What's the worst feature of your legacy bank?

The app sandboxing and security enclave on the iphone is way superior to any protection you may have on a pc. Even using qubes OS you only get sandboxing.

1 Like

I beg to differ, this is my idea of a nightmare. I dislike speaking to someone over the phone, having to wait on hold for ages, them having to consult other people about a specific problem, being unable to do anything else but wait on the phone.
I’d rather message someone, have them give me the explanation in text so I can look back at it/ understand it instead of having to wrangle with listening/remembering. I wouldn’t mind having an online site, but I hardly use my laptop for banking anyway. I’m glad my legacy bank doesn’t force me to add payees on a laptop (which some do).

Everything is on my phone. I mostly use the app for my legacy bank. I only use my laptop when- guess what- I have to use my phone to call up my legacy bank/ sort through finances/ etc.

I don’t have in-depth info on what’s best for security, but I hate the system most legacy banks use. Why would only putting in the 1/5/7 number be more secure? It’s so much hassle- and if it’s not much more secure I’d rather it be more convenient.

16 Likes

6 Likes

I agree with some of your points, but in a slightly different aspect.

Human beings - Monzo gives me more human touch via chat messages then people I spoke with in a bank. I once asked (I was kinda trolling) to explain what APR is, and that person didn’t know. Employee asked manager to step in, who then, very badly explained the concept of APR. In my personal experience, I only spoke with mindless robots in banks, not with real humans, I swear they are barely allowed to smile.

Website banking. Thing is, when I travel I don’t have my laptop with me. So I need a bank that allows me to do everything I need to do via mobile app - many banks don’t have apps that allow it. When I was travelling, I had to pay for a trip (transfer money), Metrobank app doesn’t allow to add new payees, so I had to go through major pain of adding new payee on mobile browser.
More convenient alternatives when travelling, could be to use PC in internet cafe (:scream:) or some other borrowed device and that’s the opposite of safe! :smiley:
I do agree that website is somewhat ‘a must’ (long term), I prefer to do certain things on a big screen, but the real requirement is not forcing me to use it, like old school banks force me to.

6 Likes

Oh one more stupid “security” thing courtesy of Nationwide - when they send you an email they include your postcode and tell you to trust the message if the postcode is correct as it must be from them. You know postcodes, probably the most publicly known info about you after your name - even your pizza delivery driver knows it. :wink:

5 Likes

Oh one more stupid “security” thing courtesy of Nationwide - when they send you an email they include your postcode and tell you to trust the message if the postcode is correct as it must be from them.

Yeah, this is silly. I don’t think they use DMARC either (at least not on nationwide-communications.co.uk) which would really help for identifying phishing attacks as they happen.

2 Likes

Being able to cash in cheques/cash somewhere and I particular (for Lloyd’s) at some ATMs which is soooo useful.

2 Likes

I like the fact that the online bank I use, comes with a overdraft as standard and only charges debit interest when it’s used, not a daily charge.

2 Likes

Not actually knowing what money I have available to spend. Does my current balance include everything that I’ve spent in the last few days? Are my direct debits already paid? Is my overdraft included in the ‘Available balance’ or not? (it is with TSB, but I used Nationwide for a few months and they didn’t count it as ‘available’ which caused me a lot of stress until I realised what was going on).

When charges are added I have to hope I spot the envelope they’re sent in, which looks like junk mail. They seem to have an arbitary date my overdraft usage/unauthorised overdraft/returned DD fees are taken out near the start of the month.

Calling up to ask a question a nightmare, you have to listen to countless menus before you get to speak to someone, and they inevitably want to pass you on to another department where you need to explain it all again, and give your security answers again. (Worst is when they call ME and I have to prove I am who I say I am - I refuse now, it could be anyone calling up to find out my date of birth and various digits of my security codes).

4 Likes

Yes! Why they can’t transfer you internally without re-authenticating you is beyond me. They don’t trust their internal systems?

5 Likes

Getting an email from a bank where I closed my account about 2 1/2 years ago telling me of 5 months of weekend system outages!

1 Like

Being able to pay in cheques and cash at branch.

2 Likes

This subject is so interesting that I see Starling have replicated it (not for the first time, I’m sure) :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

@tbutz you can blame me for creating it as thought a really interesting subject.

For me…

• the silly little keypad for authorising bank transfers. I literally never have it on me when I need it most.
  • having to remember numerous bits of random data in order to log in
  • regular internet banking downtime
  • that my account balance is never up to date
  • that spends take days to appear in my statement
  • that I have to call them to tell them I’ve lost my card
  • the security questions I have to go through - sometimes multiple times in one call - to get anything done
  • having to call them and wait in a queue
  • charges
  • whittling of interest rates*

*whilst Monzo won’t offer interest - it’s the fact I opened accounts with good interest and now it’s as good as zero that annoys me

2 Likes

IMG_1237

Way to go RBS you’re awesome :clap:t2:

:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

@hugo I hope you are paying attention!

6 Likes

the inability to do so many things through app or online is so irritating with legacy. Sorry, you have to phone us up and wait on hold for ages to get this done :unamused: and we won’t make it easy for you while we try to sell you something else :unamused: in-app chat is so the way forward, although I’ve only ever used it once as monzo just works for me :blush: :+1:

2 Likes

They are unethical in their investments, like arms companies.

They charge too much to use the card abroad.

I can’t speak to the bank on behalf of my grandmother who can’t hear well on the phone.

2 Likes

For me it’s the amount of times you need to scream at your phone like a madman so the computerised system recognises what option I want, poor neighbours think I’m possessed every time I scream…I’m surprised I haven’t lost my voice each time I make a call to the bank :rofl:

Another thing is the fact that you need to tell the bank your holiday schedule, weirdly I don’t have this issue with Amex (they said I don’t need to notify them and there is no option on their website which is rather strange) :man_shrugging:

For voice recognition IVRs either swearing or pressing random numbers often bypasses it and it falls back to a number-based system or even better, a human. You should try it next time. :wink:

Also see http://www.dialahuman.com and https://gethuman.com