92% of 18-35s have never heard of FinTech

A recent poll showed that 92% of 18-35s have never heard of FinTech!

Millennials haven’t got a clue about FinTech.

70% would happily buy financial services from Big Tech.

Is the FinTech sector failing to connect with its key constituency?

5 Likes

I (22) actually have no idea what FinTech is or what it does, I stumbled upon Monzo by complete accident which I’m glad about. I wouldn’t have even know it existed otherwise.

2 Likes

Yes. Expressions like FinTech, InsTech etc are not as widely known outside a core group of hardcore fans as they might assume :slight_smile: Glad you discovered it despite no high key (and costly) advertizing, however the increase in customer base purely on word of mouth has been impressive

1 Like

I’m also in 18-35s gap and I never heard of fintech or Monzo until I was researching good card options for travel. Monzo educated me a lot in 1,5 month - I now know most competitors and what they offer.

2 Likes

It would be a sign of failure if 92% of millennials knew what Fintech was and only 5% had taken out a fintech product. It’s early days so you wouldn’t expect everyone to know the difference. Probably most monzo users don’t know what it is… it’s an industry/investment buzzword which means very little to the average person

Yes, I’m not sure this report is an accurate indicator of how successful products or services with this label have performed with 18-35 year olds. It’s a word I’ve only really heard used by people who work in Fintech or those have an avid interest in the industry as a whole. It’s nothing more than a general indicator of what a business does, the specifics of their offering and value are the things which most customers will likely connect with first, the label is irrelevant.

4 Likes