What is this emoji?

Well I looked at a dictionary :woman_shrugging:

I’m genuinely interested which? I checked all reputable sources I could think of and none had it so I obviously missed one! All I could find links to were some rather dubious sites. Even Merriam Webster didn’t have it and we all know Americans love to butcher the English language every chance they get so I thought if it would be anywhere it would be there…

1 Like

Ah, that explains it.

Just a hint: next time you need the definition of a word,I suggest looking in the dictionary instead :joy:

4 Likes

Can you look in an online dictionary?

A physical one, yes

But online surely you look at? :thinking:

2 Likes

I think you might be getting a little off topic so to throw it even further off, I have a German friend who does a smiley face that looks like this : ( which I thought was a frown but he is insistent it is a smile

1 Like

Ah, the unmistakable, uniquely German smile :de:

This is just baffling. What would a frown look like for him?

What I always thought was a smiley :frowning: :slight_smile:

Are you sure it isn’t (: ?

It’s an upside down one but, if you look at it, is still a smile.

2 Likes

It could be I guess

1 Like

I would like to point out that on my iOS this emoji :pray: only appears when I type Pray :pray:.

So if it has been used X amount of times (I am guessing) by a user as high five they it will be picked up for future use I hope :crossed_fingers::joy:

1 Like

That’s quite different from this, to be fair

I know quite a few people who do smileys as in your screenshot. But noone (not even in Germany :joy:) who does them like in your quote

Typically I use it interchangeably as please or thank you, but I still type :pray when I go to use it :joy:

2 Likes

I watched the Circle earlier this year, and everyone called it “praying hands emoji” when they used it.

2 Likes

The first person on the forum to admit to watching The Circle accidentally reveals himself after falling into a ‘what does this emoji mean’ trap. An elementary error.

4 Likes