monzoā€™s investorā€™s Passion Capital).

2 Likes