What's the last bit of tech you bought?

I ordered mine way back on April :rofl:

The 'That thing that shall not be named" kept pushing back their delivery date.

1 Like

How is it, have been close to ordering one a couple of times now

Fire TV Cube :slight_smile:

Oh it’s great, super comfortable and feels really high quality.

Totally recommend getting one.

1 Like

I bit the bullet last night and got a Tado 10 minutes before Prime Day Deals went off, will be returning the Nest. Out of the box HomeKit and multi room control was too much utility to let the Nest win purely based on how good they look

3 Likes

Love the look of the Tado, i would have loved to get one because the saving was so great but I have no idea what type of boiler my house has that i’m moving into in January haha.

Ahh no, Amazon’s holiday seasons extended returns is active now, you can return until Jan 31st i believe, should’ve taken a leap.

I found out from Tado that it didn’t matter what Starter Kit i got for mine as I could have made either work, just slightly different ways

Ahh shizzle. Well, there’s still Black Friday and Cyber Monday to look forward to, I’ve no doubt there will be some sort of deal on them!

Yh, I’m hoping there will be on Black Friday as for some reason the deal on the single radiator thermostats ended 5 minutes early and i hadn’t ordered enough :confused: Complained to Amazon hoping they’d honour the price but it was a no go

:crossed_fingers:t2:for Black Friday

Hopefully, I can confirm just how many radiators the house has before then as well haha due another visit with the vendors but bit difficult with Covid, and with the vendors being elderly I don’t want to even contemplate risking it. Them on the other hand don’t give a damn and keep calling to see if I want to go round for a cuppa :joy:

At the risk of turning this into a smart thermostat thread, what benefits do people get from these vs a bog standard one?

Laziness :rofl:

Edit: On a more serious note, they supposedly save you money, :crossed_fingers: the Tado will allow us to heat our house a bit more evenly, having 1 thermostat that controls the whole house is wasteful and silly, as soon as that location reaches temperature the heating goes off, regardless of if the other rooms got there first or are lagging behind.

Our walls are really think Brickwork and the house doesn’t heat evenly at all. We have a nice log burner in the living room but because of the walls, it doesn’t tend to share the heat from the rest of the house, as a massive tech lover, being able to just tap a button on my phone to turn the radiator off in the lounge if we have the log burner on but still want the heating on for the kids bedrooms is a massive win!

Plus for utility, being able to have it know when you all leave home so turn it off if you forgot, or vice versa, be able to turn the heating on on your way home so the house isn’t cold if you’ve been out all day.

There’s a few reasons, pick on :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah pretty much what @Addzy said, laziness haha plus I’m a massive tech enthusiast.

In the interest of bringing this back on topic, the last tech I bought was the new iPad Pro. Unless you count my PS5 preorder.

1 Like

As I was living by myself when I bought mine, the big reason I wanted it was so that when my plans changed, I wasn’t heating an empty house.

If I had it set to come on at 5 so it’s toasty when I get home from work, that’s a bit pointless if I’m going out and don’t get home until 11 or if I didn’t come home at all, I didn’t need it to come on in the morning.

Plus, obvs the nerd advantage.

1 Like

Would be interested to hear your take when you’ve got it up and running.

Have been looking for the house we may be buying but who knows how long away that is.

I wonder if there’s any of these Smart thermostats I can link to IFTTT?

If Monzo Balance <£X turn the heating off…

I love tech but it also saves you a lot of money too.

• It’s clever enough to know when nobody is home so it doesn’t heat when everyone is out
  • It takes into consideration humidity and outside temperatures
  • It learns your schedule so if you arrive home at 6pm and it’s below what you’d normally have the temperature set to. It will know how long it takes to heat your home and will do it efficiently over a longer period prior to you getting home instead of you blasting it out on full whack when you get home.
  • It gamifies you being efficient by rewarding you with leafs
  • You can see a history of how much you’ve used, when, how long the heating was on for etc.

There’s probably a lot more that I’ve forgotten about too.

1 Like

Nest used to be able to if you connected it before Google took over.

Google then removed the IFTTT connection in favour of doing the same thing through their Google Assistant.

1 Like

Aha, another reason i went with Tado: https://ifttt.com/tado_heating

1 Like

Dammit I should have bought one yesterday.

1 Like

They did big discounts on BF too, that’s when I got mine.

1 Like