Which? Guide to Challenger Banks

Which? Have just published their overview of the challenger banks.

Aside from saying that Monzo has 200k users, it gives a pretty good summary of Monzo :tada:

Edit - I spoke too soon

Also, Revolut is the only bank on this list to offer GPS security, so if someone uses your card to make a payment youā€™re told where the card is being spent so you can see any discrepancies.

(Monzo & Starling do this or at least, the equivalent too).

2 Likes

Itā€™s worth being aware that if Monzo suspects any fraudulent activity on your card it charges a Ā£30 fee, but may refund this if youā€™ve been the victim of a genuine fraud.

Whut? :o

1 Like

That is a thing to be fair. Itā€™s currently Monzoā€™s only (potential) fee & itā€™s listed in the Tā€™s & Cā€™s here.

2 Likes

Yeah, I know, itā€™s one of the very few fees and I had seen it before. But what T&C say and what is written in the article is factually off. Fee when customer asks for investigation (thatā€™s cost of investigation), not a fee applied by Monzo when Monzo ā€˜thinksā€™ something fraudulent happens. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

That fee is not if Monzo suspects fraudulent activity, but if you chargeback a transaction and they decide not to waive the cost.

The only circumstance in which they would decide not to waive the cost is if you inappropriately raised the dispute.

This fee does not (currently) exist for the current account.

There is an error regarding the info for Monese.

They claim ā€œYou can only make five free withdrawals from ATMs per month (it was previously 10) with a 50p for every withdrawal made thereafter.ā€ but this is rubbish. The current account offering is 10 free withdrawals a month, but was previously five. They got it the wrong way round.

1 Like

sighs so it looks like Which really isnā€™t so good at itā€™s job :confused:

1 Like

Yes but actually youā€™ve just reminded me :see_no_evil: after I harassed them a bit on Twitter, to their credit, they did update all of the incorrect details in the article, including the point that Marta pointed out :tada:

1 Like

Iā€™ve just started harassing them on Twitter! :joy:

3 Likes

Interesting to see Starling pay interest.

1 Like

I know what you mean (I think) but itā€™s not exactly impressive / significant :wink:

My guess is theyā€™ve done that just to get themselves on the ā€˜current accounts paying interestā€™ lists, which seems to be working..

1 Like

People are obsessed with interest rates - itā€™s a social engineering trick really because you make people feel like their getting something for nothingā€¦even if that something is only 24p!

1 Like

Yeah, and they could put those savings on actual proper interest rates. I know that accessibility to funds is crucial and not all investment plans allow for flexibility, but I actually enjoy it - I canā€™t make any hasty decisions. :wink:

Obviously, investment is always a risk, Iā€™m totally not an expert in this, but Iā€™ve been putting monies into RateSetter and got probably double the interest and no stupid limits like 2% on up to Ā£1,000, then 0.5% on more money. Iā€™m quite happy with it, despite some news about RateSetter problems (and points for them for extra transparency).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.