What's the last bit of tech you bought?

I’ve just watched the virtual tour from my new house, counting the radiators. That’s a weird thing to find myself doing on a Thursday.

3 Likes

There is a cost now per month for Tado for it to automatically turn the heating off when you’re out.

You can get the notifications for free still for it to tell you that you’re out and you’ve left it on. And open window detection, for when one of the family wants to warm the street.

You can recreate the turn off when you’re out with IFTTT though can’t you? I’d probably trial Auto Assist anyway but i’d of thought you can

2 Likes

Very interesting! May have to look into one for our house then

Tado arrived about 15 minutes ago, thermostat is set up already, super easy!

I liked the look of the nest because it was so different to anything else and feels almost Appley, however, having a tado in real life now, I like how it just blends itself in and draws 0 attention

4 Likes

Tado is great. I’m sad, I worked out buying auto assist for the winter months I need is cheaper than the annual fee. Now all wfh though, there is no point to it at all…! I also find I have never really used the Siri options with my HomePod as the flexible scheduling works well. Can be a bit cumbersome on lots of rooms though on initial setup! Not played with ifttt either.

Been playing around with the AirPods today. Spatial Audio is absolutely phenomenal. Actually makes me want to watch movies on my iPad Pro rather than my telly.

Anyone got airpods to work with linux at all.

Tried on both arch on my desktop and on my thinkpad running ubuntu with no luck.
I use a pair of sennheiser wired headphones on my desktop so it was just to test.

Would test with windows but I don’t have it installed on anything apart from VM’s.

The latest bit of tech I bought was an Echo Plus (2nd gen) with a Philips Hue bulb that Amazon conveniently forgot to include

It’s such a big upgrade in sound quality over my previous Google Nest Mini (which in turn was a big upgrade over the 1st gen Echo Dot). I do find it’s a bit too bass-heavy for my taste. I switched back to Echo for the Apple Music compatibility since Apple One is coming soon

In other news, my iPad (10.5” Pro) is starting to show its age… battery goes lightning fast and Safari can hang for a minute when I open it and try to interact with it straightaway. Not sure if a £99 battery replacement could solve these issues, or if I should wait until the next Pro and upgrade. It’s my only computer (What’s a computer?) and it only really gets used when I need the bigger screen for something

I have the 9.7 inch Pro, and it still works great, battery is fine and no speed issues. I’ve used it everyday for 4 years. I’m upgrading to the new 11 inch Pro this week but giving the old one to my Dad.

Is your storage full?

1 Like

Settings say 36ish used out of 64 so that shouldn’t be a problem… not sure what’s going on

If I could, I would keep this for a few more years as I have no other issues with it honestly

Maybe try this?

I’ve had tado for a year now and it’s the tits.

I pay for auto assist and it has very much been a case of set and forget. The HomeKit support was a big reason for me choosing tado, but honestly I very rarely have to adjust the heating - it all just takes care of itself.

I doubt you’ll regret it.

1 Like

Maybe just a full reset and restore? It’s annoying but often solves any gremlins that are lurking in the system.

I just got a 11” pro. Although the chip base is two years old, it just flies, it is pretty crazy. I considered the new Air but I would miss the refresh rate of the pro too much.

Got PIA VPN yesterday - 98+% quidco so 26 months for the grand total of less than £3 and works perfectly on up to 10 devices.

1 Like

Glad it’s quick! I’m a bit annoyed that they haven’t put the A14 in the Pro yet, probably be March unfortunately. But I need a new iPad now for Uni so got to pull the trigger with the Back to School offer.

The Air isn’t included in the Back to School promotion unfortunately, but I’m getting a free pair of AirPods with my Pro. So I’ll sell them and it brings the cost down by a bit. How are you finding Face ID? I’d much rather have Touch ID on the iPad but the pricing on the Air is silly with no 128gb tier.

I’ve used them in the past. Generally good, but spotty connection occasionally and more and more websites started treating their IP addresses as suspicious, which was annoying.

Crazy cheap deals like this make me worry they’re going down the pan :pensive:, so let us know how you get on.

1 Like

Totally seemless just like on my iPhone :+1:

1 Like

Face ID Works surprisingly well on the iPad Pro. Due to working in landscape and portrait it is a little bit better than iPhone.