What's the last bit of tech you bought?

I bought another Hue remote, just because I couldn’t find anything else and I know I’ll need/want more of these so made sense to get it while I had £10 off.

Dyson’s customer service is :ok_hand:

My battery had started cutting out, outside of warranty, though they said they’d test and replace it with the standard £99 service, which was great given it wouldn’t be much more expensive than buying a new battery.

Sent it off. Chalked the battery up to a fault, replaced it, and carried out the full service free of charge.

I had similarly great experiences when their older fan heaters were recalled and their fix for the fire issue resulted in the motors eventually dying. They just kept replacing it for free every time, and eventually upgraded me to the latest model (jet focus one at the time) for free. That one worked flawlessly for years until I recently replaced it with the new formaldehyde purifier. Like the cordless vacuums, these seem to improve leaps and bounds each generation too. This purifier actually manages to push out more air than my Vornado, which no other fan has been able to rival before, and it’s purified air too.

Dyson take good care of their customers, and as long as that remains true, I’ll never buy anything else.

Little tip for folks though, if you’re ever buying a new dyson machine of any kind to replace an older one, call first. They’ll give you a discount somewhere between 10 and 30%.

3 Likes

Ahhh that’s good to know.

I didn’t use Dyson customer services, it was just some random local small appliance store that sells all sorts or products as well as servicing/repairing washers, vacuums and the sorts. I think it was only £20 too.

1 Like

We’ve had a fair few Dysons and their service has indeed been great, although I’d argue that’s part of what you’re paying the premium for.

We bought a Shark a few years back which was less than half the price of our old Dyson and the Mrs loves it way more. It’s not as nice but it’s better designed IMHO.

It has a five year warranty but we’ve had no need to use it yet so the jury is out on how good their service is. But assuming it lasts 4-5 years I’d happily just buy another.

1 Like

I bought a Dyson animal version, must be nearly 8 years back now. It’s taken some abuse and still going strong, it doesn’t just have to deal with a normal daily quick vacuuming and done.

It’s constantly getting rid of hay, straw, dried grass, then all the dust associated with that too. Animal bedding which is a bit like paper pulp, rabbit hair, rabbit droppings. The list goes on. All the stuff they’d never of dreamt of in the Dyson lab, it’s a trooper.

I bought a few more filters for it which go inside the dirt bucket bit, as they can soon clog and need washing with all its having to pick up. Can’t remember which brand I had before this, but it basically died from the work it was doing after 2 years.

The rabbits have tried to kill this one, they’ve grabbed the flex cord a few times. It’s survived, they’ve not managed to get to it long enough to cut the wire off though :sweat_smile:

Do they only give discount to replace older models?

I really want a Pure Cool Me.

Or if anyone has any better suggestions for something that will purify the air for hayfever sufferers in our household I’d really appreciate it :pray:

Seems not everyone is convinced that the product fits a niche:

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2019/03/is-the-pure-cool-me-dysons-most-pointless-product-yet/

Past couple of years I’ve considered buying an air purifier myself, but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. If I do, though, I think I’d rather go for one that will do a room-sized volume of air, and probably non-Dyson so my money is going on the product and not the name.

1 Like

A large room one would be my preference too but I’m not paying £500 + that dyson want.

I have a which? Subscription so have just read the full review which is disappointing but they didn’t test the purification :neutral_face:

1 Like

I’m not entirely sure, I’ve only got them when upgrading from an older model to a new model of the same product line. No harm in calling and asking, I suppose. I wish they had an online portal for this like the do in the US.

My friend has one of these fans and absolutely loves it. Personally I don’t see the point and would opt for the full sized fans.

As I said, that would be why I’d buy something non-Dyson instead. As much as I like their aesthetics, I’m not going to pay over the odds for it when you can get units that do as good or better at filtering for a hundred or two less.

I came close to buying a Which-recommended one last year but had trouble finding it in stock anywhere, ultimately failed to pull the trigger before summer was over.

I bought a new camera lens. 12mm F/2 Rokinon for landscapes and Astro photography. So far, it’s great.

2 Likes

Bought one last week from their refurb store. I think it’s excellent.

Personally, I’m fine with hayfever but my girlfriend has been suffering really badly lately. The first day/night we had it, she slept much better and has been much better since.

They are expensive but it cools the room and it’s either cleaning the air or there’s a huge placebo/coincidence going on, either way, it’s a small price to pay to be able to sleep.

1 Like

I didn’t know they had a refurb store, I’ll check it out now!

I want it for my partner too, I don’t necessarily want it to cool the room though. I just want it to filter the air :confused:

It made it £250 rather than £300 and still get the Dyson warranty too.

1 Like

Are you talking about their eBay store? Def a great shout for a deal and a quality item.

They have an outlet part of their site too.

2 Likes

Treated myself to a new scale.

Looking forward to not having to faff with my phone or the oven timer in order to time my pour-overs, and also not being left in a bind when the battery is running low (old scale would abruptly stop working and I never had the odd sized batteries to hand. This one? Just recharge it!)

It’s a lot smaller than I thought it would be :sweat_smile:

1 Like

That’s a very pricey set of scales :open_mouth:

I imagine they’re worth it though because coffee is life, but I still don’t understand what they’re for? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve been looking at smart scales for a while, or at least something with a timer integrated.

Never bit the bullet though, as I’ve always got on with my phone. (Although I was considering trying to bodge a timer of sorts with a rPi or an Arduino nano but gave up on that).

The benefit is for pour over styles of coffee, where you have multiple ‘stage’ brews - for a V60 coffee maker for example, a common approach is a small initial bloom, and a two stage pour.

Using scales and a timer just allows you to keep consistent in each step really. Once I get a gooseneck kettle for better pouring control I’ll probably upgrade my scales too

1 Like

You can use your phone as a scale? :exploding_head:

2 Likes