A better way to budget is here 🎯

I think you’re right its the re-categorisation of my spend / transfers / savings / income that have stuffed it - I think for my use…an idea of how much I want to spend / month that I can monitor, its good for me as it tells me how much Im spending in that month against a figure that I can set for the month - the confusion …for me arises on the “savings” wording without further explanation and the almost encouragement to up my spend to " hit " my target

I’ve set mine/our Targets up to monitor disposable spending only (on a Joint account too :scream:)

• Categorise all bills (managed by a bills pot) as ‘Bills’, plus any subscriptions that can’t be funded by the Bills pot as ‘Bills’ and exclude the ‘Bills’ category
  • Exclude the ‘Transfers’ category, so that the transfer from the Bills pot to the main account when a Bills pot bill is paid isn’t counted, and also to stop ‘Transfers’ to external accounts like credit cards messing things up
  • Exclude ‘Income’ as that fuels the target anyway
  • Exclude ‘Savings’ as I haven’t lost anything that’s gone to Savings, and I haven’t spent it either.

The resulting target is a realistic look at what I have left for the month to spend AFTER all the bills & subscriptions have been accounted for. It works - the burn-down target graph has been very accurate so far.

7 Likes

I’ve just noticed there isn’t a merchants view toggle on Targets. Has that always been the case?

(Would be keen to have one).

I’d honestly be keen for the graphs to be swipable with the bottom section staying the same.

Now, I know that would mean you couldn’t swipe easily month to month but I do find it difficult to click between the three and see the same information at the Botton presented in three slightly different ways

1 Like

I think what I’m need now is an ‘include/exclude from Targets’ toggle on transactions. I’m going to have to exclude a category to prevent a transaction (I’d saved up for it using a pot) messing up this months Trends. Similarly, I think an ‘include’ toggle may also help for those categories that are excluded e.g.Bills. So if I make an extra bill payment, that comes out of discretionary spend, it will reflect in Targets.

3 Likes

Good idea. Workaround idea before then:

• Non-Plus/Premium (and Joint Accounts): Use an unused category (if available) for ‘transactions to exclude from Targets’ and then categorise the required transaction(s) with that category, and exclude that category from Targets

• Plus/Premium: Make a new ‘Excluded’ category and assign it to the required transaction(s), and exclude the ‘Excluded’ category from Targets

1 Like

What happens if you’ve run out of categories :flushed:

3 Likes

Good point. You’re stuffed if no categories left. Scratch my workaround idea and stick with your better idea of per-transaction-exclusion-choice!

2 Likes

I really need more categories.

Here’s a work around if you have Plus/Premium:

• Find a category you need but don’t use every day.
  • Tap “remove category” - that will archive the category and not change any of the previously labelled transactions
  • Create your new category

When you need to use the old category:

• Follow the steps above to archive another category
  • Find the category in a Trends and tap on Edit (top right)
  • Tap “Unarchive Category” at the bottom.

It’s super clunky, but if you have categories you want to keep but only use rarely it’s helpful.

3 Likes

Well I never, every day is a school day. Thanks for the tip, I never knew that :nerd_face:

1 Like

Cc: @Alexxxxx

2 Likes

Hi Jack. Any update on this bug? Thanks

1 Like

Starting to get used to this a little bit more, but I must admit that I do find myself going back to summary often as well.

For me it boils down to a few things:

1. Spending budgets for individual categories is an absolute must (I really can’t see why this wouldn’t transfer from summary, so really hoping it’s updated soon :crossed_fingers:)

2. As others have pointed out, it’s not great for accruals. Each month I set aside a certain amount of money into a “holiday” pot to ensure that I’m putting enough away each month to cover holidays in the year. It’s not clear how to account for this, because most months it means I’m wildly under budget, and then months with holidays I’m wildly over budget. I wouldn’t want to exclude this spending completely as I still want to be able to track it etc, but if anyone knows of a nice, neat way to solve this (or if anyone has any ideas of how this could be built in) I would greatly appreciate it!

3. I’m not sure that it’s completely clear exactly what the best purpose for each of the three graphs is. I can read a graph and get info from it, but overall it’s seeming to add a lot of complication. I’m not clear on what value each is actually providing over what we had before in summary, which to me was very clear and serves its purpose well.

This thread is titled “a better way to budget” but as of yet I’m not convinced (and in general I love monzo, so I really would like to be convinced!)

3 Likes

My only idea is that each month the £xx you put into a pot, instead of savings you mark it as holiday and then consider it spent. Then when you do spend in one big go, mark it as savings?

3 Likes