A Quick Community Health Update 💡

Several reasons - We don’t have the time to justify on an individual basis why we reviewed a flag one way or another, and I don’t believe there needs to be that justification, because we trust our admins and moderators to make these calls.

Secondly, it would cloud opinion of some people and in some cases that might be unjustified. I saw a user recently with a very low score, who isn’t a notable name here, and in that example, I simply determined that they aren’t really sure of how the flagging system works, rather than it being malicious. If that was public data, we’d all write that person off as a bad actor, or as weaponising flags when that might not be the case.

And finally, the role of moderation here is up to the admins and moderators, and it’s difficult enough in many cases without there being an open debate on any individual person’s score.

10 Likes

I appreciate the response. I see what you mean.

2 Likes

That’s not something you would see, though. A comment is effectively “unflagged” if we choose to disagree with the flag. So it happens all the time.

3 Likes

“Mr Rawitch, what you are I would not eat.”

(Granted, this joke does require some familiarity with the Lubitsch film, To Be Or Not To Be (1942)…)

2 Likes

Never seen mine unflagged :rofl:

If you have had a specific post flagged and you disagree with the results of the flag then please DM me about it and I promise I’ll take a look when I have a chance. Often people just reply to the automated message and those are difficult to pick up (I believe @cookywook gets these but his inbox is likely flooded with them)

I’d just ask that you do this moving forward - I don’t know how many posts you might have had flagged in the past but as of right now I don’t have the time to go through historical ones.

1 Like

Perhaps an opportunity to refresh the Coral Crew? To have some new, level heads in there to help with the smooth running of this place. A fresh view.

2 Likes

It’s on our radar :slight_smile:

5 Likes

While I’m happy that you (we?) are doing this, can I ask that you reconsider the word ‘even’ in this segment? If Monzo wants to do things better, valid critics are by far the most important members of the community. In my very humble opinion.

6 Likes

I don’t disagree - the “even” was intended to draw attention to the fact that this is welcome behaviour, in case anyone questioned whether these actions were surreptitiously attempting to stifle criticism. It wasn’t intended to denigrate them as lesser than. I will edit to make that more clear.

5 Likes

I’m really pleased to see these steps being taken. It’s really frustrating to see random ‘bad actors’ trying to break things here. I tend to be a quiet follower on the forum and only pipeup now and again, so when I’m following a topic I get fed up quickly of reading rogue posts (but also the responses to them, diverting the topic etc).

Anyways, good that this is happening, and hopefully it makes the forum an overall more friendly place for constructive conversation and diverging opinions that happen in a more charitable and hospitable way.

10 Likes

Seconded. Many of us have had posts flagged, often for no apparent reason. It would be instructive if the flagging reason was available to the flagged poster.

"I disagree with this” is not a valid reason to flag a post.

2 Likes

Brilliant idea

3 Likes

I can’t recall ever flagging post except for private info in it.

But I am surprised as some of the posts that get flagged , and bear in mind it has to be flagged more than once for the post to get redacted automatically.

And it takes so so long for it to get reviewed, considering that monzo reserve the right to shut the bank account based behaviour on the community, showing how serious they take it, the forum does not seem staffed enough to deal with reviews and false flagging.

There doesn’t seem to be any fallback when community staff are busy on other projects so it’s good that there’s a plan for new staff.

1 Like

I would like to see a leader board of flaggers, to see the worst offenders

Out of interest how does a user know a post of theirs is flagged? Is there a notification for it?

… Or does that count as tipping off?

sorry I couldn’t help it.

10 Likes

You get an automated private message to let you know.

1 Like

Yes. You’ll get a notification. You’ll have an opportunity to edit your post to make it acceptable. On the odd occasion one of my posts has been flagged for no obvious valid reason, I use this opportunity to alter the punctuation.

5 Likes

If you mean a raw list of who is flagging the most posts, that’s not meaningful data in itself.

You’d also have to know how many of those flags were agreed with or disagreed with, etc.

But I’m afraid that’s not data we’ll be making public for the reasons stated above. It is something that we review ourselves regularly.

4 Likes

This is excellent news. More active management of this forum will help it flourish. There are times recently when it has become so unpleasant because of ‘bad actors’ that I end up not visiting for weeks because it’s such a chore. Thanks for putting this in place, Simon, and for the internal discussions you’ve presumably had arguing the need for more active management to combat those who want to ruin things.

5 Likes