A better way to budget is here šŸŽÆ

Your math is right. Rounding errors probably means it could be a bit higher. Or a bit lower.

Ā£21.60 per day would be the answer if the budget was Ā£600. Trends would might round that to Ā£22. Although youā€™d think itā€™d always round down so it never looks like you have more than you would. But Ā£600 feels a more appropriately rounded figure than say Ā£620. Although if it is always rounding down then it equally could be Ā£625.

I should probably check my own and see, but phone is dead. TL;DR: your equation is right, but doesnā€™t take into account rounding errors. The actual value (depending how Monzo rounds) would be anywhere from about Ā£585 to Ā£635.

4 Likes

Available left of target = Ā£22 * 15 days = Ā£330
So Ā£330 represents 54% of original spend target
Original spend target = Ā£611.11

Thatā€™s the award for the most random monthly target right there :trophy:

4 Likes

And in todayā€™s entry in Trends team sparks joy, we have a lovely little update that shows you, when youā€™re scrubbing on the Targets line, exactly how much above/below budget you are.

Iā€™m so so happy folk are listening and have brought this to us. A small tweak but definitely brings important functionality and a lovely bit of Monzo Magic. :tm:

(Edit: I think Iā€™ve accidentally added a bit of a filter to that screenshot, looking at the contrast!)

12 Likes

I concur - that is a fantastic little tweak

2 Likes

This is android? iOS always had this but I agree itā€™s a nice feature.

Did you ever conduct your test, Jamie? If you did, how did it go and what were your conclusions?

1 Like

Yes. It lasted about two days Iā€™m afraid to say. Then I realised Iā€˜ve got this far with just a quick balance check every day or so, that checking a graph doesnā€™t do it for me. I never really compare one month to the last, and as long as I end the financial month in the black Iā€™m good. So I went back to Starling, whose app I prefer inordinately.

4 Likes

Yup, essentially the reason I moved away from Monzo. I didnā€™t see the need to pay for this feature (at the time it was a paid for option) and still donā€™t even when itā€™s there for free

1 Like

Does anyone have the issue whereby when tapping through the different options in trends I.e balance, spending and target it then jumps to December and doesnā€™t display any graph information? Tapping them again makes it go back to this month

Remaining thankful for the recent tweaks on Targets (which, incidentally, Iā€™m using much more than I ever thought I would, not being a ā€œbudgeterā€), hereā€™s a request for a small quality of life improvement.

Iā€™m slightly above target. This is that the Targets screen looks like when I open the screen:

Screenshot_20230222_105747_Monzo

This gives me the impression that Iā€™m Ā£103 over budget :scream:

But when I scrub and hold the graph to today, I get a much more informative view:

Screenshot_20230222_105745_Monzo

Request: any chance of having the tap/scrub version as default please?

9 Likes

Sadly because of the way I use categories my trends never makes any sense. I have always categorised my bills in to specific types ā€œhealthcareā€ ā€œhouse billsā€ ā€œtransportā€ etc as I like that granularity.

But then it means I canā€™t meaningfully exclude much. So itā€™s just a graph of my bills and shopping combined.

It would be more useful to be able to discount specific repeating transactions.

3 Likes

Like with the ā€˜Left to Spendā€™ feature, ā€˜Trendsā€™ will only become useful to me when they implement 4 weekly periods to coincide with my pay days (like a lot of public sector workers).

2 Likes

Genuine question - when I used trends I got paid on the same day each month and set it to this, which was early in the month and typically a four week period.

Is there a reason why this wouldnā€™t work?

Iā€™m trying to edit a target for a previous month, changing the target itself and the accounts included but the edits donā€™t seem to stick. They are only applying to the current month with the previous month remaining unchanged. Iā€™m selecting the past month and attempting to edit the target directly.

Does anyone know how this is supposed to work? I believe there were changes rolled out to have month specific target configurations.

1 Like

I think the change was so that you could change the current month, but other months would be unaffected. I donā€™t believe you can set it differently month to month.

@avb should be able to confirm

1 Like

This is right, our approach at the minute was driven by wanting to allow people to keep a fixed history of your target at the time and how you performed against it, so changing your target now doesnā€™t suddenly mean you massively missed / hit all your old targets that are now being judged differently

We donā€™t currently have a way for you to change your previous months targets unfortunately

3 Likes

Iā€™m the same. For example my Netflix/Prime/TV Licence are household bills but put as entertainment. I have to exclude entertainment for trends but that covers some spend I want in trends.

3 Likes

What would also be helpful is that the budget set starts from that point until the end of the month. Currently if I set a budget of Ā£500 on the 15th of a month it takes the target from the 1st. I donā€™t want that. I want it from the 15th otherwise sometimes itā€™ll say Iā€™m over target for daily spend when I clearly am not.

2 Likes

Sub-categories needed!

2 Likes

Hereā€™s another quick ask: :pray:

• At the end of the period, thereā€™s nowhere to show you in Ā£ terms how much you spent. We know the target, the percentage saved and the absolute amount saved, but somewhere Iā€™d like to see the total amount spent - it saves on the cognitive load of trying to work it out. (And no, I canā€™t use the Spending or Balance tabs as they work off of different criteria).
1 Like