What's the best feature of your legacy bank?

I would say, only if you haven’t been educated on how/when to use them responsibly. I know I never got any financial education in school, all I’ve ever had to go on was good/bad examples of people in my life, and my own research.

1 Like

To confirm: I’m 18. Can’t speak for the second bit though :wink:

1 Like

I think the NatWest mobile app is not bad, but I like the fact that they have a proper version for tablets that uses the extra space of the screen to provide a better layout and show more details and a nice-ish dashboard,

6 Likes

The biggest and most important thing is I get a good interest rate for any funds up too 5k.

I get a Gourmet society membership giving me discounts in a couple of my favourite restaurants. The app is easy to use and feels secure. There are other irregular discounts too although I use these infrequently

This is extremely gimmicky. So much screen real estate and yet the transaction list still looks like crap - where’s the merchant data, the logos, per-merchant spending history, etc?

Obviously I am talking here about having a proper tablet app and use the extra space to display data properly, and I’m sure Monzo will do great job with that.

I just phoned Halifax about my credit card account by pressing a link in the app, granting access to the phone, and was put through to the correct department and didn’t have to provide any card details. As the call is started there’s some beeps, as some (probably one time) code from the app is sent to provide the account information. None of this entering the card number and other security.

A few years back I was similarly impressed when to change address, I went into the branch with the new address written down, they got me to insert any account card into a chip and pin reader, enter my pin number, and after a couple of verification questions up popped all the account details, and they were able to easily update the address from what I had written.

3 Likes

I second everything that’s already been said above about First Direct. Additional features I value include:

1. Being able to transfer money instantly between accounts, 24/7
  2. So few hoops to jump through (I can’t remember the last time I had to sign a document for them)
  3. Non-judgemental customer service
  4. PDF statement downloads
2 Likes

Not sure if mentioned above, but NatWest also has the database.

The only other thing I used with them was a student account with free overdraft. Could be a nice Monzo addition someday!

Taking a photo of cheques is a nice feature of LLoyds. Not something I have to do very often but do still occasionally get one and nice to not have to go into town to pay in

3 Likes

This is in the pipeline for Monzo :blush:

Sure is!

1 Like

I know I have noticed it (But it has been on there a while) but it has been with LLyods for quite a while now so hoping it can be with Monzo sharpish

Expecting lots of Christmas cheques from elderly relatives are we? :wink:

Haha, I wish, actually using my company that gives cheques out as they are moving to a knew payment system and it is not going well

1 Like

I was with NatWest. I miss the cash back that I used to get for paying certain DD’s out of that account. That’s probably about it though.

1 Like

Single point of contact relationship manager.
Multi currency accounts.
Airline lounge access.
Airmiles / and cashback on the credit cards provided / spending.

In that order

For Nationwide, its keeping the idea of Building Societies and Mutuals going, and in a way thats progressive. I would say they are still the most important financial organisation in the country, and a strong mutual sector depends on them

2 Likes

Having worked for a BS, I always see Nationwide as quite unique, given their large size and the fact that they offer main bank accounts nationally.

1 Like

High interest rate

1 Like