5G arrives in the UK!

From my understanding they are launching with London in August, where it it will be limited to 5G home routers.
Throughout the rest of 2019 they will enable it for mobiles + launch in 24 other cities

Do you know if the networks have released any information about data caps? Presuming you work for a network

Vodafone challenging the other networks, good to see them offering ‘unlimited’ data plans.

3 Likes

If I read that right they are offering unlimited data but locked to speed. £23 for 2mpbs. So you pay to get 5G which operates at a speed less than uncapped on 4G.

£30 for uncapped

Three will introduce 5G on my rolling contract at no cost or cap.

Vodafone showing once again why they are an awful network.

5 Likes

Good spot, must admit I did only scan the article :smiley: I suppose you would still benefit from the lower latency and the fact it would be better managed, but still — seems a little strange.

I was a Vodafone customer for over 15 years but the quality of service (not coverage) just got worse and worse.

Three if you don’t mind that you sometimes have awful reception inside just works out far batter for me data wise and roaming.

1 Like

Has this been confirmed that Three will add 5G to rolling contracts at no cost? If so I’m looking forward to that. Hopefully we get visual voicemail for iPhone and Apple Watch E-Sim support at the same time.

Actually I don’t know that but if I remember rightly there was no price difference between 3G and 4G back in the day

No worries, hopefully it is the same then. :grinning:

1 Like

Vodafone customer service is beyond terrible. But throwing in 5G for free with free roaming in tens of countries is hard to say no to

2 Likes

I very nearly switched away from Three after 5 years of being a customer. Reception has been terrible recently, but if I remember right it was the same when they were getting things ready for 4G, so a few more weeks I’ll put up with for free 5G (not that I can use it straight away) in the hope it improves the network all round.

1 Like

Yeah, Three signal in London is appalling.

2 Likes

I generally find it ok, but just recently and despite my phone showing full reception I’m hard pressed to use WhatsApp in certain places and even make a call here and there

Yeah, that’s the worst part of Three in London, full signal (in theory) but no actual Internet

1 Like

I’ve never expected that myself but the speeds are nothing to write home about. Maybe 5G will change that.

I left Three this month due to their abysmal signal/data speeds (0.5Mbps on 4G in my office in central Bristol!) and moved to EE. Both signal and data speed much improved and no regrets at all, so far.

Experienced the same issues as described by others when in London and Three was also the only network at Glastonbury that was unusable for the whole weekend. It’s a shame as I had been a customer with them for 5+ years and I have always found them to be good value, but the last few months were too frustrating to continue as a customer.

I wonder if this will include the roaming where 5G is available overseas?

900MB/s - that’s faster than the read write speed of storage in every smartphone on the market! it would be epic if the coverage was as such that our phones could rely purely on cloud storage

I believe Three are putting 5G as standard on all existing plans - including their unlimited plans :smiley: