What's the last bit of tech you bought?

I’m off to London at the weekend, driving, and my car air con has broken! :astonished: :hot_face:

Any Prime Day purchases?

I’ve been on the lookout and haven’t been enticed by anything :person_shrugging:

2 Likes

Been after these HomeKit plugs for a while and was in the prime day deals today

3 Likes

14TB Hard drive so my NAS is now full with all 4 disks in use
Blink doorbell + sync module + echo show 5 - Video doorbell with no fees
Blink mini - chime + camera for stairs
Robot vaccum - eufy X8 wanted one for a while.

All of these using a combination of AMEX PayPal discount and cashback (bar the blinks). Saved around £80 extra on top of the already offered discounts.

1 Like

Was going to buy one of these yesterday for £12.79. Glad I waited till today :joy:

2 Likes

ooooh niceeee!!! i blew all my money on a 3 week american holiday so i cannot prime day this year :joy:

4 Likes

I bought a new Air Fryer in Prime Day, been waiting for Prime for a few weeks thinking it would go down significantly which it did.

Also have emails fro SpaceX today to let me know that all my Starlink gear(courtesy of work) is now on the way.

I looked into this a while back and it wasn’t available in my area. Now it is!

The main thing for me is the cost, but I’d be interested to know what it’s like especially with gaming.

Hardware: £529.00
Shipping & Handling: £55.00
Service: £89.00 /mo

Yh the price has always put me off, fortunately my boss is footing the bill, depending on it’s performance I may well end up cancelling our domestic broadband and using it for everything, I will log on to Destiny on the Series X once it’s set up just for you(any excuse to play) and report back.

Unfortunately though the cost keeps going up too as we found. Unless you want to leave the dish on a small stand on the floor, you need to fork out extra for a wall/ceiling mount etc, a cable mounting kit and then if you want to hardwire devices then an ethernet adapter too as there is no sockets on the router. Overall I think we needed to order something like another £150 worth of accessories which is a bit of a con

3 Likes

Woah :open_mouth:

A totally different pricing model to their cars then, that are known for very few options.

1 Like

What’s worse is they try to hide this from you. You physically can’t visit the shop until you have ordered your first Starlink so you have no idea what other bits you may need until it’s too late.

You can buy additional routers to build a mesh network at £149 a pop

Arguably you would know if you need extra WiFi range or mounting equipment, the same with any ISP broadband equipment.

They also announced a maritime plan for $5k a month.

Potentially extra wifi range(which wasn’t really my point as it’s not a necessity) but i’d disagree on the mounting equipment. From a rather basic point of view, if you have only ever had broadband over preexisting lines like many/majority of people then if you pay £530 for the hardware to set up Starlink, you’d sort of expect everything you need to be there. Not dig through the Faqs or poke about online to find out you need to fork out more.

Just my point of view though, I did know I would need a mount prior but thats because I did do a lot of digging, not everybody would do the same

4 Likes

Be aware they can be a PITA to get set up but keep trying. It helps if you sign your phone onto a dedicated 2.4Ghz SSID then try adding them.

1 Like

There’s another hidden cost that’s always overlooked too. And is very important, especially in this climate: the energy usage.

Starlink is not energy efficient at all and is very expensive to run vs the traditional approach. That always put me off more than the setup costs, because those recur for life.

I think someone estimated the annual electricity running costs for Starlink to be around £180 per year vs a typical router costing about £20. That was when costs were about 50% cheaper than they are now. Worth bearing in mind.

3 Likes

Anyone order the Nothing Phone?

I’m intrigued to see how it actually performs.

So far it looks like a broken iPhone running Android. Hard pass.

3 Likes

Not ordered one but I’m pretty curious about it. I quite like the design even if it does look a bit like an iPhone, I really wish transparency/translucency would come back to tech, metal and glass slabs are boring. The midrange processor shouldn’t be much of an issue for most people either (I suppose unless they game/video/do heavy photo editing on their phones).

2 Likes

Not gonna lie. I kinda want it.

1 Like

I got some airpods recently - anyone have any tips for using them on windows? The quality is terrible but I was hoping to use them for calls.