What's the last bit of tech you bought?

They’re bloody hard to come by (at least from reputable brands)!

I finally pulled my finger out and set this up the other week - nearly a year later :rofl:

Here’s before, and during…

And after which I’m pretty happy with…

So a huge difference in the end, considering I have zero mobile signal.

4 Likes

Love stuff like this. The ispreview forums have so much nerd stuff :nerd_face:

2 Likes

So I’m looking for a bit of advice or experience from this thread.
I’m a bit of a wearable addict lately. I love my Fitbit Charge 5 but I’m wanting something else :joy:
I’ve got my eyes on the Garmin Instinct 2 Solar, it looks old school, and come on it has a solar panel face with like a month to unlimited battery life (depending on sun).

So the question, does anyone have any experience moving from Fitbit to Garmin or vice versa? How the apps are, accuracy or GPS and heart rate, etc?

Have a look at the Garmin Forerunner 955 or the Fenix 7

I always buy Garmin, as think they are better with battery life on the 955 at over a week, OK its not an Apple Watch or Samsung Watch, but its more durable the fitness aspect is out of this world…

Have a neb at dcrainmaker.com as Ray does lots of comparisons and tests with all watches…

2 Likes

They look amazing, but are probably a bit too “advanced” for me.
I’d consider myself a beginner in terms of hiking, walking and general fitness. Not sure I’d use all their features.

2 Likes

I’ve been using Garmin for the last few years - currently Vivoactive 3 and prior to that one of the Vivomoves. I can’t remember if tried Fitbit prior to that but I have spent time looking at the Fitbit app used by friends and reading various reviews.

It seems to me Garmin is better if you want detailed data about workouts, so is favoured by those who take fitness/training quite seriously. Fitbit seems to me more suited to those with more casual health/fitness aspirations and the app seems a bit more user friendly. I also have the impression its better for sleep tracking.

Garmin is actually generally overkill for my needs, but I use it because I wanted swim tracking a few years ago and at the time Fitbit didn’t have that functionality (not sure if it does now). If/when my Vivoactive stops working or stops being supported I’ll probably consider Fitbit again.

1 Like

Hmm yeah you’re probably right about Garmin being overkill in that regard.
To be fair the Charge 5 works really well, although I wish they hadn’t got rid of the altimeter.

Not sure if this can be classed as “tech”, but I got a Heroclip so I can keep my bags off the floor when out and about - I could have done with one a few years back when I had to put my brand new travel backpack on a pee-soaked floor (some people must have a very bad aim! :joy:) at Vienna Airport because none of the cubicles had hooks on the door!

13 Likes

I’ve switched the other way.

The Garmin app is less user friendly as are the watches. They are also generally (in my opinion) less visually attractive. However they do give you far more data in terms of, say, long distance running you can easily see all the things that long distance runners talk and think about.

With Garmin it’s pretty clear it was designed by people who are well into the relevant sports. With Fitbit it’s clear it was designed by a tech company with the ‘average user experience’ at the forefront.

So take your pick! Both great in different ways

1 Like

Thank you :slightly_smiling_face: I think the fact I’m not a professional runner or anywhere near that level has made me stick with my Fitbit Charge 5.
It is rock solid, it looks good, battery life is ok and the GPS works well. Suppose that’s all I really need.

1 Like

Speaking of smart watches and fitness trackers I went from a ticwatch to a fitbit, to an oppo watch, back to a fitbit, and now currently I’m rocking this classic.

It’s all part of my attempts to reduce the amount of time I’m wasting (for me personally) getting distracted by my phone and other bits of tech.
I’ve also dialled my phone notifications right back, calls being the only thing that causes it to vibrate, and some other apps are not permitted to show banners/pop ups/badges.

Don’t get me wrong I still waste time now and again but it’s when I consciously choose to go into an app and not as a reflex after getting a notification. I’m also probably doing more exercise than at any point in the past 10years.

5 Likes

OMG you’ve blown my mind! :exploding_head:

I’m literally that person who refuses to put their bag on the floor!

5 Likes

Definite same. My notifications are basically, calls and texts make a noise, Monzo and WhatsApp create banners, a small selection (6 total) of apps are allowed to make the little red dots on the home screen, no other notifications are allowed at all. It’s much better.

I still couldn’t live without my Fitbit although unsurprisingly it absolutely isn’t allowed to send like messages through and stuff. It’s mostly just a watch apart from when exercising.

2 Likes

I’m the same - even if I know the floor is clean! Here’s the website if you’re interested https://www.myheroclip.co.uk

1 Like

The floor is never clean!!! :microbe::microbe::microbe:

2 Likes

Had these in black before but sold them a while ago, missed them and thought I’d get them in pink this time :headphones:

7 Likes

Just picked up a Ticwatch E3 because the band on my Huawei broke and the Pixel watch may be months away.

It’s like a sibling to the huawei… same size, although only a plastic band vs. the leather of the huawei. Still running tests on battery life - currently I’ve got everything switched on (24/7 heart monitoring, 24/7 O2 monitoring, always on display…), which is probably being a little unfair for the testing but I wanted a worst case baseline. Seems to be heading for a couple of days on that, which isn’t horrible.

1 Like

I just ordered a 3D resin printer. Arrives tomorrow and then the fun begins

3 Likes

How much do those go for these days?

1 Like