What's the last bit of tech you bought?

Anyone got the Apple Watch Ultra?

Many people probably. @mikez

1 Like

Delivery today :grin:

Whether I keep it or not depends on how it looks on my rather skinny wrist…

2 Likes

Which combo did you go for? Where did you order from? Tempted to jump on one from Amazon but had some dodgy deliveries from them in the past with stuff being stolen.

EDIT: how skinny?

Ordered from Amazon. I’ve never had any issues with deliveries going missing and tend to get the same guy in the Prime van. Amazon have sent me a 6-digit code to give to the driver with it being a valuable item.

Measured my wrist yesterday and it’s around 170mm in circumference. Used to be more but I lost 3 stone a couple of years ago.

Snap, lost 3 stone during 2020 lockdown and my wrist is 170mm haha, be nice to see some pics when yours turns up then!

Might be just the push I need. :sweat_smile:

I’ll see what I can do :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have a similar sized wrist to you two and when I tried it on last week, I thought it was noticeably bigger but not in a “this is way too big” way.

Here’s a thing I’ve learned over the years as a somewhat serious watch enthusiast. A lot of people are very self conscious about wearing a large or even large-ish watch. “I’ve got small wrists, I don’t know if I can pull it off” is a sentiment expressed dozens of times per day, every day, on watch forums the world over. But it’s almost never the case that you, the wearer, look bad wearing a too-big watch. It’s that the watch itself looks too big. It’s the watch, not the wearer. But we humans are self-conscious beings, and a first-person perspective of your own wrist is not at all like the perspective of others looking at your wrist.

What I’m saying here is that if you go to a store and try on an Apple Watch Ultra, there is a very good chance your reaction is going to be “This is way too big for me.” If you’re thinking that because you don’t like the way it looks, well, then Ultra is not for you. Your watch should make you happy every time you look at it. But if you’re thinking “this is too big for me” because you’re worried about how others will think it looks on your wrist, you’re overthinking it. If you like it, wear it. People — men and women alike — with even small wrists can get away with surprisingly large watches. Buy the watch that makes you happy. That’s my advice for any watch.

4 Likes

Good advice there, did you buy the Ultra or was it not for you?

1 Like

If I had the money, I’d have one. The size didn’t put me off it.

1 Like

OMG. Just discovered that the Digital Crown controls volume in podcasts. This is life changing! :exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head:

Podcasts, Now Playing, Music etc…

2 Likes

I didn’t know that!

I usually just reach into my pocket and press the volume bottoms, easy enough to find

Same. And TBH that’s always been fine.

But who doesn’t like a good ol’ knob! :joy:

4 Likes

Look at you all with your pockets that hold a phone :grin::wink:

7 Likes

It’s big and it’s heavier than the Series 8 but not as heavy as I thought it would be. The strap is very comfy and fits perfectly around my wrist. Some of the reviewers were saying that their wrist size was kind of half way between two of the strap settings so it ended up a bit too tight or a bit too loose, but it’s spot on for me.

Anyway, a photo:

6 Likes

Looks awesome, I’m going to keep my eye out for the ocean band combo I think.

3 Likes

The display on the Ultra is quite incredible (the photos here do not do it justice). Even without lifting your wrist, the display itself is extremely bright. I’d like to see Apple rollout out the night mode (remove all blue from the display) to other faces other than keep it on Wayfinder, but otherwise I much prefer the Ultra to the series 7/8.

Oh, and I’m about to go into the third day without having to charge the battery - the staimina of this thing is quite incredible thanks to the 76% larger battery over the regular series 7/8.

2 Likes

It’s a shame they’re not doing more UI wise with the massive screen.

1 Like

Looks like they lost a lot of potential screen with the black edges there, im a little unsure why they didnt just make the case and the screen all aligned and make the screen bigger and negate the drop?