Add descriptions / notes to pots

It’s a key-value storage of information hidden to users but can be used by developers to assign information to each pot. It’s been supported on transactions for ages (docs here).

It could be used by developers to give pots special characteristics. For instance, one of our features in this project is to make it so you can pay into a pot from a specific URL. Would be made easier if we could store metadata on the pot!

3 Likes

This is a really good idea and you have definitely got my vote

1 Like

So if really think there should be a update so you can create a description of a Pot, currently you can only name a pot and if you calling something such as Christmas presents it would be useful to create a description of what Christmas presents you need to get and how much it costs.

Hey

Simple suggestion I think - but it’d be really cool if you could add notes on to your pots about what you’re saving for if your pot name is more generic.

So for example if I’m setting money into a pot for my road bike called ‘Cycling Fund’, it’d be useful if I could add additional notes on that say I’m saving for a new helmet, a service for it and some new cycling shoes.

Or another one called ‘Car fund’ where I can add a note that says I need xxx amount for the service, xxx amount for the MOT and xxx amount for potential breakdowns - this would allow me to have everything all under one place and help me to remember the different things I need to have money set aside for.

I’m not sure how it could be done - maybe just a button that pops up alongside add, withdraw, history, edit?

Not sure if I’m just being too picky about not wanting loads of pots or remembering what I’m saving for if needs be… But I’d find it useful so maybe others would too?

2 Likes

I absolutely agree! I would love a notes feature on pots. It’s already been suggested here: Add descriptions/notes to pots I recommend you head over and add your vote, to keep all the votes in the same place.

Welcome to the community! :blush:

1 Like

This could definitely be added to the “Quick Win” category.

Would make pots that extra bit more useful

1 Like

Whilst I agree I think’s dangerous to think of this type of feature as quick to create - a lot of design work would be required to decide where to put the notes, how to access them, whether there should be any restrictions on what is allowed to be typed into them, etc.

1 Like

Where to put the notes & how to access them: Click on a Pot. Have a notes field/button on the pot summary page just under Pot Type. Maybe also have it on the edit/create pot screen.
Whether there should be any restrictions on what is allowed to be typed into them: Just treat them the same as transaction notes minus the ability to add tags. So basically reuse the same view & limits as transaction notes.

2 Likes

This is something I would really want!

I don’t suppose anyone has seen any updates on this? or know if they are working on it?

1 Like

The answer is no to both your questions I’m afraid :pensive:

I’d love to have a 50 character description field for pots. We have multiple pots and one for girls activities. Being about to add £9.50 for Kindle Unlimited and £15 for craft materials as a note would really help.

A workaround that I saw someone use is to make a pot image and add the description to that.

I prefer the idea of being able to make multiple goals within one pot / hierarchical pots to having a longer description.

Having a load of pots doesn’t really do it for me and as someone with ADHD having the info all in one place is the better option rather than trying to track the info in the app AND a spreadsheet. So opening the pot and then being able to set a budget list within the pot would be awesome. I imagine the backend would be more complicated to figure out database wise though…