When will Monzo support Apple Pay?

Because speculation on another fruit company could cause issues for Monzo, and I don’t want that. Thus, I chose to go with an iCarly reference instead.

2 Likes

I really wish Mapple Pay was here, it’d go really well with my myPhone :frowning:

(In all likelihood, if it’s not here by the time my next student loan payment is sent, it’s going to Starling :frowning:)

Liam

2 Likes

You’re still allowed to carry a card even though you might habitually use apple pay.

2 Likes

I too grew up in such an era, and I could still tell you my families landline number (last used in 1998) and all my friends families landline numbers… but I have no idea whatsoever of anybody’s number if I met them after 2001 because my phone remembers reliably.

If something goes wrong with my card, I need my phone to fix it. On the pat down ‘keys? phone? wallet?’ the one that’s fast becoming anachronistic is the wallet. I do still carry mine, because I like both belt and braces (and my bloody nice wallet), but it’s annoying as hell that the only card that doesn’t work with Apple Pay is the card from the bank that’s on technology’s cutting edge :man_facepalming:

5 Likes

You have ‘Pot’s’. And look at the card! it’s Coral!

1 Like

Apologies for being pedantic but that isn’t quite correct.

Mobile devices don’t use payment card numbers, they have device account numbers which aren’t visible to the cashier. I was referencing more specifically the security code changes in each transaction using Apple Pay where as with a physical card the details never change so cloning is made much easier.

Also Apple Pay changes the security code wether the transaction uses the more modern standards of EMV or using the built in Magstripe contactless compatibility mode. It’s two different kinds of dynamic security code but you get this benefit in both scenarios. This quote below is from Apple’s security white paper.

“The service keeps customer payment information private from the retailer by replacing the customer’s credit or debit card Primary Account Number (PAN) with a tokenized Device Account Number (DAN), and creates a “dynamic security code […] generated for each transaction”.[2] The ‘dynamic security code’ is the cryptogram in an EMV-mode transaction, and the Dynamic Card Verification Value (dCVV) in a magnetic stripe data emulation-mode transaction.

2 Likes

You are indeed correct! Thus another reason to add Apple Pay support :ok_hand::ok_hand:

2 Likes

The security codes absolutely change with physical card transactions! That’s how EMV prevents cloning. As for DANs not being visible to the cashier - well, they can’t read the card with their eyes, but they are skimmable. Not that it matters, they’re useless.

So does contactless magstripe on a physical card, nothing new there. The issue is that there is nothing transaction specific about the generation, so pre-play attacks are feasible. Pre-play attacks would be harder on Apple Pay since it would be much harder to get a read without your consent.

The only part of that unique to mobile wallets is the DAN (tokenised PAN).

3 Likes

I love the :monzo: forum… sometimes you read something that really makes you feel less intelligent… good knowledge

4 Likes

I think you misunderstood. I mean the printed security code on the back of the card. Not the dynamic codes using contactless card transactions. My point around security from my original post was that with a standard chip and pin card, the three digits on the back will never change so when you pop your card in a reader for a chip and pin transaction, it’s much easier to steal and thus use that information because those digits never change.

From a security benefit for the user, you never have to expose any card details to the eyes of the public or potentially have the card cloned :stuck_out_tongue: I realise that wasn’t clear in my original post.

Those digits are only printed on the card and aren’t on the chip or relevant to Apple Pay at all. They are known as the CVV2 or CVC2 and only used for card not present.

2 Likes

Again not the point I was making. They’re totally relevant in to why somebody would benefit in choosing to use Apple Pay. They remove the printed security code from the equation. Why put myself at risk using a physical card with printed digits when I can use Apple Pay which eliminates the need. That is exactly why this point was made in my original post because I DON’T expose a printed security code when using Apple Pay. I’m fully aware the CV2 security code isn’t relevant to Apple Pay.

1 Like

But it doesn’t change… It just isn’t there. And it’s not on the chip so even using the physical card it can’t be skimmed.

1 Like

Yep. I agree. It feels so at odds with what Monzo are trying to achieve and I believe they stand for.

1 Like

It can’t be skimmed from the chip but somebody could easily look at your card and see the code on the signature strip. In a restaurant when you hand over your card to pay, or when you put your card in an ATM fraudsters can and do attach readers that take images of your card so it doesn’t matter if the CV2 number is embedded in the chip or not. You can withdraw cash with Apple Pay at some ATM’s now which would negate the need to put your card in these potentially fraudulent readers. Existing cards aren’t secure. They aren’t something for anybody to feel great about. They’re just average.

In the states it’s even worse because if you spend on your card abroad, they actually actively look at your cards signature strip when you make payments. Many of the point of sales systems out their still haven’t been updated despite fines making merchants liable for fraudulent transactions that came into effect in 2015.

I want Apple Pay because physical cards in my opinion are outdated and the security, privacy and simplicity of mobile payments will only continue to improve.

That’s news to me. Do you know which ones?

EMV is incredibly secure. Fraud against physical cards is almost always non-EMV (with a tiny bit of lost/stolen).

2 Likes

also Wells Fargo in the US and I believe some banks in China also support it. I have not heard of it being supported in UK, however Barclays has a contactless ATMs so those might support it?

1 Like

Thanks for that. Santander also have contactless ATMs. I’m not aware that either of them accept Apple Pay. :slightly_frowning_face:

Specifically not Apple Pay, Android only - using their app