XBOX Series X

So, really not sure about the pricing for Backbone+, especially as I’m not totally clear on whether you can still use the app at all without a subscription or if it’s just the newer features announced that are locked behind it?

But very happy to have been given it free for ‘life’. Couple of train journeys this week and was great to plug it into my iPad for bigger screen gaming - had previously been thinking that I’d need to bring Backbone and an Xbox controller for that, so very cool tbh.

(Announcement post here: https://playbackbone.com.au/blog/announcing-backbone/)

In other news, my card has just been charged for my Halo Infinite Series X ahead of the 15 Nov release date, so I should be playing Forza Horizon 5 on that veryyyyyy soon :yum:

What’s everyone else playing right now?

1 Like

Forza Horizon 5 since Friday and to be fair not played anything else. Done all the boards and now doing all the roads. It’s a bit buggy with some disconnections but they’ll get fixed. It is graphically gorgeous

Oh, that’s quite nice! I tried playing xCloud games on my commute but the connection was a bit too poor so gave up on my dreams of a Backbone. I can’t see myself playing anywhere else.

Playing GTA IV just now (never finished it and I can now remember why) in anticipation of the Series X/S optimised, remastered Vice City coming this Thursday

The restroom toilet in your house won’t suffer the same poor connectivity. 5G shouldn’t be too bad either.

Don’t like the move to a subscription model. Not sure the perks are worth the cost, but I’d want the nicer app experience, but that sort of thing shouldn’t be a subscription! One thing that would have sealed the deal is if they took the idea of the Stadia Phone Link to the next level and built the same sort of functionality into Backbone. So I could play on my iPad using backbone whilst the controller is attached to my iPhone. Better that than needing a cable!

At this point, the controller is begging for Bluetooth.

I do want one of these and I do like what I’ve seen of their platform, it’s just not at a point yet where it feels mature enough to buy into.

Back4blood and Forza Horizon 4 were recently installed from my preadding them from gamepass. Haven’t played either yet. When I go on the Xbox it’s still usually for a quick Destiny or Fortnite session. Just don’t have enough time for my other games right now, but looking forward to playing both soon.

I’ve also got Jurassic World Evolution 2 pre ordered! Comes out this Friday I think, looking forward to that one and will definitely make the time to play it!

That’s fair! Have not been able to consistently play any Xbox on the move myself but I also don’t have a 5G phone yet so would be interested to hear people’s experiences of game streaming on 5G? (unless your bad experience is 5G already :grimacing:)

I’ve got quite a lot of games from Apple Arcade I’ve been playing through, and ports like KOTOR which I’d rather use a controller for which are giving me a lot of value alongside some Xbox remote play/xCloud.

I also remember giving up on that… feel like I hated the controls maybe? Have never been much of a GTA fan though tbh.

Yeah think I’m in total agreement here!

And this!

Very cool! I still have the first to play through gamepass or gold…

Started the story of Battlefront II recently and hoping to get through that throughout the rest of this week!

1 Like

It’s not so much the controls but the handling of vehicles. GTA has always had quite arcade-y handling but for IV, Rockstar decided that all cars (except taxis and police cars for some reason) must handle like massive land boats. And motorbikes have a bigger turning circle than a Boeing 737!

2 Likes

Sooo… I’ve posted before about this annoying issue I had with Flight Sim where the menus would have annoying colourful flickering lights. Almost like Christmas lights. Well, GTA The Trilogy is out and I can’t play it because of the same issue. In cutscenes and during gameplay I get these flickering lights. Never had this issue in any other game, but I also can’t find a lot of info online about what it could be…
Anyone has any idea?

I’d get in touch with Microsoft. Possibly GPU or HDMI port issue on the Xbox?
If you’re in warranty you’re all good :+1:

If it was, wouldn’t that affect every game? And not just very specific ones?

Possibly more GPU then. Could affect certain HDR outputs or shaders, or certain game engines.

Or I’m totally talking out my ass.

Either way couldn’t hurt to ask Microsoft? :blush:

I got through to some call centre in India and got hanged up on after 15 seconds. I hate Microsoft and this is a good example why

That’s why I always go for online chat, forms or emails :blush:

Have you tried a different HDMI 2.1 cable?

Thank you! After a few more tries I managed to get through to someone in America and they also suggested it could be a graphics card issue. Recommended exchanging in Game where I bought it and they said they’d send an email confirming it.

No email, so Game were reluctant to make the exchange but got the new console now, and no Christmas lights. No thanks to Microsoft support really. I never had a single good experience with them

It’s just odd how this glitch only affects a small number of games out of the many I played

Speaks volumes to my confidence in Microsoft that I originally thought it was just Flight Simulator being a pile of :poop: instead of getting the console replaced after it first happened

2 Likes

Glad you got it sorted! :+1:

1 Like

Happy Halo day :exclamation:

5 Likes

How exciting! Just in time for the infinite multiplayer to drop today at 6pm! (Assuming the leaks are true! API suggests they are!)

1 Like

Are you sure you don’t want to return it to get one of these instead?

1 Like

Am so unsure about this! Like you say, really does look legit/possible… but also so crazy??

I feel like I would hate anything Gucci ever made but this really upset me the other day lol :mask:

1 Like

It’s happened!

2 Likes