What films do you recommend?

Not strictly a recommendation (yet) but really looking forward to this. Just can’t seem to find a UK release date.

Anyone else using Letterboxd to track their viewing?

1 Like

Rewatching the Pirates of The Caribbean films this weekend. I must go through them all (certainly the first 3) at least twice a year, and by that metric alone, would make it my favourite film franchise.

Again, Maltesers from the fridge. :yum:

2 Likes

Highly recommend Northman. Eggers delivers the goods again!

1 Like

Now that all the James Bond films are on Amazon Prime Video, I just watched No Time To Die. I’m not a big Bond fan, but I can honestly say that I enjoyed this. As always, Bond’s location and stunt work is impeccable - no other film franchise can get away with something like this.

Contemplating whether to fork out the £15.99 to rent The Batman. Not keen on the price, but would still rather watch movies at home for a little while longer.

Yes, I’m looking forward to Everything Everywhere too. Looks completely nuts (and that’s okay with me). But then again, it was directed by the duo that gave us Swiss Army Man with Daniel Radcliffe as an incredibly useful corpse.

That’s pricey! Cost me £7 at the cinema. Probably worth the money though, great film, I really enjoyed it.

Yeah, but to be fair (or not - depending on one’s situation), it would cover an entire family’s trip to the cinema. But, if like me, you’re a single chap alone it is very expensive and would make more sense to go to the local cinema. :\

At least one has the option, I suppose.

1 Like

Indeed. You have the option of sitting on a nice comfy sofa with cheap drinks and snacks, and the ability to rewind, watch again etc, or you could sit in a grubby seat constantly allowing people to walk in front of the screen, all the while surrounded by a bunch of noisy hooligans. :wink:

3 Likes

Is this really the reality for some / most people?

I have two locals cinemas. One is 90s era and serviceable but nothing special. The other is two years old and, frankly, incredible, if slightly dearer.

But in either case, no one’s forcing you to buy the overpriced food and I can’t remember the last time other audience members have disrupted the viewing (the odd latecomer expected).

I don’t go to the cinema for every movie, but for the right movie it’s an experience that no home setup could ever match.

7 Likes

I can’t stomach £16 for a rental. But we frequently buy brand new releases for £14 on iTunes. When you have kids, the cost per viewing works out to pennies.

1 Like

It is for some. Probably not most. My comment was tongue-in-cheek, hence the :wink: at the end.

Of course not, that’s why I posted it as an option. Over priced, cheap, or do without.

We all have choices; mine is generally to watch a film on TV, to forego the screen size and sound, but to also enjoy the benefits of not trekking to the cinema and back.

One choice isn’t “better” than the other, just more suited to the individual making the decision.

2 Likes

For me yep, unless you put a lot of research into the timing and aren’t fussed with watching on day 1! I remember watching The Nun. Was just me and my friend in there for that viewing. That was fantastic.

I prefer watching at home, but nothing rivals the cinema experience. I really like having the choice to rent at the same time as it’s available in the cinema.

So I agree very much with this.

1 Like

i must be really tight as i moan having to pay amazon prime say 3,99 for a movie , i dont actually mind going to the cinema , we make a night out of it have a nice meal some where go to the cinema pay for the over priced drinks and sweets , i do get annoyed at the constant up and down of ppl who have to go to the toilet half way through or have to check their mobiles

1 Like

I love the cinema!

For me, I have adhd and at home I get easily distracted, in the cinema watching the film is the only thing I can do, I get so much more out of the experience generally. Also I like going out to see a movie.

Then again I live in London and have several cinemas in 20 min reach of me. I have a Cineworld card, and Cineworld let you bring your own snacks in. We usually go for a meal or drink after the film and discuss it so it makes a good, cheap evening out. I realise if my only cinema was in a retail park I had to drive to or something, things would be really different.

5 Likes

I don’t go that often, so I’m happy to pay for the big movies. I’ll pay extra for the posh seats, I want a bucket of Coke and enough popcorn to feed a family.

I don’t get distracted in the cinema, phone/watch is not going to make a sound/vibrate, I’m not tempted to grab it and scroll during a less intense scene. Plus as good as my TV/sound set up is, it’s never going to be as good as the cinema.

5 Likes

Have to admit despite the prices I’m a sucker for a huge bag of sweet and salty mixed. 25% off with the Cineworld card too, makes it not so bad.

3 Likes

It’s got to be Butterkist toffee popcorn for me all the way. Even if it sticks to anything and everything.

3 Likes

Ah but cinema popcorn is warm! That’s the key

2 Likes

I do as well (purchase new movies “to keep” from iTunes).

But there is a major caveat in that Apple can (and indeed does) remove them if the distributor starts mucking about. I had one title that I purchased removed from my library (without a refund) because the UK distributor went bankrupt. While you can download iTunes movies, you can’t download the extras or resolutions beyond HD. And if you have a large library you’re going to need a flipping big NAS.

Another thing that annoys me is when distributors start playing about with the metadata for films - I’ve occasionally bought the same film twice because I already owned it and forgot that I already had it (which is why everything is now captured in a spreadsheet).

This is why I tend to buy 4K UHD Blu-Rays as a backup or alternative.

1 Like

True, but the cinema stuff always tastes like packing pellets to me. Not that I’ve ever tried eating packing pellets…

3 Likes